U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 06:31 AM

9,079 posts, read 7,879,847 times

Advertisements

Just saw your post this morning. I have no doubt you struggle. In most societies, family takes care of their elderly. Maybe your daughter could help you out financially, or move you to where she is, or you could move in with her. Here's another possibility: you could rent a room in someones house or take in a renter to save on housing costs.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:17 AM

12,480 posts, read 7,105,025 times
I used to deliver meals on wheels and personally fed two elderly neighbors for years. the problems I observed weren't that these elderly people lacked money for food, but their inability to get to a grocery store, they could no longer drive, or an inability to maneuver cooking. grocery shopping is impossible if there is no transportation or one is too weak to pick up a grocery bag. Cooking is impossible if one hasn't the strength to use can opener or good enough eyesight to work the stove.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:31 AM

57,256 posts, read 55,503,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
To YOU $5.99 is inexpensive. To people on food stamps, that's a whole day's worth of food. I just posted that the whole amount of food stamps a person can get only equals a little under $6.50 a day.

Wheelchairs are expensive, too. And no, if the counters are too high, it's difficult to cook sitting in a wheelchair. Try it sometime.

How are people ordering this food to deliver? Online? You think that people who have problems affording food are going to pay $60 or more a month for internet access?

Boy oh boy oh boy. Are you in for a wake up call when you get old.

And God forbid if they smile at anything if they're on welfare or food stamps. Doesn't everyone know "those" people are supposed to go around like they wear a hairshirt all the time? People on food stamps are also not supposed to enjoy eating, either. That's according to all those upright citizens who want them to eat only oatmeal and ramen.

I've read news stories about customers who complained about not being helped in a store because the employees were helping someone who had a heart attack. I used to wonder where customers like that came from. After reading some of the comments here, now I know. There's a lot of people walking around who have ice for blood and a stone instead of a heart.

Dude, in most stores a boxed cake mix is maybe $1. And you still have to add the eggs. Don't be so petty.

By the way, processed foods include things like pancake mix where you just add water. Let me guess, you'd prefer someone buy oil, milk, eggs, baking soda, and flour to make their morning pancakes?

You can make your own butter, too, by buying heavy whipping cream. I've done it and a quart of whipping cream ($3.99) makes maybe half a pound of butter. But God forbid someone spend $3.99 on a whole pound of butter, right?

*sigh* Those on food stamps just can't win. People complain when they buy expensive healthy food and say they expect them to eat just ramen and macaroni and cheese, but then those same people complain when those on food stamps buy the cheap food and gain weight on it instead of buying expensive healthy food.
Let 'em eat cake (but only if they bake it themselves.)

Old 08-31-2019, 07:42 AM

1,488 posts, read 668,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'll admit that there are few fast foods that I like more than a McChicken with ketchup and onions. You can get two of those for $3. They're delicious and an average person may get full on one.

I was in Knoxville this morning, and went shopping at Costco near Turkey Creek. You can get the bulk meat cheaply there, but the membership is $60 annually. For a very poor person, that may be a barrier. They might cut a whole pork loin up for you - I don't know - but many places charge for that. Slicing a big chunk of meat can be a challenge.

People often suggest sandwiches, but decent quality lunch meat is much more than boneless, skinless chicken breast or pork loin. Boar's Head bologna is $7/lb here - beef bologna is $8/lb. Virtually any good cut of ham, roast turkey, roast chicken, etc., is $9+/lb.

Sure, you can eat the $2/lb budget meats until you're blue in the face. It can be and is done. I bought another quart of local blueberries for $6 today raised on Unaka Mountain. A dozen ears of local corn for $5. I have several dozen bags of frozen local corn to last me into the next season. We still have cucumbers, various peppers, crookneck and zucchinis, and half-runner beans all still coming in.

It's still a lot cheaper to buy the junk produce at Walmart.
People need to stop thinking their diet needs to revolve around meat, for their wallets, their health and the planet. I will admit that there is an educational component to making people aware of how to have a complete diet without meat.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:43 AM

6,544 posts, read 5,231,234 times
Very interesting comments

I'll just keep on helping with the food bank. We can't just let all this go to waste.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:50 AM

14,475 posts, read 7,754,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Dude, in most stores a boxed cake mix is maybe $1. And you still have to add the eggs. Don't be so petty.

By the way, processed foods include things like pancake mix where you just add water. Let me guess, you'd prefer someone buy oil, milk, eggs, baking soda, and flour to make their morning pancakes?

You can make your own butter, too, by buying heavy whipping cream. I've done it and a quart of whipping cream ($3.99) makes maybe half a pound of butter. But God forbid someone spend $3.99 on a whole pound of butter, right?

Nice hyperbole. By context where I referenced yellow sheet cake, I was referring to prepared food, not a $1 box of Betty Crocker cake mix and 2 eggs and splash of vegetable oil that drive the food cost from $1.00 to $1.30.

To repeat myself for the Nth time in this thread, the problem in the United States is "care insecurity", not food insecurity. When someone is disabled and can't cook for themselves, the safety net is very limited until you're warehoused in a Medicaid nursing home.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:47 AM

1,847 posts, read 1,160,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Nice hyperbole. By context where I referenced yellow sheet cake, I was referring to prepared food, not a $1 box of Betty Crocker cake mix and 2 eggs and splash of vegetable oil that drive the food cost from $1.00 to $1.30.

To repeat myself for the Nth time in this thread, the problem in the United States is "care insecurity", not food insecurity. When someone is disabled and can't cook for themselves, the safety net is very limited until you're warehoused in a Medicaid nursing home.
I've seen a few good nursing homes that happen to accept Medicaid.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:56 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,815,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Personally, I'd exclude all processed foods from SNAP benefits. It takes 30 to 45 minutes to prep and bake yellow sheet cake and another 10 minutes to frost/decorate it. Pineapple upside-down cake is more like an hour to get the brown sugar/pineapple caramelized. Why should my tax dollars fund someone too apathetic to bake a birthday cake?

When I was unemployed at the Great Recession, I learned how to bake.

Too apathetic??? C'mon, some people actually DO work even when they get food stamps. Single moms especially might have time crunch problems. I'm pretty sure those expenditures aren't an every day thing and I don't think they should be 'shamed' because of it. As a Walmart cashier I was privy to what people use their food stamps for and most shop the same as I do. Frugal and as healthy as possible. I did used to wonder why people...anyone, not just EBT users...would buy packaged cut up fruits and veggies instead of doing it themselves. Costs less to do it yourself.

If processed foods were no longer allowed what's left?? Eggs, milk, bread? Good diet. So much of our food IS processed these days what would they be allowed? Beans and rice get old fast.

Why did you wait till the recession to learn how to bake? I started baking at age 12.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:10 AM

657 posts, read 139,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplehaired View Post
Do you have any idea at all of the standard your state has for SNAP? That’s Supplementary Nutritional Assistance Program that used to be food stamps. A senior in this state has a max of $192 a month, that is $6.40 PER DAY ALL INCLUSIVE for food. They take your income and apply a formula for rent, medical and heat, then give you the difference between that resulting # and $192. So if you have OTHER BILLS YOU”RE SCREWED!!!!!
To be fair, I'm seeing the word 'supplementary' in there, so perhaps it doesn't imply buying 100% of things you put in your mouth. Dunno.

'round these parts, there's a chain called 'Grocery Outlet' which is basically a discount grocery store. In my household of two, we eat super well, never eat out, and are running about $100/week for food by buying there. This is buying 100% raw food except for the occasional condiment or jar of pickles.. Honestly, $192 for a person doesn't sound that scary although it would be a bit harder to manage for a single person given the package sizes.

I think I agree with anyone who sez that 'elder hunger' is more a question of care than food. That in-between state of disability, midway between a fully functioning adult and having Nurse Ratched take you to the bathroom twice a day looks like a tricky thing to maneuver.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:12 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,815,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
Agreed. that is why I don't get angry when people on SNAP have the latest Apple phone or nicer watch than I have. They may need that latest Apple phone to take a picture of their kid's birthday cake or need that expensive watch to ensure that they can get to work on time. As a taxpayer, who am I to judge?

They may have already had those items before they had to apply for EBT. Believe me, the application itself is complicated and they are NOT going to let you have/keep anything that will put you over their stringent limits. People seem to think that you can just go ask and you shall receive. Nope. And don't EVEN think about asking for monetary assistance. That one, if you don't have kids, is next to impossible even in you are handicapped and don't have much income to start with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or