Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 01:46 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

Turning up the music and singing at the top of your lungs.

Stopping by the side of the road and taking pictures of cactus flowers.

Listening to an audio book and not having to clear it with anyone else. I'll admit, I loved this:

And being free to do whatever the hell you want.

My MIL gave me a mug that says:

We are a Sacred Sisterhood of Wonderful Wacky Women

I kept it tucked away after she died but now I'm going to take it on solo road trips with me so I can have her with me in spirit.

Do you enjoy traveling alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 01:48 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I absolutely love traveling alone.
I traveled constantly as a salesman and when that was over I drove an 18 wheeler. My pickup truck has been converted into a 1-man RV.

I'll take it a step further. I don't like traveling with company.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:49 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Not yet. But my husband said he will only go to Japan once, after that I’m on my own if I want to go there more than once. I might do that. But I’m always free to do what I want anyway, with or without my husband.
Btw, I like the cactus picture.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I absolutely love traveling alone.
I traveled constantly as a salesman and when that was over I drove an 18 wheeler. My pickup truck has been converted into a 1-man RV.
I love that! Wish I could remove the passenger seat -- Mercedes calls it the co-driver seat -- in my van.

Quote:
I'll take it a step further. I don't like traveling with company.
There may be some people in the world who are wonderful company on road trips. Even then I think we solitary ones want to be alone with our thoughts and our peculiarities.

On a trip back from Arizona a few months ago, I was listening to a podcast of Steve Morse being interviewed by a guy from a guitar magazine. No way would anyone else want to sit through an hour of that but I found it fascinating.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:57 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZObv6QgRXc

Old 08-27-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Not yet. But my husband said he will only go to Japan once, after that I’m on my own if I want to go there more than once. I might do that. But I’m always free to do what I want anyway, with or without my husband.
Btw, I like the cactus picture.

Wish I had taken it but maybe the photographer's website will get some views (and purchases) from it.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:01 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
I LOVE traveling alone and obviously I'm not the only one. The dog is always welcome 'cause she doesn't care what I listen to or how my singing is going. I've traveled with one other person, several, or large groups/tours. Give me my alone time to contemplate the passing scene. Can't beat it!

Old 08-27-2019, 02:07 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Yes. DH and I traveled well together; we were/are both laid-back and interested in many of the same things and also had similar priorities about when to splurge and when to go cheap. He was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia in mid-2016 and a few months before he died I scheduled a Panama Canal cruise for myself the following April, knowing he was unlikely to be alive by then. Bless him, he was happy for me. He died in November, 2016.

It was healing. It was a small-ship cruise (under 100 passengers) and the cruise company tends to attract people who are curious and focused on nature. I wasn't surrounded by party animals or honeymooning couples, which might have been rough. I've since been to Iceland, Greenland, India, Nepal, Scotland, France and the Sea of Cortes. Of course I'd take healthy DH back in a minute but his stamina was waning years before he got really sick and he didn't tolerate warm climates well. I found that I could spend hours in the Surgeon's Museum in Edinburgh gawking at pickled specimens of every kind of tumor, or compare Icelandic and English in the informational panels in the museum, take a tour in French and sometimes put away the map and just wander in a city.

More trips in the planning stages!

Old 08-27-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I LOVE traveling alone and obviously I'm not the only one. The dog is always welcome 'cause she doesn't care what I listen to or how my singing is going. I've traveled with one other person, several, or large groups/tours. Give me my alone time to contemplate the passing scene. Can't beat it!

How cool would it be to have a dog that sang along?

Old 08-27-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's a good one!

Though some say the definitive nighttime driving song is Golden Earring's _Twilight Zone_.

Either is a fine choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement