U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM

16,552 posts, read 5,430,068 times

Advertisements

• I stopped going skiing, though I would still like to try it again if I had someone to ski with.
  • I stopped doing as much home cooking because I don't want to spend the years left remaining to me slaving away in the kitchen. I decided to stop feeling guilty about take out, frozen food or convenience food items, though I try to make healthy choices and avoid junk food.
  • I stopped buying dressy clothing that I'd never wear and instead focus on garments that are comfortable and easy care. I like Travelsmith and Magellan.
  • I no longer buy trousers that require belts.
  • No more high heels. One or two inches is my limit.
  • I stopped dyeing my hair and am getting highlights only while I transition to gray.
  • I stopped using foundation and switched to tinted moisturizer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

10,839 posts, read 8,160,274 times
I've stopped 1) regretting the past and 2) worrying about the future.

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

3,757 posts, read 1,928,888 times
I've stopped:

In-line skating
snow skiing
going to clubs with loud music
wearing make-up when I stay home
working
getting up at 5am
going to bed at 9pm
caring what people think of me

Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

26,370 posts, read 33,362,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeyCakey View Post
As we have had what old and young people things you do , what about things you have stopped doing over the years?

I would , only recently paying for things in stores with cash , mainly just use card now a days
Only one thing that I can think of. I stopped aerating and seeding my yard. I have a service that does it for me. I made that change about 5 years ago. I'm not retired yet though - I just was tired of trying to time my yardwork with the weather.

Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

22 posts, read 9,863 times
I am planning to retire within a year so I've stopped buying work clothes! I have plenty and won't wear tailored professional clothes in my retirement life.

Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM

6,091 posts, read 9,615,500 times
Driving at night. Had LASIK, have "stars" with enlarged pupils, and now, age-appropriate cataracts. (No regrets for the LASIK. OMG, six years without needing to wear glasses - that was a gift!)

Carrying my bicycle down the stairs. In fact, going down the stairs without a hand on the railing. No railing? I'm *not* walking down those stairs. Except I bought a hiking stick because I wanted to walk some trails that were just a little uneven, and on some trails that little bit of additional support makes it possible.

Walking up stairs is still comfortable unless I'm carrying something (my bicycle) that just is too difficult to balance.

Having a camping arrangement that makes me climb up/down during the night. I'm too old/unbalanced/fragile to take chances with falling.

Old Today, 07:09 AM

10,657 posts, read 5,036,571 times
- Paying bills with a check
- Mowing the lawn - finally hired somebody
- Listening to the radio in the car, I prefer it quiet most of the time when I'm driving
- Sunbathe
- Go out at night, rarely do I go out in the evening

Old Today, 07:39 AM

6,490 posts, read 5,199,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I stopped shaving my legs. The hair that started growing there during adolescence has finally stopped growing. Someday I may be able to stop using deodorant... my mother didn't need it anymore when she got old.
lol - same. Not much there, so why bother?

Old Today, 07:41 AM

6,838 posts, read 8,188,374 times
No more cutting, edging or trimming the yard. HOA's do it now.
No more sun bathing
No more barbers. Should have started head shaving years ago.
No more smoking, staying up late or excessive drinking. I usually drink a beer on the screen porch most late afternoons. I'm retired now. My job is to take care of myself.

Old Today, 07:47 AM

8,229 posts, read 5,019,612 times
I've stopped caring about what my spouse likes (very little) or dislikes (almost everything). Negative people can't be pleased or brought around to a positive, hopeful outlook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or