U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 12:59 PM

6,452 posts, read 3,679,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I love ziplining. The more extreme the better. A couple of years ago, I went on a series of ziplines in Costa Rica, one of which was 4000 feet long, over a gorge. The day almost killed me, but it was oh so worth it.
Oh my gosh. We did the same thing. In our seventies.

First the zip lines, a forty-foot cliff climb, a horseback ride through the jungle, a tube ride down the rapids of a rocky river and finally a hike to the hot springs on the volcano.

Any one of those things would have been more than enough to last me a week. Glad I didn't know how strenuous it would be or I would have backed out. Had to rest for two days of the vacation afterwards, though.

But what a ball!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 01:03 PM

651 posts, read 417,228 times
zip-lining. belly dancing. being the most excited person in the house on Christmas Eve. swinging on swingsets. spinning around in circles until I fall to the ground. still love to fingerpaint. participate in many political rallies. being part of building a type of community that has never before existed. freaking people out by making my breasts[ well,now they are reconstructed "mounds"] "dance" to the beat of music. I guess that's all.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:47 PM

1,123 posts, read 441,772 times
I did a quick 10 miles on the bike this morning. My average speed was done from the 20 mph goal because I rode as close to a construction project as I could get to ascertain when a particular intersection will be opened again.

Saturday, I rode just under 50 miles with an average of just over 19 mph. Traffic lights always kill my average but we're typically rolling at 21-22 mph.

I'm looking at a new bike to address two needs. The new one is more aerodynamic and uses a different drive train than my current bike. Once I get used to the MBB (moving bottom bracket), I'll be a bit faster and due to the design, I should be a little better on the hills. At my age, I need every advantage possible to keep up with the younger riders...and kick their young asses.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:10 PM

78 posts, read 91,391 times
I deposit checks on my iphone.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:30 PM

10,707 posts, read 5,053,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Only like to text - no phone calls please
Ditto - I hate talking on the phone - text is my favorite way of communication.

Can't think of "young person" things I do; maybe driving faster than most 64 year olds? I still wear make-up and dress nice even just going to lunch but I don't know if that is considered a "young person" thing. Ditto for going to the gym & lifting weights.

Just asked my granddaughter and she said I slide on the tile floor when I have socks on like I was skating.

I also pay all my bills online; don't write checks for anything other than my lawn guy. I also deposit checks on my phone. Don't send Christmas cards anymore. All my music is on my iPhone.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:40 PM

2,957 posts, read 4,420,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
At work we say that doing a good job around here is like peeing in a pair of dark pants. It give you a nice, warm feeling but no one else notices.
Did you just say the "W" word and use it in a sentence?

Old 08-26-2019, 03:45 PM

5,296 posts, read 2,020,225 times
I love to ride the roller coaster (don't do it often enough, and it's been awhile, but I love it).

I am on the tech-savvy side for an old person - am creating a web site, browse YouTube, take pics, post on IG, FB, blog, etc.

I don't understand people who are not on social media. I love it.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:21 PM

9,645 posts, read 17,334,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
When I travel overseas, I like to stay in hostels.
Me too. So much more fun than cranky hotels because you meet people that way. Last week a met a couple of twenty something young women and traveled with them for a bit till we went our separate ways. Donít worry...Iím a sixty yo straight woman lol. They were a lot of fun.

Also I live in a house now with roommates and enjoying the experience enough that I may do it again at some other point in my life.

I hike and camp in places I should not go alone but I do.

And shhhh... I smoke a little weed sometimes and tripped on shrooms at a commune in CA last March. Again, with two young friends. life is great.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:02 PM

6,452 posts, read 3,679,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieC View Post
I deposit checks on my iphone.
Made me LOL, Maggie.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:16 PM

5,415 posts, read 696,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwfcforlife View Post
As we have old person things , what about young person things ?
OOH OOOH--this is right up my alley!!

I love going to small venue indy rock concerts. One of the things I'm really missing here in FL are "my" groups (Love love LOVE Frank Turner & the Sleeping Souls!) Back in CT concert going was a real thing with me. Yep, I'm up there next to the stage--and I can say that, yes, I've been in a mosh pit! I had a younger co-worker that would go with me either to Boston or Providence for these shows, but then she got pregnant so her focus is elsewhere these days. I started to drag my daughter--and even HER friend--to concerts--it's a done deal when I pay for their tickets and do the driving. Kid #1 and I even traveled to Buffalo to go to the very first Kerfuffle in 2014 https://www.setlist.fm/festivals/ker...-6bd69a5a.html

The dark side to this is the rampant ageism at these concerts--exclusively by young women. My feeling is: "Chickie I paid for my ticket so I have just as much right to be here as you. Oooh, and just wait--fast forward 20-30 years--karma can be such a b*tch...."

On a recent road trip my Kid #1 caught me up on her faves (Billie Eilish among them) and the one that was the most fun and got multiple plays was Ludo's Love Me Dead!

Kid#2 was down for a visit last week and introduced me to Brit Electro Pop duo 0171 and controversial Canadian rapper Tom MacDonald.

Contrary to popular opinion, there's a lot of new, interesting and really GOOD music out there. Checking this stuff out is my fountain of youth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or