U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 10:55 PM

6,091 posts, read 9,622,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
. . .
He'd been to his GP just a few weeks before and ekg was a-ok. We never thought this was lurking. He'd been ignoring the bad cholesterol test. Few years prior, that test was bad. We never got a paper copy of the labs. I kept telling him he better watch his diet. No, he said I was wrong. Over and over. Yep, now he believes me. And takes his medicines. I never leave a Drs. office without getting a paper copy of the labs. In black and white, there it is.
Here's a thing. DH is a chemist by education, who has worked for drug companies. This is his wisdom: What you eat may have some minor affect on your cholesterol levels. The by-far greatest influence is genetic/lifestyle. If you have cholesterol level issues, listen to your health care providers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 12:29 AM

1,072 posts, read 984,379 times
SCAD survivor here...two years ago. I had absolutely zero chest pain before, during , or after the event. I was making coffee at 0800 waiting for the toddler I watched to arrive. I just got this sudden impending doom feeling; really bad for no reason. It was so intense I opened my kitchen cabinet and took out 4 baby aspirin and crushed them between 2 spoons and downed the (I was an ER RN x 40 yrs and we all keep baby aspirin at home). I asked my son to take me to the ER; that I felt something bad was gonna happen. HE freaked out, so I got my phone and called 911 myself and sat on the sofa to await them. Their station is only 3 miles away and I could hear them coming. I still had NO SYMPTOMS but the feeling something really bad was coming. When EMS got there they did not see me gasping, clutching my chest, sweating, or any of the 'classic' symptoms and told me to walk to their truck with them. Once I got in there I asked one to hook me up to the EKG monitor, just because I was going to get charged for it. He looked like I'd asked him to light me on fire, but did put me on the monitor. HUGE ST-segment elevation (classic heart attack sign) and suddenly I was getting an IV and vital signs taken. We bypassed the ER and went straight into the Cath Lab. First thing the Cardiologist asked me was, "Are you under a lot of stress?" I replied, "Why yes." I ended up with a 3 stent 'train' in my right coronary artery, as when your artery is dissecting it is fragile and putting in the first stent tore the artery further. Total time from home to PCCU room was 2 hours and 10 minutes. When they went into my heart from my wrist, I had ZERO plaque in any artery. I signed out to go home then next morning, against medical advice but nothing was being done IN hospital that I could not do at home and the anxiety of how much the bill would be in spite of having healthcare insurance was making me anxious. The bill ended up $168K for 3 stents, using the Cath Lab and overnight in the Cardiac step-down unit. Women are having these SCAD (sudden coronary artery dissection) heart attacks and their having them at younger ages and many are having them post partum.
I got to be part of the SCAD study with the Mayo Clinic. I never did have any chest pain or shortness of breath and I was walking 10,000 steps a day for 10 yrs prior to having the SCAD. I'm fine now, but until I hit the 5 yr mark post SCAD there is a possibility of having another. Only thing I would say about it all is KEEP BABY ASPIRIN IN A CABINET AT HOME AND IN YOUR CAR. I do think taking those 4 baby aspirin first thing was beneficial in making my blood slippery and saved me some heart damage. It never hurts to take 4 baby aspirin and if you are having a stroke it also works or that too.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:38 AM

15,866 posts, read 27,014,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
SCAD survivor here...two years ago. I had absolutely zero chest pain before, during , or after the event. I was making coffee at 0800 waiting for the toddler I watched to arrive. I just got this sudden impending doom feeling; really bad for no reason. It was so intense I opened my kitchen cabinet and took out 4 baby aspirin and crushed them between 2 spoons and downed the (I was an ER RN x 40 yrs and we all keep baby aspirin at home). I asked my son to take me to the ER; that I felt something bad was gonna happen. HE freaked out, so I got my phone and called 911 myself and sat on the sofa to await them. Their station is only 3 miles away and I could hear them coming. I still had NO SYMPTOMS but the feeling something really bad was coming. When EMS got there they did not see me gasping, clutching my chest, sweating, or any of the 'classic' symptoms and told me to walk to their truck with them. Once I got in there I asked one to hook me up to the EKG monitor, just because I was going to get charged for it. He looked like I'd asked him to light me on fire, but did put me on the monitor. HUGE ST-segment elevation (classic heart attack sign) and suddenly I was getting an IV and vital signs taken. We bypassed the ER and went straight into the Cath Lab. First thing the Cardiologist asked me was, "Are you under a lot of stress?" I replied, "Why yes." I ended up with a 3 stent 'train' in my right coronary artery, as when your artery is dissecting it is fragile and putting in the first stent tore the artery further. Total time from home to PCCU room was 2 hours and 10 minutes. When they went into my heart from my wrist, I had ZERO plaque in any artery. I signed out to go home then next morning, against medical advice but nothing was being done IN hospital that I could not do at home and the anxiety of how much the bill would be in spite of having healthcare insurance was making me anxious. The bill ended up $168K for 3 stents, using the Cath Lab and overnight in the Cardiac step-down unit. Women are having these SCAD (sudden coronary artery dissection) heart attacks and their having them at younger ages and many are having them post partum.
I got to be part of the SCAD study with the Mayo Clinic. I never did have any chest pain or shortness of breath and I was walking 10,000 steps a day for 10 yrs prior to having the SCAD. I'm fine now, but until I hit the 5 yr mark post SCAD there is a possibility of having another. Only thing I would say about it all is KEEP BABY ASPIRIN IN A CABINET AT HOME AND IN YOUR CAR. I do think taking those 4 baby aspirin first thing was beneficial in making my blood slippery and saved me some heart damage. It never hurts to take 4 baby aspirin and if you are having a stroke it also works or that too.
Thank you for your words. Wondering though, would the amount of aspirin taken depend on the weight of the patient?

Old 08-29-2019, 05:40 PM

1,072 posts, read 984,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Thank you for your words. Wondering though, would the amount of aspirin taken depend on the weight of the patient?
Not at all. EMS gives the same 4 baby aspirin when they get to the home, office, etc when someone has "typical" signs of stroke or heart attack. Four baby aspirin for any adult will do no harm. They are normally CHEWED but I crush them, same difference and they are not stuck in my teeth. IF I had not take these on my own, EMS would have missed them because women have totally different heart attack symptoms and SCAD events are even more atypical. IF I had not insisted on them putting me on a cardiac monitor in the truck, I might have had a totally different outcome OR more damage to my heart.

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

3,214 posts, read 7,012,607 times
There is an obesity epidemic in America, among many other advanced nations. Being overweight alone elevates your heart attack risk, yet 100 million Americans ignore that warning and remain above their ideal weight. I've known countless people in my life who have physicals and their doctor says, "you can cut your heart attack and diabetes risk in half is you just take off 25 pounds." Few ever heeded the advice.

Old Today, 12:28 AM

814 posts, read 813,609 times
My mother took aspirin when getting a sudden, sever headache. Fearing a stroke, she took them until I could get her to the ER. Turned out she had a brain bleed (aneurysm). Went into a coma and never woke up.

Neurologist said taking the aspirin was the worse thing she could have done.

Old Today, 07:13 AM

1,992 posts, read 1,189,495 times
"Ignoring" could also be seen as confusion. Or fear. Apprehension. I think most people kind of realize it "might" be symptoms of a heart attack, but if they don't really have anything to base that on....they will tend to brush it off. Maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or