U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 05:40 AM

17,652 posts, read 21,532,897 times

Advertisements

If you're going to go car-less, first thing to buy is a big stand-up freezer, in addition to the freezer that comes with the refrigerator. And with this, you're going to stock up, with a rental car once a month, that should be enough. And the day you get the rental car, you're going to have accumulated a long list of things to buy, some heavier items like a new mircrowave. You maximize the usage of that rental car once a month.

Produce, milk isn't going to last a month (unless you buy dry milk) so you'll have that to contend with, perhaps, those trips by Uber or taxi or bicycle.

And if you get the itch to get behind the wheel for any length of time, then rent a car for a long weekend to get out of town.

Going car-less shouldn't be painful.

Many who haven't ever taken public transit, like a bus, overlook the potential joy/surprises that can come with it. Opportunities to meet/talk to people, and if you're a reader, just kick back, like I do, open up a magazine or book, which you can't do driving a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 06:09 AM

20,098 posts, read 20,211,915 times
I drive so little that I've thought about it but here in SWF it rains almost every day for months. I'm not where it's walkable anyway but could do it with careful planning, I suppose, but am not even seriously considering it unless I have to.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:10 AM

12,259 posts, read 5,362,323 times
That's what I was thinking as well. Make a list of things I need for the house, mostly larger things and set up a delivery with the local Lowes. There is a delivery fee but no limit to what you can put on one delivery like appliances, things for the yard and so forth. The same with buying furniture. Other things can go through Amazon and other shopping sites.
When I move, I'm not planning to make a big production out of it. I'm getting rid of everything except some personal items and having those sent USPS. Everything else can be bought when I'm ready to buy them. I want to start fresh when that happens.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:53 AM

640 posts, read 272,926 times
It can be done. I went for two years without a car and that was with a teenager in the house! Weekdays, I was gone all day at work anyway and took public transportation to and from work. I rented a car from Enterprise on the weekends...they had a really inexpensive deal at that time. We did all the grocery shopping/errands/entertainment from Friday night to Monday morning...I picked up the car Friday after work (was only a couple of blocks from the train station) and dropped it off Monday morning....of course, you will be retired, so that's a little different! But if you have access to grocery and other delivery services and the option to use public transportation and a rental car on occasion, you can do this.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:17 AM

9,740 posts, read 5,465,311 times
Yes, I stopped driving, voluntarily, a few years ago, sold my car and almost instantly saved lots of money wrt gas, garage parking, insurance and maintenance.

I live in a very urban area with great public transit which is free for seniors. I walk a lot more which has been great for my health and well being.

I can use Uber or Lyft if I need to.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:52 PM

14,466 posts, read 45,392,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I am wondering where the parts to repair a 21 year old vehicle will come from.
I am 86,my 99 Tacoma went on the market in October '98.It is basicly showroom and I expect to live maybe another 4 years???It still has rear brake shoes after 209,000 miles,the only part replaced was catalytic converter.
My driving days are over,have driven a little over 3,000 miles locally in past 4 years.
I hate the thought of another vehicle.

Depends on what the vehicle is. I have a 1975 F-350, most normal wear parts - brake pads, shoes, spark plugs, ignition modules, oil, air, gas filters - are available at my local small-town NAPA. No problemo. Occasionally they need to order something in, day or two wait at worst.

Body and trim parts, yeah, you will have to go to a yard.

If your car has a "following", there will be parts vendors in Hemmings Motor News. For MG cars, we have Moss Motors and Victoria, for example.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:54 PM

14,466 posts, read 45,392,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's what I was thinking as well. Make a list of things I need for the house, mostly larger things and set up a delivery with the local Lowes. There is a delivery fee but no limit to what you can put on one delivery like appliances, things for the yard and so forth. The same with buying furniture. Other things can go through Amazon and other shopping sites.
When I move, I'm not planning to make a big production out of it. I'm getting rid of everything except some personal items and having those sent USPS. Everything else can be bought when I'm ready to buy them. I want to start fresh when that happens.

So are you going to go by air, yourself? Or AMTRAK, or even bus?

Old 08-28-2019, 01:02 PM

6,887 posts, read 8,231,966 times
I hate to think about not driving. I sure would miss my almost daily trip to Lowe's or Ace.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
So are you going to go by air, yourself? Or AMTRAK, or even bus?
I'm going by air. No way I will drive the car there. If I take it along, it will be shipped. I do a 2 hour drive once a month or so to visit relatives. I hate the drive and get uncomfortable after about an hour

Old 08-28-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I hate to think about not driving. I sure would miss my almost daily trip to Lowe's or Ace.
I'm just the opposite. I avoid those little driving trips for one or two things whenever I can including to the grocery store. I won't miss that at all since I already dislike it. I'm not a big shopper. I don't go to a store to just look around or get out of the house. I need to really need something and then I'm in and our as fast as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement