Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 05:32 PM

999 posts, read 548,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
One particular trip I took by myself was a bicycle ride from New Jersey to Montreal. The scenery in upstate New York, from the Catskills thru the Adirondacks was breathtaking, but I thought I'd burst because there was nobody there with me to share it. That was before cell phones and instantly posting everything online and constantly being in touch with everyone.
But you are there. That's the point. Why aren't you enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 05:53 PM

804 posts, read 394,439 times
As a solo, my travel is mostly by cruise ship and long cruises are preferred. I try to take 1 or 2 transatlantic crossings per year. I always look forward to 6 or 7 consecutive sea days before arriving at the next port of call. Being on deck or my balcony and seeing water all the way to the horizon is just fantastic.

One other good thing is that my cell phone is always in the room safe on airplane mode. No need whatsoever to stick my face in a phone. Mindfulness!

Last edited by Rastafellow; 08-27-2019 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: add text

Old 08-27-2019, 05:53 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,239,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
I've pretty much always traveled alone. It would be nice to have someone to travel with, but in my age range, so many people are locked down with mortgages, kids, 9-5 jobs... I would love to meet some people who have the freedom to enjoy this sort of lifestyle.
On my last cruise there was a large group from Women Traveling Together. There's a central Web site that sets up trips and you can sign up. They'll match you with a roommate if you don't want to pay a single supplement. I was really impressed with the women from that group- they did tend to stick together for meals but clearly some had been on multiple trips together and there were a lot of long-term friendships. They were mostly singles and mostly in their 30s to 60s, with interesting careers. It's something I might consider someday; I'm also in a position where few people I know have my freedom, interests and travel budget. I don't want a roommate, though.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,734,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Do you enjoy traveling alone?
I like traveling alone in the bush but not in big cities. The worst part of traveling alone is not being able to share the day's experiences with your partner/buddy/SO/whatever over dinner. When you are alone it can get a little lonely, particularly if you are going out to eat in restaurants. Nothing worse than going to a really cool little bistro for dinner in Spain or Bogota and eating alone. But on a road trip, I just talk to myself.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:08 PM

999 posts, read 548,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
As a solo, my travel is mostly by cruise ship and long cruises are preferred. I try to take 1 or 2 transatlantic crossings per year. I always look forward to 6 or 7 consecutive sea days before arriving at the next port of call. Being on deck or my balcony and seeing water all the way to the horizon is just fantastic.
That sounds so nice. I wish I didn't get motion sickness. I went on one cruise in my life--and spend the entire time vomiting in my room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
On my last cruise there was a large group from Women Traveling Together. There's a central Web site that sets up trips and you can sign up. They'll match you with a roommate if you don't want to pay a single supplement. I was really impressed with the women from that group- they did tend to stick together for meals but clearly some had been on multiple trips together and there were a lot of long-term friendships. They were mostly singles and mostly in their 30s to 60s, with interesting careers. It's something I might consider someday; I'm also in a position where few people I know have my freedom, interests and travel budget. I don't want a roommate, though.
That's neat! I wouldn't want a roommate either in general (if it was my lover it would be ok), but I suppose for something like a cruise that would make sense.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:13 PM

15,242 posts, read 12,834,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Girl View Post
That sounds so nice. I wish I didn't get motion sickness. I went on one cruise in my life--and spend the entire time vomiting in my room.
On my first cruise, I felt horribly ill. I went down to the ship's doctor and he gave me an IM injection of something that made me a little sleepy. I napped for a couple of hours and woke up feeling fine for the rest of the cruise.

Now I just make a beeline to the doctor's office once I get on the ship.

Some cruises, like an Alaskan Inside Passage trip, are in water so calm there's little possibility of seasickness.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:31 PM

5,407 posts, read 3,972,433 times
I wish I could say that I did enjoy solo travel. Since my husband died, I have been dismayed at the thought of traveling alone. I know I am missing a lot. Maybe some day.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:43 PM

25,361 posts, read 17,020,027 times
Looks like I am the only one here who travels in silence. I have a musical ear (violin), and if I can't hear every part of the piece, it just comes off as a little shallow.

Driving the 18 wheeler, I usually had my window down. It's pretty calm and even fairly quiet in the big trucks with the window down. When it rained I would just play my hand in the rain. Most radio music is pretty bad.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:43 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,857,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I wish I could say that I did enjoy solo travel. Since my husband died, I have been dismayed at the thought of traveling alone. I know I am missing a lot. Maybe some day.

There's always a first time for everything. I've been traveling solo since I was 25 and have done many road trips and vacations alone. I love going by myself and most of my trips have been by car. Even when I fly I go solo though. I've never had a plane travel companion. Never been on a cruise but have never had the desire to do it. The idea of spending a week, or however long, with 2,000 other people just doesn't appeal to me. I've never done international travel solo or otherwise. Have never been able to afford it but would love to go to England, Ireland and Scotland.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:46 PM

10,296 posts, read 8,461,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I remember blasting down country roads in Porsches to that song!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement