U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 01:30 PM

6,886 posts, read 8,231,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm just the opposite. I avoid those little driving trips for one or two things whenever I can including to the grocery store. I won't miss that at all since I already dislike it. I'm not a big shopper. I don't go to a store to just look around or get out of the house. I need to really need something and then I'm in and our as fast as possible.
Nothing wrong with that. I used to rack up a lot of miles each year driving back and forth weekly to the beach. Since moving to the coast two years ago I stay off the interstates for the most part, and that's a good thing. It's just something about taking short local trips with all the windows down. My dog sure enjoys them too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 02:58 PM

2,226 posts, read 948,108 times
No one can answer this question for you. My father in law stopped driving and we wound up doing his grocery shopping for him. My Mom gave up driving and took public transportation to the doctor and the senior citizen jitney for grocery shopping. My cousin lives in Portland and uses public transportation, busses and streetcars and shops with a shopping cart.
I'm 72 and my wife is 70 and wouldn't give up driving although we probably only put about 1,500 miles a year on our leased Toyota Camry. Where we live there is no public transportation and no sidewalks to walk the main roads. We park in our driveway and can go to doctors, restaurants, friends, shopping, the DMV, etc., door to door in air conditioned comfort in the summer and heat in the winter. Crossing the main 6 lane road near us on foot is difficult, even with the crosswalk. There's barely enough time to get to the other side while cars making turns onto and off the road create a scary obstacle course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I didn't want to hijack the other thread here about driving, but am wondering if anyone has given up owning a car after retiring.
I'm having mixed feelings about doing this. I'm moving to a small town after retiring and purposely planning to buy a home within easy walking distance to most things I need in the downtown area. There is also public transportation available which is no out of pocket cost for seniors. I just need to get a bus pass and can ride the bus as often as I want. The town is small enough where every corner along the bus route is a potential stop, you just have to wave the bus driver to stop and pick you up. The route would take me to the big box stores, hospital and medical area as well. There is also a taxi service available.
I'm not big on driving around and really don't enjoy it but maybe that's because I live in So Cal currently where I feel like driving is a big hassle, dangerous and just not enjoyable 90 percent of the time.
I have a 2011 kia with only 55,000 miles on it. That should tell you how little I drive now. Do I spend the money transporting my car across the country or sell it, rent a car for a couple of weeks when I first move there to get major shopping done and get situated?
I feel like if I transport my car over there, after a couple of weeks, the car will just sit there with very little use. If I don't transport my car, I can rent a car every once in a while to take road trips when I feel like it, and I won't have the hassle of car maintenance and registration.
Money really isn't the big issue here. I can buy another car if I decide I really don't like the bus system and miss driving. I'm traveling there again in a couple of weeks, will get a bus pass and check it out.
Any thoughts? Has anyone gone without a car after retiring?

Old Today, 06:16 AM

12,259 posts, read 5,362,323 times
Here's an update:
I recently returned from another trip to my retirement destination. I parked the car at the hotel I stayed at and didn't use it at all until I left for the airport.
I easily walked throughout downtown. Had my meals at local restaurants and coffee shops, even walked to Dominoes Pizza and picked up a large pepperoni and cheese. I bought some food and drinks from the local little grocery store downtown and had a great deli sandwich.
Taking the bus to the other part of town was very interesting and I enjoyed it. The bus is more like a large van and seats 12 people. The few other people riding were friendly and courteous as well the bus driver. When I told the driver I was from out of town and planning to move there, he became my personal tour guide telling me what different places were along the way.
The bus did indeed stop everywhere I expected it to including the hospital, Walmart, Kroger, and other larger shopping facilities. It even makes a stop at the senior center. The entire route took a little over an hour.
I don't know when or if I will give up the car, but it's good to know I will be able to get around just fine without it.

On a side note, I put an offer in on a house. It's a small Victorian located along the bus route in downtown. The house is not fancy or large but very affordable and very well maintained and will suite my needs fine. The next step is to see how the home inspection comes out and go from there.

Old Today, 06:51 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,280,494 times
One problem with selling and renting a car is the auto insurance. It is difficult to find an insurance company that will sell you auto insurance if you don't own a car and drive regularly. Rental companies will not rent you a car without insurance. Insurance through your credit card usually only covers collision and therefore, does not meet any State requirements.

Also, if you have a lapse in auto insurance coverage, to renew coverage becomes very expensive.

Old Today, 07:02 AM

12,259 posts, read 5,362,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
One problem with selling and renting a car is the auto insurance. It is difficult to find an insurance company that will sell you auto insurance if you don't own a car and drive regularly. Rental companies will not rent you a car without insurance. Insurance through your credit card usually only covers collision and therefore, does not meet any State requirements.

Also, if you have a lapse in auto insurance coverage, to renew coverage becomes very expensive.
This isn't true. You don't need your own insurance to rent a car. The rental companies offer insurance for an extra fee when renting. That's what I just did. I told them I wanted to buy the insurance coverage and they never asked me for proof of any insurance I currently have. You do need to maintain your drivers license of course.

Old Today, 07:09 AM

20,098 posts, read 20,211,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post

Although not the cheapest solution, most, if not all, rental companies provide the option of purchasing insurance at the counter.

Old Today, 11:41 AM

4,426 posts, read 2,043,301 times
We have a metered auto insurance, Eastside of Seattle area. We pay $51 monthly base rate plus 7/no (new rates beginning 10/16/2019, our first 6 month renewal). Our current driving is about 160mi/mn. This is approx 66% of the previous unlimited insurance, ~$400/yr savings with approx same ins coverage. If adding our bus fares (senior, $1 within 2.5hrs, 30 rides/mn x2) the fixed cost of minimal personal car driving would be slightly more expensive to 1000 mi/mn with our old ins co who we were with ~25 yrs.
69/72yrs old. We drive only to major grocery shopping and to major health facility which are within 3 miles of each other. We will drive to Costco, FredMeyer (one stop shopping for normal shopping). Prius, 11 yo, bought new and no issues.

Old Today, 12:26 PM

14,461 posts, read 45,392,118 times
Clearly, some of us, including me, are car/bike/whatever enthusiasts, and actually enjoy driving. Not a coincidence, I think, that most all of us are rural dwellers - both to have a place to actually drive rather than just sit in traffic, and we prize freedom of action - what John Boyd called "survival on our own terms". Many of us can do the majority of our own maintenance and repairs. We will drive more, not less, when we retire, although the drives will be, hopefully, more scenic and entertaining than the commute to work was.

The rest, mostly urban, regard a car as a money pit, simply an appliance to get from A to B. To me, this is a sad way to regard cars, just as people who simply wolf down a burger from a bag to kill hunger pangs, or winos who drink cheap wine direct from the bottle - all of these are simply satisfying a need, with no panache about it. They just want to "scratch the itch" as cheaply and quickly as possible, and would just as soon do without a car and depend on urban density to provide alternatives.

But either approach can be valid for a person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement