U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:34 AM

8,410 posts, read 5,157,263 times

Advertisements

I've found certain people simply do not comprehend that traveling with another person means behaving responsibly. They seem to think they've been magically transported back to the Seventies, when their only duty was to pee before scrambling into the back of the Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

On long drives, if you're the passenger and you stare out the window for hours at a time without uttering a word, that's your last trip with me. The same goes if you're playing with your phone silently for hours. It's rude. The driver, after all, is doing all the work. The least a passenger can do is be helpful and amusing. Talk about the news of the day if you really cannot think of anything else to say.

It's also considered polite to offer to share the driving duties.

If it's a two-day drive, you don't stay up past midnight and sleep in the next morning. The early morning hours are often the best time to be on the road and reach your destination well before dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:29 AM

24,469 posts, read 18,205,084 times
Why do you want to compel people to talk on a long drive? I'd rather listen to music or even have someone sleeping than constant chit-chat.

Old Today, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Why do you want to compel people to talk on a long drive? I'd rather listen to music or even have someone sleeping than constant chit-chat.
My music isn't their music. I wouldn't subject anyone else to what I listen to. I'm polite.

A sleeping passenger is a dangerous thing for a fatigued driver. I was in an accident as a passenger where I fell asleep and the sound of my sleep breathing lulled the tired driver into sleep as well. We hit the back of the car in the lane in front of us, did a 180 at freeway speed and ended up on the shoulder. Bent the rear axle and did other substantial damage.

Old Today, 11:39 AM

32,754 posts, read 20,618,381 times
Like with anything in life, everyone has a different definition of what a good traveling partner is/does.

Someone who talked non-stop would tempt me to drive off a cliff.

Communication is key. DH and I are looking at a lot of travel with a 5th wheel, and we have discussed things we would do on long trips to entertain ourselves, and prevent murder/suicides.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 12:27 PM

3,874 posts, read 1,690,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Like with anything in life, everyone has a different definition of what a good traveling partner is/does.

Communication is key. DH and I are looking at a lot of travel with a 5th wheel, and we have discussed things we would do on long trips to entertain ourselves, and prevent murder/suicides.
Agree. Driving alone is great just because you don't HAVE to talk.

Old Today, 12:59 PM

32,754 posts, read 20,618,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yep!! DH and I have set-up activities that are private in the car, I can listen to podcasts on my headset, and he can watch a movie, books whatever. Ear plugs to sleep.

We'll still talk and do stuff, but you need that quiet time. Of course if the driver is tired the other will stay awake to help them. Car karaoke is always good for that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 01:05 PM

16,608 posts, read 10,555,822 times
I agree about offering to help drive but endless chitchat? nope. Don't want to do it and don't want to listen to it.

As for hours awake,asleep imho that's the driver's call. If they want to sleep in and leave late so be it.

Old Today, 01:05 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,101 posts, read 40,627,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Amen to that!!!

Silence is Golden.

Having a yappy partner is murder (or could be), especially on overnight drives.
Sleeping passengers are a blessing!

Ugh... 'Team' driving was hxll, I would rather cut my earnings and stay solo. Especially on ICE in the Mtns! Tough to 'sleep' with a bozo at the wheel blasting CW music and singing / whistling along when you are attempting to rest...

Go Solo!

Old Today, 01:11 PM

14,166 posts, read 8,858,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I..........
On long drives, if you're the passenger and you stare out the window for hours at a time without uttering a word, that's your last trip with me.............
Yeah, we're a little different, you and me.
I drive silently and appreciate a passenger who can simply "be".

Old Today, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I didn't say "non-stop." Please feel free to re-read my comment since you blatantly misrepresented it, as you often do with my posts:

Quote:
The least a passenger can do is be helpful and amusing. Talk about the news of the day if you really cannot think of anything else to say.

Helpful might mean looking up the location of something or calculating the miles remaining to the destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement