U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM

1,689 posts, read 1,557,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I enjoy solo road trips and the freedom not to be on anyone's schedule. I stop if I see something interesting. I rarely go more than 400 miles in a day and I like to stay in historic hotels so I research the route and places to stay.

I especially like solo long-distance train trips and get a roomette sleeper. A passenger train is a community on wheels and people usually want to visit.
Amtrack stops at the historic La Posada Hotel in Winslow, AZ. I stayed there for a night when driving to Utah and enjoyed it. The restaurant, The Turquoise Room, is great too. While taking the train to the La Posada would be fun, it stops/leaves there about 7 am which is rather early for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,932 posts, read 40,434,621 times
As a couple we travel well together but we each are very comfortable traveling solo.

Since we are gone over 50% of the time, at least 50% of the gone time is solo. (by choice... elder care, siblings, friends, different tastes, different schedules). Since we lived and worked internationally it has been pretty normal to take off on our own and meet up somewhere of our mutual choosing.

We are each on borrowed time, so one of us will be solo traveling more in the near future. (after the estate sale).

I really prefer solo. I used to go with 2 - 5 friends on motorcycles and I disliked the 'decision time' at every stop. I nearly always led the pack, as I have a very low coefficient of 'down time' / "wondering" what to do next. Solo I probably make some wrong decisions, but at least I make a decision and GO! Fortunately, I have a pretty keen 'sense-of-direction' from ages as a truck driver to remote sites and wilderness packer.

As a company traveler >50% of the time, I avoided co-worker joint trips. The last thing I wanted was to be spending hours on end AFTER work / on weekends with my co-workers. As a Supply Chain manager... The all-night 'hosted' girly clubs in Japan and China were a real PITA. I liked the fresh fruit plates!!! but all the bottles of 'whatever' and the 'lap-dogs' I found irritating and degrading. So much for 'cultural sensitivity'. Take me HOME, please! Yes, NOW! On the other hand... getting up at dawn and walking / riding bike through the small farming communities with the fog lifting off the Rice Paddies. Ah... my kind of awe. Taking the evening to visit a rural family and try to communicate / share about farming practices or livestock or cooking +++. DS had a great time solo traveling while I was 'working', did that all day, everyday while 'unschooling' our kids, living internationally.

I guess we could each be defined as 'solo preference', since we seldom sit together on flights (by choice)
Every open seat on SWA is your available choice! Sometimes we each like window (2 hr sunset last week from LAX to PDX!!! + SF lights at dusk. we BOTH enjoyed from different rows. Sometimes we each like aisle seats (17 hr flights SFO to SIN). I never watch movies, DS loves movies. I dislike camping, (except MC and wilderness), DS grew up ' trailer camping and really likes that (what a bother!!!) so... DS has a personal MH and LOVES it! Great !!! I take a MC and head out! See ya.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; Yesterday at 01:26 AM..

Old Yesterday, 03:08 AM

18,481 posts, read 23,760,731 times
i average over 1k a week travelling by car for my work...... ive done this for 25 yrs.. all over the northeast...

in my younger years yes, id turn the classic rock up and love to go fast......on the back roads.... (radar love...great post!)

because I travel so much for my work..... yes I LOVE the freedom...the times I get stuck at the regional office to cover vacations....is the only thing I HATE in life....to be staring at a computer screen ...day after day .....much respect for those that do it..

ive tried not to get cynical......and soured on driving....... from the negatives....hitting wildlife - almost hit a moose over 10 times.....to driving in snow and ice....to today 1/2 the people ...are driving while on their I-phones....... to getting stuck behind prius's going 10mph below speed limit and no where to pass....

one of my favorite in life from years ago was.....going to an old granite quarry jumping off the high cliffs into the water ...... then driving my motorcycle thru the back roads wearing nothing but shorts....

I do believe driving can be good therapy....the road is freedom....you determine where- what direction you are going and the destinations are endless...... and when you are listening to your favorite music.....it can be therapy........ even after all the miles....when I drive certain roads ..... the memories do come back.....from around my grandmothers place...to places we use to go as kids...
a foreign co-worker once told me you americans are obsessed with your automobiles......
I smiled and said....it's just not driving....it's just not getting to a destination...... its sometimes getting behind the wheel.......and not knowing where or when you will arrive.....you are in total control....in your own little world....driving into an open abyss of humanity ..... again with freedom ....to go where your whims take you..

ive got to add this... I use to ask my family's elders what their definition of success was....
one old aunt smiled and said.... "when you can go to most any department store and buy whatever they have in the store" to get in a car.....got to any restaurant buy whats off the menu ....that's success....and just knowing you can do that is the freedom of success...that most in my generation did not know or have.. most of our lives...she said that car allows you to take jobs...visit friends from miles away ...it's really remarkable"

Old Yesterday, 04:08 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,503,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
IDK, I guess I'm just an oddball (am I really, though?).

Whenever I travel some place by myself, if I like it, I always think "I gotta come back here with so-and-so" (the so-and-so differs depending on the situation, whether it's my wife, one or both of my kids, or a friend). Sharing an experience is half the fun of having it, no?
I don't think you're an oddball. I kind of think the same way. Most of the people I know travel with others. From what I know solo travel is a much smaller percentage of leisure travel than travelling with others. Someone can correct me if they think I'm wrong. I've done a little solo travel but not much. I've found that the only place I may actually prefer to travel solo to are big cities where I can kind of blend in with the masses and see what I want, when I want. I went solo to Washington DC and it was great. There's so many attractions, it's a bustling city, and you don't stick out if you're alone. I went solo and with company to Las Vegas and prefer going with company. Even though Vegas is a big city, it's a tourist town with most visitors on vacation. It was okay going solo but my personal preference would be to go with the right companion.

It's really a person thing. I'd even say most people would prefer to have the right travelling companion than go solo. This thread may attract a lot of solo travelers compared to their numbers in the general population.

Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM

7,036 posts, read 3,902,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Turning up the music and singing at the top of your lungs.

Stopping by the side of the road and taking pictures of cactus flowers.
Listening to an audio book and not having to clear it with anyone else. I'll admit, I loved this:
And being free to do whatever the hell you want.
My MIL gave me a mug that says:

We are a Sacred Sisterhood of Wonderful Wacky Women

I kept it tucked away after she died but now I'm going to take it on solo road trips with me so I can have her with me in spirit.

Do you enjoy traveling alone?
I've been single most of my adult life. Whenever I've had to travel, I've almost always had to travel alone. I hate it, although, I don't care for traveling, period. It's also very dangerous, since women are a target of criminals. I travel with a gun, if I'm in my own car and it's legal in the state I'm traveling in.

Strange men pulling up in old cars next to mine, when I pull off the road. Strange knocks at my hotel door in the middle of the night. Following closely behind me on the interstate for miles, even though there are hardly any other cars on the road. That's some of my experience traveling alone.

Maybe if I could take an Amtrak trip, that might be nice. See some of America close up and personal. But that would be lonely, maybe. No one to share a beautiful view with? I don't know.

Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM

10,623 posts, read 6,050,256 times
Again I find this thread fascinating to read. I am fine doing things alone. As I worked in outside sales I was on the go alone and went to lunch by myself for nearly 30 years, I always enjoyed my little "Dave Aways" where I would travel alone for a long weekend But I too believe it's much more enjoyable to share the experiences. Last night as I was in bed watching TV the wife came in and asked if I wanted to go on the roof of the motel, she had discovered an open door. I jumped up and went with her. It was an amazing experience with views of the ocean, the bay, and the city lights as far we could see. But it just would not have been the same had I done it alone. I could not even imagine being on the same plane with my wife and not sitting together

Maybe it comes with finding a partner with similar interests. In our 60's we still love to camp. A few years ago it was really hot and the wife didn't want to commit to the entire trip, so we took 2 cars and she went for the day and then left. I found by 8:00 I was bored and felt like going to bed. I also noticed some strange looks, a man camping alone in a camp ground is not normal and it showed in the behavior of the other campers.

Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM

5,753 posts, read 4,287,838 times
I took a solo trip a few backs. really last second decision and was only gone for a couple days but it was really nice. i was a tad stressed from work and home to be honest. i just got up early on a Sunday and started driving... I felt an immediate relief after about an hour on the road..

It was nice but didn't last long. Encourages me to do this more often...

Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM

7,955 posts, read 4,501,077 times
As always, contrast is the salt that gives flavor to every experience. If you're ALWAYS alone, alone not by choice, or have no other option but to travel alone, if traveling alone is the norm and not the exception -- it's not all that "exhilarating."

Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

6,450 posts, read 4,861,452 times
I spent months traveling alone in an RV while my wife was helping our daughter with newborns. I traveled 4 months alone last Fall. My wife had planned to join me but did not feel well.

I find it much, much more enjoyable to travel with my wife. We do have similar interests in photography and enjoying natural beauty.

Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

1,563 posts, read 720,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Maybe if I could take an Amtrak trip, that might be nice. See some of America close up and personal.
But that would be lonely, maybe. No one to share a beautiful view with? I don't know.
I've complained here on CD about the dreadful unreliability of Amtrak.
However, if your focus is the journey, not the arrival, you'd probably enjoy it.
Some of the long-distance trains do travel through very scenic areas.
And if you feel like chatting with someone, hang out in the cafe car.
I'm not the outgoing type, but even I managed to be part of some enjoyable conversation at meals.

Sometimes there's even an upside to Amtrak's tardiness:
e.g., when I rode the Coast Starlight, the train ran so late that it passed through the beautiful Mt Shasta region of California in daylight.
Had it been on time, it would have gone through in the wee hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement