Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 08:50 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times

Advertisements

Nope, everything is spread out far here and there's no public transportation. Must drive go fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 09:03 AM

3,144 posts, read 1,601,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I didn't want to hijack the other thread here about driving, but am wondering if anyone has given up owning a car after retiring.
I'm having mixed feelings about doing this. I'm moving to a small town after retiring and purposely planning to buy a home within easy walking distance to most things I need in the downtown area. There is also public transportation available which is no out of pocket cost for seniors. I just need to get a bus pass and can ride the bus as often as I want. The town is small enough where every corner along the bus route is a potential stop, you just have to wave the bus driver to stop and pick you up. The route would take me to the big box stores, hospital and medical area as well. There is also a taxi service available.
I'm not big on driving around and really don't enjoy it but maybe that's because I live in So Cal currently where I feel like driving is a big hassle, dangerous and just not enjoyable 90 percent of the time.
I have a 2011 kia with only 55,000 miles on it. That should tell you how little I drive now. Do I spend the money transporting my car across the country or sell it, rent a car for a couple of weeks when I first move there to get major shopping done and get situated?
I feel like if I transport my car over there, after a couple of weeks, the car will just sit there with very little use. If I don't transport my car, I can rent a car every once in a while to take road trips when I feel like it, and I won't have the hassle of car maintenance and registration.
Money really isn't the big issue here. I can buy another car if I decide I really don't like the bus system and miss driving. I'm traveling there again in a couple of weeks, will get a bus pass and check it out.
Any thoughts? Has anyone gone without a car after retiring?
Since you have the shipping cost in addition to the cost of maintaining the car, I would try to estimate the costs savings vs. car rental for occasional trips outside the immediate area.

The only other consideration is having the car readily available to any last minute need or extemporaneous need -- getting to the doctor on a moment's notice vs. consulting public transportation schedules, contacting car rental companies. (I don't know if UBER is available in your area.)

To me, its not about miles driven, it's about psychology of freedom -- jumping into the car at a moment's notice when I want to do something. It may be considered extravagant as a retiree who doesn't need the car for commuting but worth it to me.

If I were in your situation I think I would have the car shipped and then see how things go without using it. I would rather have a well-maintained, reliable car at my disposal and then sell it if I don't need it.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:50 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
How many bags of groceries would a single person have to schlepp?

And for non perishable items - just have them delivered via Amazon or some other online retailer.

They said they would rent a car if needed.
Older people can’t always walk far, or lift things. If I had to carry 2 totes a couple of blocks, it would be a hardship for me.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:59 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Older people can’t always walk far, or lift things. If I had to carry 2 totes a couple of blocks, it would be a hardship for me.

Same here. I only shop once a month so it's a 'full load' and I would be totally lost without my car. I live one to two miles from any major shopping and it's just way too hot to even think about walking to any of it. We do have a bus line, with a stop just across the street, but I've never had to use it. I was thrilled when Walmart started their order groceries online and pickup at the store. I understand they are going to start home delivery soon. As many senior citizens this town has I'm sure there'll be a lot of them taking advantage of that.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:12 AM

7,111 posts, read 4,536,107 times
My car only costs 95/month between registration, gas and insurance. I would not give it up.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:14 AM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Very hard choice. I like having a car so I can go when I want too. I have no problem driving. In the future I hope self drive cars will be an option or you can call a self drive car on the phone and it shows up at your house. Until then I will keep my car.
If money was a problem I would tend to say sell the car and try the bus.
Since you said money is not a problem then you might think of selling the car, try public transportation and renting a car but at some point probably buy a small electric car (I am assuming local driving).
You did not mention the availability of having local merchandise deliver to your home. At some point this might be a possibility and also help.
I can see an up side and a down side to the bus. The problem is how much can you carry. You can get a cart to pull so that could help. If carrying is a problem then that might force you to get out more offen. The good side. The down side is if you health was such that taking the bus became a problem.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:14 AM

1,016 posts, read 307,325 times
Your older car with low miles is a jewel - hold onto it. The cost of keeping it diminishes with time. I have an older car with low miles as well and plan on keeping it it until one of us goes ... I like driving less and less, especially longer distances, since retiring a couple of years ago. We're 10 minutes from everything, though, so I don't mind driving locally. You're lucky to have the option of walking or taking public transportation; but it adds freedom, independence and convenience if you have a car as well.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:21 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
I've been in Leipzig, Germany since May without a car, and it's no problem. Streetcars run every 5 minutes into downtown, and the main train station has trains going in all directions on the map at regular intervals. I can walk to the grocery store in 5 minutes, and I ride my bike everywhere in the area. It is not very hilly here, and bike transportation is a common way to get around.

When I go back to the US, I'll buy a car again. A car is needed most places if you want to get out of the city. In Tucson I can live "car light", meaning bike to lots of things during the week, but use the car for excursions to more distant places.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:26 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I didn't want to hijack the other thread here about driving, but am wondering if anyone has given up owning a car after retiring.
I'm having mixed feelings about doing this. I'm moving to a small town after retiring and purposely planning to buy a home within easy walking distance to most things I need in the downtown area. There is also public transportation available which is no out of pocket cost for seniors. I just need to get a bus pass and can ride the bus as often as I want. The town is small enough where every corner along the bus route is a potential stop, you just have to wave the bus driver to stop and pick you up. The route would take me to the big box stores, hospital and medical area as well. There is also a taxi service available.
I'm not big on driving around and really don't enjoy it but maybe that's because I live in So Cal currently where I feel like driving is a big hassle, dangerous and just not enjoyable 90 percent of the time.
?
This is the problem

Driving in a small town is stress free, unlike in SoCal. Those taxis and buses won't take you out of town when you feel like going for a hike or going fishing or visiting a neighboring town. Ever made a grocery trip and hauled your load on a bus? Taxis aren't cheap

Old 08-26-2019, 12:58 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
I have no car.

Grocery delivery services are extensive - Instacart.com, Shipt.com, https://grocery.walmart.com, Prime delivery, and another three additional local grocery delivery services here from large local stores.

I have 8 or 9 good options and I've had groceries delivered all the time for 14 years in two cities.

Here Instacart.com covers Cubs Foods, Target, Costco, Aldi, and a couple more really nice large grocery stores delivering fresh groceries. All of the above deliver fresh groceries by truck including https://grocery.walmart.com. Instacart.com covers different stores in each city (and area) of the U.S.

(there is also Kroger.com, Safeway.com, and Peapod.com in some areas for grocery delivery)

I realize a good number of areas may not have grocery delivery. But https://www.walmart.com (which is different from https://grocery.walmart.com) and Target.com deliver groceries by FedEx and UPS. (delivery is free with $35 and $25 purchase and over)

I've lived in 8 different states in my life and always took buses. My current city has transit for seniors and disabled. (plus a great regular bus system and some light rail - but I use senior transit)

I think you're on a good potential track in your thinking Marino760, and you can feel confident in what you choose to do. (the decision is not irreversible) And that you're moving to a place where walking will be emphasized and convenient for you is great. The bus system you describe in your new town sounds great and well-done.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-26-2019 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement