Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best car for senior drivers?
Sedan 26 25.49%
SUV/Crossover 76 74.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 08:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Corvette.
Im with you on that. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 08:59 AM

I am thinking it all depends what is going on in your life. I am only 54 now so I have a long time to go before I am retired or consider myself a senior. My wife and I have talked about something that concerns her though. He mom died when she was a kid. I never knew my mother in law. She is always concerned that she will die young. She asked me what i would do if she died before I died.

I told her, first thing is that i would buy a new Harley Davidson. Depending on my age it may be a trike. Second is a Porsche. Thirdly I would not remarry. I would just want to have some fun. LOL

Old 08-27-2019, 09:08 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
She asked me what i would do if she died before I died.

I told her, first thing is that i would buy a new Harley Davidson..
Don't wait, buy it now!

I know a guy quite a bit younger than yourself, married with two young kids, who recently bought one as a toy. It's a lot of fun for him.

You don't see many seniors riding motorcycles. I do know an 80+ year old woman who recently fell of her pedal bike and broke her leg though. Perhaps it's best to stick with walking at advanced ages...

Old 08-27-2019, 09:13 AM

408 posts, read 259,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Don't buy a stodgy old sedan or SUV, buy a Miata!

Miata Is Always The Answer!

Yes. that is true. I live in Colorado and my Miata is my daily driver. My favorite thing to do is to wave to the Jeeps that slid in the ditch where there is snow on the road as I drive by. BTW, my wife drives a Subaru Forester with eyesight. I love the advanced safety features.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:36 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am thinking it all depends what is going on in your life. I am only 54 now so I have a long time to go before I am retired or consider myself a senior. My wife and I have talked about something that concerns her though. He mom died when she was a kid. I never knew my mother in law. She is always concerned that she will die young. She asked me what i would do if she died before I died.

I told her, first thing is that i would buy a new Harley Davidson. Depending on my age it may be a trike. Second is a Porsche. Thirdly I would not remarry. I would just want to have some fun. LOL
Maybe she would also enjoy a Porsche or Harley. Why wait.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:01 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
You don't see many seniors riding motorcycles. I do know an 80+ year old woman who recently fell of her pedal bike and broke her leg though. Perhaps it's best to stick with walking at advanced ages...
In my locale, most motorcycles are Harleys, and most riders are 60+, or at least 50+. Of course, few are in their 80s. But a great many are in their 60s. Yes, the stereotype is true... heavyset, hirsute (though white-haired or balding up top) men in ridiculous faux-tough getup, of course with no helmet, either alone or with their female partner clutching their waist, said partner dressed in a way that her Millennial daughter would consider to be gauche and unladylike. And the whole caravan is moving 5 mph below the speed limit, hogging (pun intended!) both lanes of the highway.

And this raises an important distinction. Retiree or near-retiree can be a person his/her 50s, without sounding like some hyperbolic provocative "You too can earn 20%/year in the stock market and retire 10 years after graduating from college". And speaking of college, the sort of thing that would interest a person who has just seen his youngest child graduate from college, is very different, from that which is reasonable for one who's already spent 15 years collecting Social Security. We can't lump the two together... whether the topic is how to invest, where to relocate, to what extent local healthcare options matter, of what vehicle to drive.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:49 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times
I'm a senior and drive (and love) a Kia Soul. It's my third Kia and I've never had any problems with any of them. Getting in and out is easy, it's reliable, it's cute, can stow bulky items easily, easy to park, good visibility and it's reasonably fuel efficient. I now live in the desert so snow isn't a worry. When I was in WI, I drove a Subaru Impreza Sport -- fabulous in snow, cute, reasonably fuel efficient, lower to the ground than the Soul, good space for bulky items, easy parking.

I'd never buy a sedan again, mostly because getting in and out of a car gets harder and harder as I get older and older.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Maybe she would also enjoy a Porsche or Harley. Why wait.
No where in my investment portfolio for a Harley or a Porsche right now. The conversation that my wife and I had concerned if she were to die at a young age when we still have kids at home. Her concern is that I would bring another woman into the picture. I told her no chance of that happening.

If either one of us were to die we would have the insurance money to pay off our home and have extra for some toys. Either of us could support ourselves if the other one was gone without the debt of the house. With our retirement accounts, when we hit retirement age we will also be fine, together, or if one of us dies.

Of course ideally we would hope to continue on with how we are living. I have another 20 years before I call it quits, as does she.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:56 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
I’m a 60-year old female and looking for a new 2019 or 2020 car. I know that everyone says not to buy new, but that’s what I want since I hope to keep my next car at least 20 years, which is how long I’ve had my current car. I’m a planner so I’m thinking into my future needs as I age, and this could be my last car.

When I started this process, I never even considered anything but a sedan because that’s the only kind I’ve owned, but I saw this article and others like it and wonder if I’d be making a mistake at this stage of my life.
https://clark.com/cars/best-cars-senior-drivers/

If I did buy an SUV, I’d definitely want the most reliable and durable smaller crossover type so it’s more compact or subcompact. As a senior driver, what do you drive, and do you prefer a sedan or SUV and why? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.

Too many unanswered questions to give you an answer. For example, how many miles a year do you drive, is it local or long distance, how many passengers, do you need to occasionally haul large items, is gas mileage important, do you have room for a larger SUV, can you drive a larger SUV, etc.

As I have aged, I like my Cadillac more than my high performance cars because it is just more comfortable and has more bells and whistles. I also drive less per year than in my earlier years.

Those are the factors that will help you make your decision. I know everyone will have their own opinions, but maybe you should stop by a KIA dealer and test out a few of their models. My one son owns everything from Corvettes to Mustangs to Chevy Suburbans, and he just bought a new KIA as his daily, and that thing is really nice and really loaded for the money. I drove it, and it is very comfortable and handles well. Just a suggestion.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:35 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Knowing that I would be retiring to snow country, I narrowed my search down to either a Subaru or a Toyota AWD RAV4. Wanted a Crosstrek hybrid, but the lack of a spare tire nixed that idea. Next test drove an Outback, but I felt claustrophobic while driving it. Drove the Forester next and the visibility was outstanding, but it felt a lot cheaper than the Outback.

Settled on the RAV4 primarily due to Toyota's reputation for reliability. Put 90,000 trouble-free miles on my 2015 Limited RAV4 at which time I traded it in on a 2018 Adventure RAV4. Only reason for trading it in was that the Adventure model can tow so much more weight, (it's the only model with the "tow package"). I am very, very happy with the RAV4 and would purchase another one, (well, I guess that's what I did).

Having had SUVs for the past decade, I cannot ever foresee going with something else. They are as useful as the station wagons of your youth.

p.s. Had a reason to use a rental last year for a few weeks. It was a Chevrolet Equinox. I was most impressed with it, but cannot say anything as to its mechanical reliability. It did quite well in the snow.

Where are you driving in snow this time of year?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement