Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 08:04 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
My mother-in-law stopped using deodorant when she got older. WRONG! She smelled like BO. It was bad.
No doubt, lol. I know I'll be using deodorant till the day I die, seriously. And shaving my legs. Back in the 70's when I tried not shaving my legs I was told by a female coworker that I had hair on my legs just like a man . Sooo, back to shaving. But she had to have weighed 300 lbs, and had a big mole on her chin with hair coming out of it. But did I tell her about her issues? I was too shocked to say anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 08:17 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
I stopped buying flowering plants.

I used to spend hundreds of dollars each spring on hanging baskets, etc. This is south texas, no matter how much water you used, by late July - all straggling.

Then i took a trip to New England. The flowers i used to buy were the same flowers they had all over their small towns. But guess what - beautiful cool weather. The plants were huge and beautiful. It made me mad that our local stores were selling us a product that would last a few weeks and then die.

So now i stick to my tomatoes and Mexican petunias. Those things are beautiful.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:29 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The list is huge....
- Balancing my check book (I used to be anal about it)
- Changing the oil in the car (I pay to have it done now)
- Going to doctors (I refuse to get sucked into endless worries about my health. If I die, oh well, I've had a great life)
Heh... the first 2 describes my father.

I noticed he still writes expenses and earnings into a paper check book, but doesn't bother with the "balance" column anymore. In a weird way, it was fun "solving" the puzzle of why you were $3.50 off. However, later on, the time just wasn't worth it. It's more time efficient to just lookout for "unauthorized purchases" and such.

He used to have that "ramp thing" you drive up, but he used it enough that he only broke even. Not came out ahead.

For the last one, I'm glad he still goes, as there are some things of discomfort and not feeling well that ended up being taken care of.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:29 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
I stopped bear wrestling and lion taming. It was time to call it quits and I was getting bored with it anyway.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:21 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
I haven't read the whole list but, like others, I no longer shave my legs or my armpits except on rare occasions. Hair is very sparse in those areas. Dropped cable and now have Netflix only.

The major changes have been since DH died. Life is good in general but I no longer do anything on high ladders in the house- no one around to call 911 if I fall. I also no longer take long bike rides. I used to be able to call DH if I got a flat- not anymore. I do have an Uber account and I know I could just lock the bike and come back and get it later, but it seems like too much hassle- and so does trying to repair a flat on my own.

I buy very few clothes, and none from department stores, Made in countries with slave labor, too flimsy, made more for 20-somethings. I have a few brands that I like that make some or all in the US. Chico's, in particular, makes clothes that are pretty and flattering to older women and I can always find something I like on the sale racks. I have plenty of clothes already, though- good, classic styles that still fit. So far this year all I've bought is a pack of socks.

Last edited by athena53; 08-30-2019 at 06:30 AM..

Old 08-30-2019, 08:14 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
stopped reading all those retirement advice articles.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:15 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I haven't read the whole list but, like others, I no longer shave my legs or my armpits except on rare occasions. Hair is very sparse in those areas. Dropped cable and now have Netflix only.

The major changes have been since DH died. Life is good in general but I no longer do anything on high ladders in the house- no one around to call 911 if I fall. I also no longer take long bike rides. I used to be able to call DH if I got a flat- not anymore. I do have an Uber account and I know I could just lock the bike and come back and get it later, but it seems like too much hassle- and so does trying to repair a flat on my own.

I buy very few clothes, and none from department stores, Made in countries with slave labor, too flimsy, made more for 20-somethings. I have a few brands that I like that make some or all in the US. Chico's, in particular, makes clothes that are pretty and flattering to older women and I can always find something I like on the sale racks. I have plenty of clothes already, though- good, classic styles that still fit. So far this year all I've bought is a pack of socks.
I don't go to department stores either. I buy my clothes online. This year i didn't buy much at all. A couple pairs of cargo shorts. I decided to just wear my last years summer clothes until they get threadbare!

But i did order new funeral clothes -

At my age - those are frequent around here. It is weird how my older siblings and friends will say they don't have anything to wear to these events. Be prepared!

Old 08-30-2019, 01:30 PM

586 posts, read 314,030 times
I stopped doing heavy repairs on the cars. I got Charley horses in my legs.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:52 PM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Very reassuring to read the list of things. I am not weird after all!
Stopped cooking as much as I did. Make big batches soup or casserole and eat it when we are hungry. My husband will jazz it up tomatoes and peppers but just heat and eat and when it is all gone, wash and repeat.
I stopped 3 meals a day. More like 2 and a snack.
I still like to shop for clothes but ver choosily and carefully.
I donate one if I add one to the closet.
Never go to movie any more.
Restaurants are a turn off. Rather eat at home fresh and healthy
Learning a new language and taking my time with it.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:10 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,128,844 times
I could name the stuff, like not going to the movies or outdoor concerts, not buying new clothes, not driving at night, but what really thrills me is the stuff I'm still working on not doing, based on an essay by Adrienne Peroth. She's not a senior citizen, but she learned at an earlier age what she needed/wanted to be done with. Here are some that resonate with me:

"She was done trying to please everyone. She realized it could never be done."

"She was done with friendships based on shared history and past experiences. She realized if friends couldn’t grow together, or were no longer following the same path, it was okay to let them go."

"She was done fighting, trying to change or not her accepting her body. She realized the body she came into the world with was the only one she had—there were no exchanges or returns—so love and acceptance was the only way."

It ends with:

"She was done being something she was not. She realized the purpose of life was to be truly, happily who she was born to be…and if she paused long enough to remember, she recognized herself."

There's so many more in the essay:

https://adriennepieroth.com/2016/01/she-was-done/

Last edited by jazzcat22; 09-01-2019 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement