U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 09:20 PM

4,793 posts, read 3,329,078 times

Advertisements

I have heard it said that things went down hill with the war in Vietnam.
So many changes during that time.

Women's rights (a very good thing) got into full gear. Some women burned their bras. Free sex. Woodstock.

Things before this time were pretty mild. Or we just didn't talk about it so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 09:33 PM

13,906 posts, read 6,646,116 times
I grew up around this time or graduated around this time from HS. I don’t remember it’s that idealistic. I remember waiting in line for gas I went to work, but we spent the rest of the time with our kids. They didn’t get to watch more than 30 minutes of TV per day. I never left my front door unlocked, except when my husband forgot about it once.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:34 PM

5,218 posts, read 8,761,653 times
Smile Family is very important to me

Sure, I'm looking back.

When I saw this guy's comment (and it was a man), over 250 people responded in the affirmative agreeing with him and sharing their thoughts.

My own parents had everyone gravitate over to them. All the celebrations either took place at their home or wherever they chose.

I don't have grandchildren yet but want that in my own family or at least to pass on traditions which I think are being tossed away. I want our home to be that safe place.

I know we can't go back and there are things that were wrong back then. I have 2 sisters who were SAHM moms and have today very active social lives and are very intertwined with their children and their children.

I know one thing. The news went off at midnight and you had at least 6 hours from it. Today, it's 24/7 and it's making so many depressed because that what sells. We have a news station here in Miami that was one of the frontrunners of that type of news.

What can I do as a little person to make this world better? Kinder? Should I organize a block party? Most of the neighbors know each other but we haven't had one since 2016.

It just seems people seemed to be kinder and gentler back then.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:48 PM

13,906 posts, read 6,646,116 times
I don’t think so. We had Ted Bundy and Richard Ramirez, please good what he did, it was horrible. I was frightened when I was working second shift. I have not been frightened since.

Old Yesterday, 04:10 AM

12,996 posts, read 14,274,601 times
What happened? The same ol' same ol': Nothing is permanent, and eventually everything changes. In this case the person quoted in the OP is unhappy with the present and wishes for and prefers the society of a past period. They don't like the changes. They would like the impossible, to stop change.

I was born in the Thirties and grew up in a small, prosperous, beautiful small town in the Forties and Fifties. If you think the Seventies were the Golden Age...you're at least two decades off the mark IMO.

There was a recent thread here discussing whether we engaged in nostalgia, and this is in the same ballpark but with a deeply regretful bent from square one. I love the memory of my hometown and the time of my childhood and adolescence there. But that place has changed a great deal, it no longer exists and not all the money in the world could revive it as it used to be.

There are many things from past eras that I prefer to situations, customs, etc of the present day. A major personal one certainly would be my health and appearance in my early forties. But in the here and now I am an old man in chronic ill-health rolling toward eighty-two. I could regret and want my forties till my tired butt falls off from the effort, and all that would do is stir up regret and depression on a daily basis and add more weight to my present physical limitations. It would be like complaining that I can't swim and then hanging a large rock around my neck to emphasize the fact. Why connive at making present limitations even worse than they are?

That I must now lock the door of my home (and the rest of it) is like the negative changes in my personal life writ large. The handsome, hunky guy of my forties is a hobbling, twisted cripple who has to lock all his doors when he leaves his home today. But what should he do? Bemoan the fact that he may fall and break his neck on the stairs to the street while someone is four floors up looting his apartment? Better to lock the doors, watch the stairs and shuffle to the corner for that great coffee they make.

Everything ages, changes and turns into an unrecognizable something else. In the span of our human lives this process seems pretty rapid, compared to how it happens to Grand Canyon for example. Some of it seems quite wonderful compared to the past, many aspects suck in comparison to the past...in my own individual life, and as in my view of how society and history have transformed during my life.

But despite what is probably a negative/unsentimental view of both on my part, I am alive today with a small personal menu of satisfying things, and a much larger nasty list of Forget It, Dude items. This is the stuff of my life, and where it is lived - now and in this place in this day.

The time-wasting whys are self-inflicted sadism, and get in the way of engaging who and what are out there now as best you can.

Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM

6,449 posts, read 4,858,023 times
Another thread about the good old days! Really, why?

First the good old days were not that good. Crime and longevity were worse. Not counting the 50,000 killed in Vietnam or the tens and tens of thousands of draftees spending time fighting a guerilla war. The standard of living was worse. The culture of the country was much, much worse with rampant Archie Bunkerism. Minorities had a rough time especially in the South. Married women could not even sign up for a checking account.

Then around 1957 we learned our German scientists were not as good as the German scientists in Russia and we learned our educational system did not work. Have we forgotten Opec and the gas lines? Mortgage rates over 10%? High rates of inflation? American built cars that were absolute junk?

Maybe if you lived in rural small town America you could leave your house or car unlocked. When I was a kid we locked up everything. I grew up in the Maryland suburbs of DC. It was a nice neighborhood but we did not have A/C in the house or the cars. I still remember all those 90 degree days with 90 percent humidity. Nasty.

Anyway those of us in retirement should be looking forward, not backward. It is not healthy to be stuck in the past retelling old stories that were never true to begin with.

Old Yesterday, 05:02 AM

129 posts, read 49,678 times
I have to agree with jrkliny. While it's nice to reminisce about the past and enjoy some fond memories, people, life and the world changes. All eras and timeframes had their share of problems. Sometimes when we look back at what we thought we problems, we realize perhaps we were all nave and there was much ado about nothing, but there were always some REAL issues taking place. I was in HS in the 70's - and remember how popular "Happy Days" was - the name alone tells you that the 50's were viewed to be Happy Days in comparison to the 70's - so fond memories of the past is nothing new.

I do agree that the world has changed - and feel that technology is largely responsible. Air conditioning means people no longer hang outside on the porch, chatting with friends and neighbors. TV's means we're inside watching them - and these things all started decades ago. People now connect differently via the internet and cell phones. All these things have made our lives both better and worse. There's a saying that you can't move forward if you're looking behind you at the past. We tend to romanticize the past, especially when the present seems lesser - and you only make yourself want something you can't get back. We have to make the most of what we have, while we have it because nothing stays the same forever - and deal with others in the way we wish everyone would.

Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM

1,998 posts, read 1,401,365 times
Not much has changed during my lifetime, it’s now more publicized and instantly available nationwide. Parents knew what neighbor to trust and whom to keep children away from. Not many young girls that did not encounter some pervert during their young life's, but it was not talked about.

The shooting is not by mentally ill people, they are by your brothers and uncles. They are the result of a frightening American society afraid of the bogeyman, not realizing we are the bogeyman. We arm our self because everyone else is armed. I don’t fear the burglar, I fear the law-abiding citizen who is itching to be a hero.

Thank you, NRA for making this such a wonderful and safe place to live.

Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM

1,497 posts, read 723,935 times
Plain and simple..... the internet happened.

Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM

192 posts, read 26,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I want to go back to a time when this song was on the radio every day. I want to be able to leave the back door and the car unlocked. I want kids riding their bike in the street. I want neighbours who know each other and say good morning. I want to be able to walk home alone at night without fear of being raped or robbed. I want Sunday lunch with friends. I want to have a cigarette at the bar without the "looks". I want to be able to speak without fear of someone listening until they can find something to be offended by. If anyone knows of a place like that which still exists....please, let me know.

The time described was for me the 1960s and into the 70s. I was in high school during the 70s. I would go back in a heartbeat if I could. I know a lot of it depends where you were during this time. I've talked with people who don't have such warm memories of that time. They saw a lot more conflict and discrimination and it was very turbulent for them. For them today is better.

Back then families could buy a home on one salary and it didn't take a fancy job to do it. Today even with two people working it can be rough. Of course back then we didn't have all the tech we have today either. I think the highest tech items we had at the time was a color TV and the Hi-Fi. All this tech we've got now is wonderful but its also a drain on the money that didn't exist back on then.

But what I treasure is that even as a child (in the 60s) I could go anywhere my bike could take me. There were no limits to how far I could go as long as I was willing to pedal. Parents didn't worry. It was safe. Today they can't let kids out of their sight. Kids rarely play outside anymore and we live in a good area. Back then neighbors looked out for each other. There were all kinds of block parties and dinners with neighbors. They would pop in for a hello or to have coffee with my Mom. My Dad might be working on the house and the other men come over and help and he did for them as well. People cared about each other. A Mom knew there were eyes all over her neighborhood looking out for her child.

The 70s had a live and let live vibe that I haven't seen since that time. Once we got into the 80s I remember thinking so many times, what the ???? There is a word I use to describe the 80s that I can't repeat here. The 80s were a real turning point towards criticizing each other, finding fault everywhere. And it became all about me, me, me. With each passing decade its only gotten worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or