U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 09:20 PM

57,256 posts, read 55,503,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
See this is why i need the boys and girls cookbook, it tells me this information

That must've been a hell of a pot roast LOL
My then-husband-to-be said politely, "It seems a bit spicy." A short while later, I caught him out of the corner of my eye trying to feed it to the dog. The dog walked away.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:29 PM

98 posts, read 17,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My then-husband-to-be said politely, "It seems a bit spicy." A short while later, I caught him out of the corner of my eye trying to feed it to the dog. The dog walked away.
LOL oh you know it's bad when that happens!

Old 09-01-2019, 09:31 PM

657 posts, read 140,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

Feeding the homeless doesn't lead to more homeless! Wherever did you get that idea???
From simple observation. Areas with more forgiving law enforcement, strong advocacy, better services accumulate more homeless people. I can't understand why someone would argue otherwise.

A trip to Santa Cruz might be in order.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:35 PM

https://www.cbpp.org/research/food-a...er-health-care

"New and emerging research links the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly food stamps), the nationís most important anti-hunger program, with improved health outcomes and lower health care costs"

"On average, again after controlling for factors expected to affect spending on medical care, low-income adults participating in SNAP incur about $1,400, or nearly 25 percent, less in medical care costs in a year than low-income non-participants. The difference is even greater for those with hypertension (nearly $2,700 less) and coronary heart disease (over $4,100 less)."

Old 09-01-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
From simple observation. Areas with more forgiving law enforcement, strong advocacy, better services accumulate more homeless people. I can't understand why someone would argue otherwise.

A trip to Santa Cruz might be in order.
Homelessness is not a disease which spreads when the poorest people are allotted some healthy food and a level of medical care. This is some crazy stuff your trying to push here

Old 09-01-2019, 09:59 PM

2,751 posts, read 1,028,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Curly Q bobalink:

Quote (,paraphrase) " the idea that everyone needs 3 meals a day is poppycock"...

Once upon a time men worked from sunup to sundown plowing, planting, weeding, harvesting the farm.

Once upon a time women worked from sunup to sundown cooking. Canning, baking. Sewing by hand, washing etc, then sewed/crocheted/knitted til bedtime after dark, and when need be, helped to harvest the farms stores or cooked all day for the men doing the harvesting.

Point being that a LOT of PHYSICAL activity was required just to survive and live and 3 meals, plus probably snacks were REQUIRED.

We are a more sedentary society now, where we can run in and out in 10 minutes and come out with a ready to eat meal to eat after quick heating in a "miracle-wave" "oven".

We are also lazy. Most of us would starve if we had to grow all our own food. And butcher the likes of chickens and pigs and cattle. Compare: Think of wringing the chickens neck ( or chopping it off with a hatchet), plucking feathers for probably an hour ( saved to put into pillow ticking for " feather pillows" ugh...(they are heavy hard things compared to goose down, ask me how i know), then gutting it,( save the liver, heart and gizzard for gravy), then roasting it by the fire for 3 or 4 hours just to have dinner, instead of buying a ready to eat rotisserie chicken for $5 at Wally world, costco or other super store.

Need to sleep warm? Sew together scraps of good parts of worn out clothes for multiple interior layers, then buy dear costing good fabric for the top and back, and invite the friends over for a good old quilting bee to quilt it for a (heavy) warm quilt instead of a $19.99 Wally world blanket, made in china, Bangladesh or somewhere where labor is cheap.

The men folk are busy mucking the stalls and such so the animals remain clean and healthy.

Yeah, 3 squares a day were needed to keep up and sustain ones body for yet another hard days work tomorrow starting before sunup.

Excellent post. Thanks for putting our diets, and lifestyles in perspective.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:33 PM

14,032 posts, read 6,712,345 times
The poor people don’t eat healthy food because they avoid it. Came up with excuses. As my daughter told me, her roommate said she was allergic to onions, which my daughter loves to eat, it turns out she doesn’t like onions, she made it up as allergy. One example to say, It’s not lack of food. Maybe her parents didn’t introduce food and nutrition early in life. My daughters roommate was 240 lbs, could barely walk, complained she had foot problem. After seeing my daughter lost 40 lbs, she decided to copy and lost weight. Immediately foot problem went away.
In my household kids were not allowed to turn away any food. Same with my father’s household. We had to learn to eat things we don’t like. Same with my husband’s household.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:58 PM
JRR

3,849 posts, read 2,305,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
The poor people donít eat healthy food because they avoid it. Came up with excuses. As my daughter told me, her roommate said she was allergic to onions, which my daughter loves to eat, it turns out she doesnít like onions, she made it up as allergy. One example to say, Itís not lack of food. Maybe her parents didnít introduce food and nutrition early in life. My daughters roommate was 240 lbs, could barely walk, complained she had foot problem. After seeing my daughter lost 40 lbs, she decided to copy and lost weight. Immediately foot problem went away.
In my household kids were not allowed to turn away any food. Same with my fatherís household. We had to learn to eat things we donít like. Same with my husbandís household.
My mother had the same theory and forced me to eat fish even though I hated it. One of the perks of leaving home and joining the Coast Guard is that I wasn't required to eat anything I did not want to. To this day, I would rather eat dirt than eat fish.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:12 PM

222 posts, read 127,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
The poor people donít eat healthy food because they avoid it. Came up with excuses.
And all rich people eat healthy?? I don't think so. People regardless of their financial status have different likes and dislikes when it comes to food. It's natural, not a character flaw.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:13 PM

14,032 posts, read 6,712,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
My mother had the same theory and forced me to eat fish even though I hated it. One of the perks of leaving home and joining the Coast Guard is that I wasn't required to eat anything I did not want to. To this day, I would rather eat dirt than eat fish.
I wasn't being forced, but my father said to try them before rejecting them. Something is just an acquired taste. Just like beer. My husband splatted out Coke when he first tasted it, he was given a Coke on an American navy ship in Istanbul. It was too sweet.
I noticed some of my kid’s friends never picked vegetables or fruit when they were given a choice.
I love eating fish BTW, not something I thought I wouldn't like eating when I was younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or