U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM

8,705 posts, read 9,787,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Looks like I am the only one here who travels in silence. I have a musical ear (violin), and if I can't hear every part of the piece, it just comes off as a little shallow.

Driving the 18 wheeler, I usually had my window down. It's pretty calm and even fairly quiet in the big trucks with the window down. When it rained I would just play my hand in the rain. Most radio music is pretty bad.

I sometimes enjoy a silent ride. I'm usually not paying that much attention to the music anyway but thinking about 'other stuff'. I have a case full of CDs so I can listen to what I want to when I do. There are some places in this country where you're lucky to get any radio at all.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who "plays" in the rain out the window. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM

3,965 posts, read 3,644,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
But you are there. That's the point. Why aren't you enough?

IDK, I guess I'm just an oddball (am I really, though?).

Whenever I travel some place by myself, if I like it, I always think "I gotta come back here with so-and-so" (the so-and-so differs depending on the situation, whether it's my wife, one or both of my kids, or a friend). Sharing an experience is half the fun of having it, no?

Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM

4,799 posts, read 3,331,278 times
Reading these posts I know I must have slept throughout most of my life. OMG, what have I missed!!

Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM

8,228 posts, read 5,019,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
There's always a first time for everything. I've been traveling solo since I was 25 and have done many road trips and vacations alone. I love going by myself and most of my trips have been by car. Even when I fly I go solo though. I've never had a plane travel companion. Never been on a cruise but have never had the desire to do it. The idea of spending a week, or however long, with 2,000 other people just doesn't appeal to me. I've never done international travel solo or otherwise. Have never been able to afford it but would love to go to England, Ireland and Scotland.
I understand the dollar is strong now relative to the pound. Iím eyeing hotels in London.

Air fare may be less than you think.

Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM

8,705 posts, read 9,787,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I understand the dollar is strong now relative to the pound. Iím eyeing hotels in London.

Air fare may be less than you think.

Unfortunately MY dollars are not that "strong". A year ago, no problem, but not now.

Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM

4,812 posts, read 2,619,071 times
Aren't you and hubby doing a round trip by train in a sleeper/sleeperette? You sparked our interest in that and we were hoping to get updates on your train trip.

Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM

4,703 posts, read 1,820,498 times
Flying around the world for <$1,000 and only having to pay for one ticket.

Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Sharing an experience is half the fun of having it, no?
Not to me.

My experiences are intensely personal. No one else has ever shown any interest. Perhaps you have the gift of description that brings your experiences to life for others.

Old Today, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Aren't you and hubby doing a round trip by train in a sleeper/sleeperette? You sparked our interest in that and we were hoping to get updates on your train trip.
Did I mention that? I'd forgotten.

We booked roomettes for the leg from Maricopa (Phoenix) to Los Angeles. In the West, roomettes are standard sleeping compartments. You get two seats facing each other. At night, the two seats fold down into a level surface, which the car attendant covers with a mattress and bedding. If two people are occupying the roomette, the upper bunk swings down from the ceiling. It is narrower than the lower bunk and bounces with every jolt from the rails. I lasted 10 minutes in an upper bunk once. I now buy two roomettes.

Many's the morning traveling solo I've gotten up and made my way to the coffee station at the head of the stairs to encounter a bleary-eyed fellow passenger. "Upper bunk?" I inquire. He just nods. It's always a man. I love that you guys try to tough it out so your wives can get some sleep.

Traveling in first class -- all sleepers are first class -- has its perks. You get red cap service when you detrain and in Los Angeles they deliver you directly to the Metropolitan Lounge where you check in with the desk clerk, then find a place to relax. The Metropolitan Lounges are in most major city Amtrak stations, and as some have said, it's often the best thing about Amtrak. You can have your luggage stored while you go exploring or just help yourself to a beverage and a snack. For our morning arrival, they had Danish, orange juice, coffee, tea and soda. The Lounge employees go the extra mile to make sure you will not miss your connection or get anything else you might need, within reason.

Once we were checking in at the Metropolitan Lounge in PDX and I happened to mention it was our anniversary. When we went to the dining car that evening, they had prepared a special dessert for us and presented it with a flourish. That was one amazing crew.

Since the leg from Los Angeles to San Jose is entirely during daylight hours, I stupidly bought only one roomette, not remembering that DH would not be willing to leave any of his luggage downstairs in the racks. So it was piled between our seats, forcing me to fold my legs and painful knee for the 10 hour trip. If you buy a roomette and go with a companion, either leave your locked luggage downstairs in the luggage rack or take a minimal amount. Roomettes are tiny: only about six feet long and maybe 48 inches wide. I just went online and paid for a second one for the trip back to AZ next week.

Old Today, 12:04 AM

6,910 posts, read 3,823,549 times
I enjoy solo road trips and the freedom not to be on anyone's schedule. I stop if I see something interesting. I rarely go more than 400 miles in a day and I like to stay in historic hotels so I research the route and places to stay.

I especially like solo long-distance train trips and get a roomette sleeper. A passenger train is a community on wheels and people usually want to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement