Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 01:24 PM

645 posts, read 1,539,533 times

Advertisements

Fun question OP. Been retired and divorced since 2013... So:

Which Things have you stopped doing?

- Left the TV with Ms. cheater pants, never got another, so it's a TV (indoctrination) free zone.

- Setting an alarm clock

- Shaving every day; either once a week or grow a big ol' bushy beard.

- Giving even less eff's about the opinions of others... I treat all people with respect and kindness, and if they won't/don't reciprocate, not my problem... Some folks are just insufferable A-holes, that thrive on being so.

- Keeping much of a tab on my finances. I've been my own money manager/financial adviser since I was 22, set and kept my plan and never thought lack of $$$ for my modest needs would ever come to fruition. It has.

- Allowing myself to be around anyone with as much as an atoms worth of toxicity. One peep, and it's door-slam time w/o as much as a pang of guilt.

- EVER doubting my gut.

- Believing that the word "NO", is not a complete sentence for those situations where required.

- Putting my needs behind everyone else's.

- Wondering what I'm going to wear 99% of the time... It's amazing how well a well fitted, bright white/colored and clean T-shirt goes with every pair of jeans and shorts I own.

- Shoveling the driveway/cutting grass until I damn well get around to it.

- Raising and lowering the toilet seat a billion times a day... Lowering then raising once a day seems to be the proper interval.

- Wearing out the thermostat since cheater pants is gone... Yep, I like it 58 in the winter, and summer too.

Lastly... Doubting the person I always was, was just fine all the time, despite well aimed slings and arrows fired from a person I thought loved and cared about me... Turns out I was nothing more than a reliable appliance that had a hopeful giving heart and spirit, being played by virtue of those virtues, and taken advantage of by a lizard-eyed monster. I faithfully loved and trusted blindly, and what another might appreciate and cherish, was weaponized where not even scorched earth was enough; the fields were salted too.

No sob story; simply what I learned, what I will no longer accept, and that even when you think you can not take anymore, you are far stronger than you may realize, and the sun does rise another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 01:52 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
I stopped pouring over my investment accounts. The only thing I have now is a Deferred Compensation program, that I put into very safe investments. I checked a week ago or so and it was up $1.53 for the year. It's not going to gain or lose very much. We'll probably start dipping into it next year.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:32 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
wow.

"...only recently paying for things in stores with cash , mainly just use card now a days."
i am the opposite. used cards for decades. now, it is always cash when accepted.
for example: our dry cleaner does not take cash anymore.

other things:
1. stopped going to the movies. last one was "Inception", nine years ago. Leonardo.
2. stopped going to the same church all the time. mixing it up made some new friends.
3. stopped going to the bank once a week. go once a month now. just to say hello.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:42 PM

178 posts, read 124,361 times
I stoped driving at night.
I stopped buying cheap shoes and expensive clothes.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:06 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I've stopped caring about what my spouse likes (very little) or dislikes (almost everything). Negative people can't be pleased or brought around to a positive, hopeful outlook.
Our husbands must have been separated at birth...!

Old 08-28-2019, 06:13 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
I've stopped having sex with multiple swimsuit models at a time.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:23 PM

3,271 posts, read 3,930,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I stopped shaving my legs. The hair that started growing there during adolescence has finally stopped growing.
Me too, and I'm a 61 year old geezer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post

Someday I may be able to stop using deodorant... my mother didn't need it anymore when she got old.
Umm, ahh, maybe call that "plan b"?

Old 08-28-2019, 06:25 PM

3,271 posts, read 3,930,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I've stopped having sex with multiple swimsuit models at a time.
Aka, stopped taking your dementia meds?

Old 08-28-2019, 06:51 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Aka, stopped taking your dementia meds?

Something like that. But hey - a fella can dream, can't he?

Old 08-28-2019, 07:24 PM

314 posts, read 238,386 times
Default ...life is good...

'stopped prioritizing what needs to be done. And have not noticed any lingering effects. And life has gotten much better. I still mow the lawn. And pay the bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement