Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 07:35 PM

292 posts, read 357,850 times

Advertisements

Yes, love to travel solo. Also love to travel with (good) company. I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to travel extensively over the past couple years--not for long at one time, but that's a small price to pay. I just got home last night from a solo trip to Greece. I thought Athens great for solo travel, Santorini not so much.

The Galapagos is on my bucket list, but that's a place I'd like to take someone along (this would be kids or grandkids), because I'd love for them to have the experience and our shared memories. Other places, alone, it's nice to be able to sit at a cafe, lolligag around a museum, or go shopping without worrying who is and isn't having a good time.

Don't judge, , but I've found Facebook a way to stay in touch and share some of the excitement when I'm traveling by myself.

There are some great comments here, so glad to have stumbled on to this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 09:40 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Thanks for the detailed description of the roomette. It doesn't sound very comfortable, though better than just regular seats. I would not be able to do an upper bunk, either. The seats facing each other that pull together, though, remind me of the old style European cars of years ago, and that brings back wonderful memories for me. I've experienced some great train trips in my lifetime, including the California Zephyr as a child, but no train trips recently.

I've never been on Amtrak.
Apparently roomettes are different on some routes. I've never had one with a water faucet and basin but some in the east have that feature. I think Americans have grown larger since the roomettes were designed. The last time I climbed up to the top bunk I got turned around and was facing the foot of the bed. Trying to reposition in the small space gave me a muscle cramp -- my wife thought it was hilarious. Now it is one person to a roomette and it is still a bit tight. My first experience on a sleeper was way back in the 1950s with those curtained compartments -- upper and lower (Remember "Some Like it Hot"?). My dad and brother were on top and me and my mom on the bottom -- I have no idea how we managed but we did. The modern roomette is an improvement over that. At least you can stretch out, have a "secure" place for your stuff, and have free meals if you have a roomette of larger sleeper. I would like to go solo from here (near Albuquerque) to Seattle by train in the next year or so.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:48 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
^Yep, in the East the roomettes feature a bed that pulls down out of the wall, Murphy-style, plus a sink and your own personal toilet. The equipment is much older than that in the West. The room is tiny, for sure.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:32 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I always travel alone. I do outdoor photography road trips to various states. I need the passenger seat in my car for my camera equipment as I do take a lot of photos from the car which serves as a blind. I do not do the things most people consider to be fun when they travel. I eat in my hotel room, get up at the crack of dawn, dress only in play clothes and spend my evenings reviewing the photos I took that day.

Plus, I wouldn't want a travel companion to hear me yelling at the "GPS lady" and what she can do with her "recalculating" when I ignore her.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:56 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I always travel alone. I do outdoor photography road trips to various states. I need the passenger seat in my car for my camera equipment as I do take a lot of photos from the car which serves as a blind. I do not do the things most people consider to be fun when they travel. I eat in my hotel room, get up at the crack of dawn, dress only in play clothes and spend my evenings reviewing the photos I took that day.

Plus, I wouldn't want a travel companion to hear me yelling at the "GPS lady" and what she can do with her "recalculating" when I ignore her.
Don't insult her...She is the only female companionship I have on my road trips.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:04 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I always hear judgement and attitude in that word. My poor sense of direction is job security for her.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-18-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've just been on one Amtrak ride, from Minneapolis to San Francisco, but it was so awesome. Hearing talk of it, it all came rushing back. I think I may do it again but that's a lot of figuring out. My plan would be from wheverer Arizona to Seattle. But that's in the future.

You'd book the westbound Sunset Limited and get on in Maricopa, AZ. Next morning you're in Los Angeles at Union Station. You wait a few hours for the northbound Coast Starlight to arrive, as it originates in L.A. Once onboard, you have a marvelous trip up the coast through California, Oregon and Washington to Seattle. If you eat in the dining car, you'll meet many people.

Just something to daydream about.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:46 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
.....If you eat in the dining car, you'll meet many people.
Since you have told us that even all your friends are fungible, I cannot imagine why you would bother.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Since you have told us that even all your friends are fungible, I cannot imagine why you would bother.
I'm certain this is far from the only failure of imagination you've ever had.

Look, JRK, I've been treated badly by people my entire life. They make the same fundamental mistake you do: That something I state about my own life is somehow applicable to theirs. And so they act like JRKs. There's literally nothing you can say to me that will cause me to feel hurt or injured. I have heard it all.

Speaking of bothering, why do you? Life not working out the way you planned?

Old 09-20-2019, 06:42 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
As an only child, I didn't grow up with someone around me all the time. I will travel with a romantic interest or immediate family, but oftentimes even that's grudgingly. If I'm going on vacation, with the exception of one partner, I've always preferred to do it alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement