U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 08:27 PM

5,415 posts, read 696,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
My "young person" thing is a teddy bear. Some years ago I was involved in a family crisis and was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. A counselor I saw noticed my distress and offered me a large teddy bear to hug while we talked. I found that this simple gesture helped relieve my anxiety and made me feel so much better. I never forgot that. So for my 60th birthday I treated myself to my own teddy bear. Now I sleep with him every night, and he's a great comfort. I had a pretty awful childhood without much emotional support, and the bear symbolizes to me the love and support I needed but didn't get. My husband has also grown quite fond of the bear. He's become like a member of the family. People may think it's silly, but I don't care. I think everyone ought to have a teddy bear!
We inherited a a medium sized teddy bear I named Bleach the Bear. He's a polar bear and when I got him he was pretty dusty so I washed him with a dose of bleach--hence the name. After the kids outgrew Bleach I brought him to work and gave him to my supervisor so that whenever she was having issues with other staff or admin she could hug Bleach as a stress reliever. Bleach was eventually returned to me and serviced other stressed out co-workers until I retired last year. He's now back with Kid #1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 08:41 PM

23 posts, read 10,321 times
I ski, paddle board, do yoga, run and hike. And do the occasional cartwheel just to make sure I still can. I too love roller coasters. When I travel I like to check out hip vintage stores and flea markets. I keep up with fashion (but try to do so in an age-appropriate way, I don't want to look like 'mutton dressed as lamb' to quote the apt British expression). I read books by and about younger people (as well as by and about older people). I go to AA (great way to be around young people!).

Old 08-26-2019, 09:07 PM
ERH

1,210 posts, read 1,678,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
OOH OOOH--this is right up my alley!!

I love going to small venue indy rock concerts. One of the things I'm really missing here in FL are "my" groups (Love love LOVE Frank Turner & the Sleeping Souls!) Back in CT concert going was a real thing with me. Yep, I'm up there next to the stage--and I can say that, yes, I've been in a mosh pit! I had a younger co-worker that would go with me either to Boston or Providence for these shows, but then she got pregnant so her focus is elsewhere these days. I started to drag my daughter--and even HER friend--to concerts--it's a done deal when I pay for their tickets and do the driving. Kid #1 and I even traveled to Buffalo to go to the very first Kerfuffle in 2014 https://www.setlist.fm/festivals/ker...-6bd69a5a.html

The dark side to this is the rampant ageism at these concerts--exclusively by young women. My feeling is: "Chickie I paid for my ticket so I have just as much right to be here as you. Oooh, and just wait--fast forward 20-30 years--karma can be such a b*tch...."

On a recent road trip my Kid #1 caught me up on her faves (Billie Eilish among them) and the one that was the most fun and got multiple plays was Ludo's Love Me Dead!

Kid#2 was down for a visit last week and introduced me to Brit Electro Pop duo 0171 and controversial Canadian rapper Tom MacDonald.

Contrary to popular opinion, there's a lot of new, interesting and really GOOD music out there. Checking this stuff out is my fountain of youth!

My husband refuses to do anything fun, so my first concert since I was younger was a field trip to The NorVa to see a rock band I love. I brought my then-16yo along to be my beard that time. Since then, the younger son has picked up the mantle. He's an aspiring EDM music producer, so we've had some real good times exploring that genre together (excited for ZEDD coming up in October!!). We're always in the pit!! I'm going to be the old hag in the pit with her walker one day.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:02 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,696,320 times
I love listening to EDM, especially just before I go to sleep and just get transported back to an era of when I was young and would go out dancing. Not so much a sad nostalgic thing, rather just the joy of having those experiences and still loving new music. Go to concerts regularly, mostly alternative and jam bands: Phish, St. Vincent and the Grateful Dead as well as the some of the classic old rockers.

Also I must drive YouTube’s algorithm insane by the wildly divergent videos that I watch and follow.

I walk (which really just “isn’t done” by most young people) and faster than just about anybody over the age of 18, unless you live in Manhattan.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:06 AM

14,598 posts, read 8,054,457 times
I love pizza night with pj's and a scary movie with the shorties down the street. They bring their pillows and blankets and after the movie we play games sometimes until 2am. It's pretty amazing when teenagers want to spend time with you like that.

Does roller skating and ice skating count? Aww we just lost our 92 year old. He said he's not skating anymore. I don't now why, he's better than I am
I still love a good game of hide and seek by candle light.

Doing sparklers with the shorties on the 4th of July.

Color Easter eggs with our friends little girl and our neighbors little one. I love my adventure walks with the 7 year old. We talk about everything.

It's easy enough to sit back and reflect on life when you get older, but I actually want to keep living it for as long as possible.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:14 AM

228 posts, read 89,631 times
Earlier this month, wife and I got on a plane and flew to Portland to see Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson.

Great show.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:33 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,649,777 times
I have the same long blond hair since teen-years. I dress the same. Including skimpy-ish bathing suits.

Go barefoot all the time. Lay out by the pool getting sun.

Don't take any meds.

Sleep late every day.

Drink too much. Eat all the same foods.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:26 PM

2,616 posts, read 687,849 times
Electric Daisy Carnival.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:30 PM

4,268 posts, read 1,207,658 times
I've played guitar since I was ten. I played in various rock bands starting in 1975. The first band was called "Cold Gin" Stolen from a Kiss song. I got a "real" job 1980 and worked for 31 years before retiring. Even while working I played in clubs Jamming with other musicians. I bought an 8 track recorder and started recording music.
When I retired in 2011, I built a music studio out of a garage. I started a band call "Back Fire". The other guitar player ran a private fire fighting company, and we thought Back Fire was a cool name. We played taverns and open air concerts for a few years until out drummer died of Pancreatic cancer.
I still play almost everyday, and I love playing rock in the vein of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. I don't know if that qualifies as young person stuff, but at 66, I can rock with the best of them.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:13 PM

9,205 posts, read 7,955,506 times
I get it on, as best I can, with a much younger girlfriend. I tell her that her main job is keeping me young.....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or