Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 11:55 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times

Advertisements

Yes people ignore the symptoms. I did. Cardiac arrest and now 3 stents. I was very lucky, the cardiac arrest occurred in the er. My wife made me go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 01:10 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Yes people ignore the symptoms. I did. Cardiac arrest and now 3 stents. I was very lucky, the cardiac arrest occurred in the er. My wife made me go.

Haha, those darned wives. It is like they want to keep us alive, or something ! As I mentioned in my earlier post, I would probably be dead today if my ex hadn't made me get in the car and go to the ER.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:32 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
I am 55 and had an incident last November. I did not have a heart attack but I had severe chest pains and difficulty breathing, especially lying down. Then my temperature spiked over 103 so hubby took me to the ER and I could barely walk in and sign papers to be seen. They gave me morphine and ran tests to discover that my heart was only functioning at 20% due to fluid built up around the heart. Kept me in the ICU for 2 days even after I wanted to go home that first night because I felt so much better on the morphine, haha. Thankfully, they didn't let me go, though. I have always been active and worked out in a gym. They put me on meds for 4.5 months to keep the fluid off. If I skipped the meds for a day, I immediately had symptoms again the next day. Pretty scary! No heart problems were detectable and I've not had any issues since.
Based on your description of a fever and fluid buildup around your heart I assume your were diagnosed with pericarditis.
Assuming that was the diagnosis, what did they determine to be the underlying cause?
I also assume they put you on some type of diuretic like Lasix/Furosemide?

`

Old 08-27-2019, 02:33 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
[/color]

Haha, those darned wives. It is like they want to keep us alive, or something ! As I mentioned in my earlier post, I would probably be dead today if my ex hadn't made me get in the car and go to the ER.
We you good to her in the settlement since you owe her your life?

`

Old 08-27-2019, 02:41 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Not only will they ignore symptoms.... They’ll continue on with their unhealthy lifestyles... even after a cardiac event. They get a bypass, stent etc and think the problem has been fixed so they just keep going like it never happened.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:36 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
A long time friend was over the other day and she told me about her 60 yr old male cousin, the picture of health and fitness, married 29 yrs no children so it was he and his wife and during some exercise recently he dropped dead. The doctors who are doing autopsy work etc are talking Lipids and so I found a lot of info on this and loss of growth hormone.

https://hghtherapydoctor.us/hgh-ther...-heart-health/

https://www.heart-health-guide.com/i...h-hormone.html

I'm using a homeopathic growth hormone gel now into 8 months and feeling some aging and poor health reversals.

With all the work I'm doing, I'm believing this is something our doctors are missing as we age.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:12 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
I could probably write a book on this subject. I survived a Widow Maker only by the grace of God, Open heart surgery, and a recent major scare when a piece of plaque broke loose and wedged itself in one of my arteries. According to my Dr. I was no more than three weeks away from certain death. Fortunately I immediately recognized that something was wrong in my chest, and sure enough the catch showed major blockage in two arteries.
My heart surgeon told me the heart attack I had was 80% hereditary, so it was coming whether I wanted it or not. Not if but when kind of thing.

I could go on and on but like I said, I could write a book about this. Best to you and your health OP.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:00 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Ignored the first one for weeks - chest pains and severely winded walking up a moderate slope. One night pains were too severe, called an ambulance. One stent.

Four years later symptoms came on me suddenly, recognized them, called ambulance. Three stents. That was a decade ago.

A bit of a slow learner.
By slow learner, do you mean it took you the second time to make lifestyle changes? If so, what lifestyle changes did you make?

Old 08-27-2019, 10:04 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
I'm the Op. After a stent it scared me and I try to eat heart healthy. It's hard to eat heart healthy. At first I was completely ignorant and had to learn. I like to eat and go to a lot of church events with snack tables and sometimes I break the rules especially if it's something I really like.
So many people eat fast food hamburgers full of bacon and cheese and all kinds of other really bad stuff, this has to catch up with them.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:35 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
Husband got up and came and got me, said he'd just thrown up and had awful chest pain. I'm an idiot. I told him oh I get that all the time, take an antacid and it'll go away. He did. It didn't. He tried to lay down and sleep but the pain was too bad. He tried another antacid. Finally said ok take me to hospital which I did. Lots of IV's, tests, etc. next day a stent, came home with a life vest for some weeks. All recovered now, hopefully to not go through that again and not to rely on my medical help.

He'd been to his GP just a few weeks before and ekg was a-ok. We never thought this was lurking. He'd been ignoring the bad cholesterol test. Few years prior, that test was bad. We never got a paper copy of the labs. I kept telling him he better watch his diet. No, he said I was wrong. Over and over. Yep, now he believes me. And takes his medicines. I never leave a Drs. office without getting a paper copy of the labs. In black and white, there it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement