U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 07:11 PM

14,070 posts, read 6,730,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
SNAP doesn't care what one spends their disposable income on. Beer, or the more common anecdotes presented by detractors of the program; Iphones and expensive sneakers.
Detractors for what. Stop your BS. Of course SNAP doesn’t care or doesn’t know. She obviously has milked the system. She was on financial aid. The state of California paid for her college tuition. If you are on free food, beer is not food. It’s entertainment. Maybe we should have a thread about entertainment insecurity.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:33 PM

12,578 posts, read 12,758,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post

If you don't like this, you'd better talk with God, because he set this system up, not me.
No, humans set up the system. It may come as a surprise to you, but Christians don't charge for their food pantries or require income statements. They figure if Jesus didn't charge to feed the 5,000 they shouldn't either. Talk to one sometime. You will be astonished to find that Christians care for their fellow human beings and don't condemn them to starve to death.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:51 PM

205 posts, read 211,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Having a dishwasher, and using it for just about everything that needs washing up after cooking, makes the whole process more worth the effort to me. I know some people like washing dishes by hand. OK, fine, some people like to be tied up and beat with whips. Not me, OK?
This was too funny! I live alone and cook a lot but usually not really elaborate meals but I always wash my dishes by hand and place them in the dishwasher to dry. There usually aren’t that many and it takes a couple of minutes. I’ve been in the new apartment 4 months and ran the dishwasher once right when I moved in to test it.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:58 PM

777 posts, read 232,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
No, humans set up the system. It may come as a surprise to you, but Christians don't charge for their food pantries or require income statements. They figure if Jesus didn't charge to feed the 5,000 they shouldn't either. Talk to one sometime. You will be astonished to find that Christians care for their fellow human beings and don't condemn them to starve to death.
Strawman much, Larry? I'm speaking to the system in which we humans get older, more frail, less able, less healthy and ultimately die with time, commonly referred to as "aging". ALL of us. No exceptions. Do yourself a favor and set up the odds of your experiencing it with the least amount of misery possible. Those that don't do that are going to have it harder than those that do. Stark reality. By the way, how many people actually starved to death in the United States last year? I'll wait while you count them up. But I'm betting it's darned close to "zero", especially if you don't include those that suffer from anorexia.

Obviously, how we treat those elderly who can no longer care for themselves, is a human problem (and solution). And by "God", I meant "Pick One", not necessarily referring to the God Of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. I don't presume to understand who's correct in that particular debate, so I tend to stay out of it. "You believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Knock your friggin' socks off, Dude." is my own personal belief system. The One True God will reveal himself one day. Or not. In the meantime, all we're left with is Reason (and Faith, if we're blessed enough to have it).

I've recently retired and am probably now referred to as a "senior". I've watched the process occur in my grandparents, parents, almost all aunts and uncles, some cousins, and one sibling. I'm preparing for my own decline, although I try not to dwell on it, through further choices in housing location, transportation options, health care options, etc.. Enjoy your life while you can, but eventually, see ya on the other side. Maybe.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:32 AM

39 posts, read 6,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Just saw your post this morning. I have no doubt you struggle. In most societies, family takes care of their elderly. Maybe your daughter could help you out financially, or move you to where she is, or you could move in with her. Here's another possibility: you could rent a room in someones house or take in a renter to save on housing costs.
My daughter is a member of the working poor thank you. My grandson has health issues that she receives public assistance for. I AM a roomer in someone’s home thank you.

Any other bright ideas?

How about an apology for being so cruelly thoughtless? Sorry, that should read thoughtlessly cruel, but that can happen when one has had a stroke that affects their language processing which is why I am a roomer. There is no fun to be had laying on the floor unconscious for goodness knows how long with a head injury AFTER one has a SURPRISE!!!!!!! STROKE that has caused your now limp leg to send you into a solid immovable object with your head. YUP Double traumatic brain injury.

When people don’t think about the impact of their words in a public forum.....shame on them.

Last edited by Purplehaired; 09-01-2019 at 03:45 AM..

Old 09-01-2019, 04:09 AM

TeacherTerry, sorry quoting didn’t work here.

Do you mean the 2-4yr waiting list for low income senior housing? There are a plethora of Septa & Octagenerians waiting ahead of me. Too many boomers. And if you read my reply to augiedogie, it’s not safe for me to live alone anymore.

I must live life as it is, not as I wish it to be.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:57 AM

7,110 posts, read 3,943,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
Agreed. that is why I don't get angry when people on SNAP have the latest Apple phone or nicer watch than I have. They may need that latest Apple phone to take a picture of their kid's birthday cake or need that expensive watch to ensure that they can get to work on time. As a taxpayer, who am I to judge?
SNAP is for children.

It's not based on the parents not being able to buy Coca-Cola occasionally, and it doesn't stalk people or dictate what they must spend their money on.

The qualification for SNAP is that the parents are low income. Period. No matter what else they have or don't have, they are low income.

I've asked maybe 3 people in the past how they could afford an iPhone or any smartphone (I don't have one). They told me that a family member added them to a family plan, so it was really cheap per month, and the family member gave them an old phone, or because of the plan, it's able to be leased for little per month. They usually do not have landlines or new laptops; the smartphone is their household connection to the world. How they stay in touch w/family, pay bills, entertainment, etc. Not having the smartphone wouldn't solve the issue of being low income. (Since the phone replaces other things, it actually saves them money from the old days.)

My brother tried out a smartphone. He's older & not into new electronics, but gave it a try. It was a cheap brand of smartphone. I asked him how much it costs. He told me he got an AT&T plan for $30/month...and the phone was free or cheap (like $30 one time charge) because he signed up for the monthly plan. He discontinued the plan; he didn't like smartphones. AT&T didn't want the phone back, even. So he gave it to his low-income grandson; it could still be used for GPS and basic things like that, even tho it wasn't on a plan and couldn't be used for calls or texts.

Things are not always what they seem. These assistance programs (like the SNAP nutritional program for children) have their requirements. The people allowed to participate meet the criteria. That's all other citizens need to know. If they see someone committing fraud, they can report it. But judging from a grocery store line, or being resentful because of assumptions made from people wearing watches & having Smartphones, is bizarre, obviously unfair, and ignorant.

Last edited by bpollen; 09-01-2019 at 06:08 AM..

Old 09-01-2019, 06:08 AM

[quote=bpollen;56071242]SNAP is for children.

Please verify before you post.

SNAP = Supplementary Nutrition Assistance Program, who is eligible low income adults, seniors, families

WIC = Women InfantsChildren, self explanatory

Look it up if you choose not to believe one who receives SNAP

Old 09-01-2019, 06:11 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,689,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
SNAP is for children.
The qualification for SNAP is that the parents are low income. Period. No matter what else they have or don't have, they are low income.
You're thinking TANF. SNAP is for anyone poor enough to be eligible for it.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:20 AM

7,110 posts, read 3,943,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You can cook on a tabletop hot plate sitting in a wheelchair. People actually cooked meals before the internet existed. In my zip code, I can get groceries delivered. I have Peapod from Stop & Shop which is kind of expensive. Aldi is now delivering and that's inexpensive with a $5.99 delivery fee.
You are inexperienced at life, particularly life for the very low income or infirm.

A poor person can't afford a delivery fee at all, much less one that's $6.00.

You should also know that adults who get food stamps get only a small amount (it's supplemental assistance only, not full food provisions), and only for a few weeks or months, depending on the state. Food assistance long term is reserved for children, for obvious reasons.

I was poor when I was a young working adult. Every dollar went to living expenses from month to month. Rent, car note (for a used compact economy car), gas, insurance, groceries, maybe some cheap clothing occasionally. I could not afford meat. I had less than $5 left over most months (and I didn't eat that much back then, and bought lots of canned green beans on sale). I could not buy Christmas gifts or decorations for the house, I remember.

There are people working lots of places you go, where the clerk that waits on you is poor and eligible for assistance. If she has kids, she can get assistance with Christmas gifts for the kids (some charity programs provide gifts).They're not frauds. They are poor, even though they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or