U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 01:40 AM

7,262 posts, read 4,044,112 times

Advertisements

No, I like to travel with my husband. I also liked to travel with my sister when we were younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 05:20 AM

13,145 posts, read 14,380,763 times
I think the first time I travelled abroad, and I was alone, I really did feel exhilaration. Maybe the best time of my life.

All of my long distance traveling has been alone. It is only when I have gone to beach resorts that I go with other people and stay together. In that case it was clear that we are all there for the same thing sun, sand, surf and sex.

But I like history and archeology for one thing, and a little goes a long way for most people. And I tend to wander, dawdle and go off course, which can - understandably - drive your companions nuts. And finally, people talk too much...conversation's okay at dinner, but when I'm walking around or stop in a meadow, I do not want to hear a stream of yakityakityakyakyak.

Mostly I think I just feel relaxed and at ease traveling alone.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:42 AM

8,409 posts, read 5,157,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
My hobby is photography and travelling with someone on a road trip would cause me to not stop or take the time for photographs when I want. My wife understood that and would take a book and just sit in the shade and read while I puttered around with my camera or went off down some back road. I always make hotel reservations ahead of time so I could stray off the main route for a few miles and we didn't have to worry about where to stay. Now, on my own, I wouldn't expect to find a travelling companion that understanding.
I donít know why not. Sitting in the shade with a good book and a cold beverage sounds like heaven to me.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:49 AM

16,604 posts, read 10,555,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I think the first time I travelled abroad, and I was alone, I really did feel exhilaration. Maybe the best time of my life.

All of my long distance traveling has been alone. It is only when I have gone to beach resorts that I go with other people and stay together. In that case it was clear that we are all there for the same thing sun, sand, surf and sex.

But I like history and archeology for one thing, and a little goes a long way for most people. And I tend to wander, dawdle and go off course, which can - understandably - drive your companions nuts. And finally, people talk too much...conversation's okay at dinner, but when I'm walking around or stop in a meadow, I do not want to hear a stream of yakityakityakyakyak.

not into the history/archeology stuff but I totally agree with people talking too much and I'd add have to have the radio or some other noise on.

I just prefer quiet.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:26 AM

89 posts, read 20,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

Traveling in Asia alone was great. I stayed over a weekend here and there when I had to go over for business, booked my own personal travel and walked about the cities alone as they are pretty safe but used common sense as well.

In china getting to some places is a bit harder to do alone, but if you stay away from the major tour company groups ( 100 people on a tour bus all headed to the same overrun destination) you'll be just fine. I often booked with a smaller independent, 8 of us in a mini van company out to parts of the great wall, where no one else ventures. Still got the obligatory visit to a silk or jade factory connected to lunch but even that was still interesting. Went to to the forbidden city completely on my own. Watch which ring your hotel is in if you take a cab, because when you come out you may have a devil of a time getting anyone to take you back.

Our National parks are great as well for single travelers. Get a small cooler and a wall mart lawn chair, find a secluded spot next to a river or lake, relax in the quiet and scenery.

I really wish I could, but I can't take my SO to these places. There are times I wished she could see some of these things. I plan short duration antiquing trips and to craft fairs she likes but she has zero interest and is unwilling to try or take a flight of more than 5 hours duration. Even turned down a return to Hawaii trip once because it was too much flying. She is always afraid she will not have anything to eat regardless of my assurances a last resort american fast food place is never that far away and we can always buy food for a picnic style meal if needed. She does not care for history or art so a museum visit must be short and though she does not say anything out loud, I always feel pressure to move along vs linger.

So sometimes you have to find a mix if you have a life companion and sometimes you just need to leave them home. As long as they are not laying a passive aggressive guilt trip on you, or even if they are, go for it. Life is short.

Old 08-29-2019, 09:40 AM

1,165 posts, read 462,650 times
My wife hates to drive anywhere more than about six hours total. Me? I love to drive. Anytime, anywhere.

I drove from Phoenix to Iowa a few years ago to particiate in Ragbrai - the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa and the drive there and back was as great as the ride itself. It's about time to repeat that experience again! lol

Old 08-29-2019, 11:58 PM

4,846 posts, read 2,647,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Did I mention that? I'd forgotten.

We booked roomettes for the leg from Maricopa (Phoenix) to Los Angeles. In the West, roomettes are standard sleeping compartments. You get two seats facing each other. At night, the two seats fold down into a level surface, which the car attendant covers with a mattress and bedding. If two people are occupying the roomette, the upper bunk swings down from the ceiling. It is narrower than the lower bunk and bounces with every jolt from the rails. I lasted 10 minutes in an upper bunk once. I now buy two roomettes.

Many's the morning traveling solo I've gotten up and made my way to the coffee station at the head of the stairs to encounter a bleary-eyed fellow passenger. "Upper bunk?" I inquire. He just nods. It's always a man. I love that you guys try to tough it out so your wives can get some sleep.

Traveling in first class -- all sleepers are first class -- has its perks. You get red cap service when you detrain and in Los Angeles they deliver you directly to the Metropolitan Lounge where you check in with the desk clerk, then find a place to relax. The Metropolitan Lounges are in most major city Amtrak stations, and as some have said, it's often the best thing about Amtrak. You can have your luggage stored while you go exploring or just help yourself to a beverage and a snack. For our morning arrival, they had Danish, orange juice, coffee, tea and soda. The Lounge employees go the extra mile to make sure you will not miss your connection or get anything else you might need, within reason.

Once we were checking in at the Metropolitan Lounge in PDX and I happened to mention it was our anniversary. When we went to the dining car that evening, they had prepared a special dessert for us and presented it with a flourish. That was one amazing crew.

Since the leg from Los Angeles to San Jose is entirely during daylight hours, I stupidly bought only one roomette, not remembering that DH would not be willing to leave any of his luggage downstairs in the racks. So it was piled between our seats, forcing me to fold my legs and painful knee for the 10 hour trip. If you buy a roomette and go with a companion, either leave your locked luggage downstairs in the luggage rack or take a minimal amount. Roomettes are tiny: only about six feet long and maybe 48 inches wide. I just went online and paid for a second one for the trip back to AZ next week.
Thanks for the detailed description of the roomette. It doesn't sound very comfortable, though better than just regular seats. I would not be able to do an upper bunk, either. The seats facing each other that pull together, though, remind me of the old style European cars of years ago, and that brings back wonderful memories for me. I've experienced some great train trips in my lifetime, including the California Zephyr as a child, but no train trips recently.

I've never been on Amtrak.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:01 AM

5,102 posts, read 3,582,441 times
I've just been on one Amtrak ride, from Minneapolis to San Francisco, but it was so awesome. Hearing talk of it, it all came rushing back. I think I may do it again but that's a lot of figuring out. My plan would be from wheverer Arizona to Seattle. But that's in the future.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:17 AM

2,552 posts, read 7,862,209 times
Here in Germany, I am spoiled by the opportunities to travel by train. I have made my home base in Leipzig the past 4 months, taking day trips from here in all directions. I ride my bicycle to the main train station in about 12 minutes. Trains leave here going in all directions on the map. A 30 to 60 minute train trip in any direction takes me to an interesting place where I can then take a 30 to 40 mile bike ride. Then I end up at a different train station, and take a train back to my starting point in Leipzig. There are excellent bike route maps for sale in bookstores, and many of the main bike routes have signs along the way to help with navigation. I miss a turn now and again, but have not got "lost" on my outings. The google map app on my smartphone also helps with navigation. Every trip along a new route is a mini-adventure.

Although my frequent day trips are solo outings, I meet interesting people almost every time. It would be much more difficult if I didn't speak German or were afraid to talk with "strangers". Yesterday I met a woman who was picking wildflowers for making herbal tea. It started raining, and we took cover under a nearby pedestrian bridge and chatted for half an hour. Turns out she has gone on solo multi-month walking trips, along pilgrimage routes across Europe. In recent years she walked from Leipzig to Santiago de Compostela on the Atlantic coast of Spain. She also walked from the Baltic Sea coast of Poland to Rome. I was stunned, and it made my solo bike trips pale by comparison.

Old 08-30-2019, 08:49 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,401,004 times
Default And the Sista ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Turning up the music and singing at the top of your lungs.

Stopping by the side of the road and taking pictures of cactus flowers.
Listening to an audio book and not having to clear it with anyone else. I'll admit, I loved this:
And being free to do whatever the hell you want.
My MIL gave me a mug that says:
We are a Sacred Sisterhood of Wonderful Wacky Women
I kept it tucked away after she died but now I'm going to take it on solo road trips with me so I can have her with me in spirit.
Do you enjoy traveling alone?

... saw a beautiful sight of snow capped mountains, a glistening lake surrounded by a pine forest and turned to _________? and said, "Do you see that!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement