U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 03:45 PM

6,634 posts, read 3,177,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In my rural area south of Tucson, AZ there are the following:

Three food banks, one run by a church and the others by the Community Food Bank
A senior lunch program run by Catholic Social Services
A produce distribution program selling 70# of produce for $12
Two churches offering one free lunch twice a month each
Meal on Wheels

There are Dial a Rides that will get you to most of these locations as well as a grocery store.

DO I feel that is adequate for the Community? Do I think that all nutritional needs are met by these programs? NO.

Senior nutrition is much more complex than having food delivered to them. What good is delivery service if it is limited to those within 5 miles? What good is home delivery if the local store, like the one closest to me is significantly more expensive than Tucson locations (Safeway)? What good is food delivery for older people when those most in need do NOT have internet access or computers.
Who runs the Dial a Rides?

Old 09-01-2019, 03:46 PM

657 posts, read 138,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
A large part of it imo is mentally ill people who will not accept help......i.e. they wont come in off the streets even if you give them a place to go.

One of our many local homeless people (a woman, oddly) has taken up the hobby of arson.

This is in area where if there's a big fire, everyone dies. Nothing is done of course since the balance of power has fallen on the side of leaving people alone.

I think part of the situation with 'solving the problem' is that all solutions have to cover all variants of the problem. It's not dissimilar to healthcare as an issue.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:48 PM

2,510 posts, read 887,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
When I was in graduate school at the university there, homeless people and food banks were a thing on nobody's radar (aside from one guy who looked like the 'Aqualung' album cover who hung out by the front gate). So what changed?
Really interesting question. I'm 66 and went to the U. of Cincinnati and don't remember too many homeless- there was one "Aqualung" type who was well-known, which may be an indication how less of an issue it was. If I think about why it's worse now, here are some possibilities:

1. The opioid epidemic and the subsequent move by many addicts to meth or cheap heroin.
2. More single-parent families where typically, the father (and I use that term loosely) is nowhere in sight. And somehow this becomes the problem of the government and charities and the absent parent is free to procreate some more.
3. The disappearance of good factory jobs. A strong body and a good work ethic are no longer enough to support a family.
4. Crazy-high real estate costs in some places making it almost impossible to afford even rent if you have a retail or other service job. One HOA in CA required that residents have their garage doors open certain hours of the day so they could make sure people weren't renting out their garages as living space.
5. Lack of residential facilities for the mentally ill.
6. And yes, baby boomers retiring, losing jobs and not being able to find another, or becoming too disabled to work.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:49 PM

736 posts, read 224,421 times
Thatís not how meals on wheels works. Totally not true.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:07 PM

2,749 posts, read 1,026,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My daughterís roommate in college was on snap and she went out drinking, I saw beer in her hand on her Instagram often.
That doesn't mean she got them from the food stamps. Beer is a non food item, and all the groceries, both food, and non food get checked out at once. Then after you pay for the food items with your snap card the computer separates the non food items out, and you pay for those on your own. No way she paid for the beer with snap.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:13 PM

218 posts, read 126,179 times
Quote:
When I was in graduate school at the university there, homeless people and food banks were a thing on nobody's radar (aside from one guy who looked like the 'Aqualung' album cover who hung out by the front gate). So what changed?
People may be more aware of homelessness today but it's been a problem for a very, very, long time.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK519584/

Old 09-01-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It is if you cook all your own food and shop intelligently.

Do you have an Aldi? The ones near me, eggs are 90 cents per dozen. A 22 serving container of steel cut oats is $3.00. Boneless chicken breast or thighs are $2.00/pound. Pork loin is even less. A quart of half & half is $1.55. Frozen vegetables are cheap. Tuna is 67 cents. You can eat pretty well on $10/day. 5 billion people on the planet spend less per day.

If someone is homeless so they canít cook, itís a problem. If you have a range and a refrigerator, $10/day isnít a problem.
$10 a day is $300 a month, and a lot more than the upper limit for a single person which is about $193. Aldis are not nation wide. I had never heard of them before I went to NC for a visit.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:47 PM

6,634 posts, read 3,177,936 times
Quote:
One of our many local homeless people (a woman, oddly) has taken up the hobby of arson.

This is in area where if there's a big fire, everyone dies. Nothing is done of course since the balance of power has fallen on the side of leaving people alone.

I think part of the situation with 'solving the problem' is that all solutions have to cover all variants of the problem. It's not dissimilar to healthcare as an issue.
Not sure exactly what you mean.

One of the reasons LEO keeps an eye on the homeless camp in the woods in our town is to ensure they follow the rules on fires.

There was another similar camp on the north end of town that ended up bulldozed because they had a shooting(2 men arguing about a woman) and possibly a woman setting her boyfriend on fire. Not sure what happened there as they eventually dropped charges against her. But, that was a younger group and obviously LEO got tired of their shenanigans or felt they couldn't control them. Probably more drugs involved. Not sure where they went.

The camp on the south end is more middle aged/elderly and I guess they aren't fighting over women. Also, probably more alcohol abuse than drug abuse involved. Not that that's great but probably not as much associated crazy violence.

In any case, imo this all goes back to shutting down/emptying all the mental hospitals in this country.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:04 PM

8,745 posts, read 9,811,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
People may be more aware of homelessness today but it's been a problem for a very, very, long time.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK519584/

That was an interesting article. I can see how the reasons for being homeless have changed over time. Back in the day, especially with immigrants, the Depression, life's setbacks, etc., most of them were actively looking for work so as not to be homeless. I suppose they probably had their share of alcoholics and mentally ill people too but not as much as now, it seems. And that makes me wonder why. It seems like these days I hear a lot about people who want to live that way but do they also want the gov't to take care of them?

I remember, as kids, we would see men walking along looking every inch a 'hobo'. My grandmother told us to stay far away from them. I remember some who came to the door and asked if she had food to spare. Or if they could fill their water canteens. This was late 40s, early 50s in our very small town. They were just passing through. We have homeless now but only a very few who stand on a corner asking for money. I know we have homeless shelters here and they are over crowded.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Of course not, it was at a bar. But she obviously had enough money extra to buy beer even on SNAP.
So? You put it in the budget as entertainment. Do you begrudge us once in a while having somewhat of a life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or