U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2019, 11:19 PM

13,999 posts, read 6,699,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
And all rich people eat healthy?? I don't think so. People regardless of their financial status have different likes and dislikes when it comes to food. It's natural, not a character flaw.
Who knows whether they do or not, but one poster said SNAP is to provide food so they don’t get sick because it’s more expensive when they get sick. But It’s not true. You can’t control what they buy. In fact, if they buy a lot of cakes and cookies, that would make it worse.
It’s an illusion to think that they will go out and buy healthy food.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:29 PM

92 posts, read 15,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Who knows whether they do or not, but one poster said SNAP is to provide food so they don’t get sick because it’s more expensive when they get sick. But It’s not true. You can’t control what they buy. In fact, if they buy a lot of cakes and cookies, that would make it worse.
It’s an illusion to think that they will go out and buy healthy food.
There is research to support this so it isn't something I just said. Snap saves money on medial costs vs low income who do not sign up for snap. Moreso if you have a chronic illness. So clearly, people are eating healthier on snap vs their peers who deny it.

https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/20...-medical-costs

Old 09-01-2019, 11:38 PM

218 posts, read 126,179 times
Quote:
Who knows whether they do or not, but one poster said SNAP is to provide food so they donít get sick because itís more expensive when they get sick. But Itís not true. You canít control what they buy. In fact, if they buy a lot of cakes and cookies, that would make it worse.
Itís an illusion to think that they will go out and buy healthy food.
That poster was correct.

Someone with the ability to purchase food is more likely to eat healthy than the person who gets their lunch from a dumpster wouldn't you agree?

Old 09-01-2019, 11:40 PM

657 posts, read 138,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
Homelessness is not a disease which spreads when the poorest people are allotted some healthy food and a level of medical care. This is some crazy stuff your trying to push here
Of course not. Homeless people from outside the town move in. The ones who are there don't leave.

You'd be surprised how many bus tickets local governments hand out.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:47 PM

657 posts, read 138,658 times
Quote:
The poor people donít eat healthy food because they avoid it. Came up with excuses..
That doesn't strike me as restricted to the poor.

I think it's simple enough, we are seeing 70+ years (I'll just randomly pick post-WWII) of evolution in packaged/fast food and drink products towards things people want to eat. It's kind of like the excellence in design of slot machines, tv ads, pop music, cell phone applications, social media. There's a lot of brilliant people designing things that people want that aren't particularly good for them.

The tricky part is the overlap between subsidizing unhealthy habits and public funding of something like healthcare. I guess we could be like the Japanese and throw a tape measure around everybody on a yearly basis.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:11 AM

14,370 posts, read 24,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Who runs the Dial a Rides?

Sun Shuttle.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:59 AM

5,558 posts, read 2,850,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

Why did you wait till the recession to learn how to bake? I started baking at age 12.
To be fair, I didn't start cooking till I was in my mid-50s and on food stamps. I finally got tired of my food stamps running out the 3rd week of every month and decided to do something about making that food last. I discovered a couple of things: 1) cooking your own food does make it go much further 2) I have far less garbage and way more dishes when I cook and 3) I really hate cooking and doing dishes.

Although, I can finally make oyster sauce beef and anything teriyaki taste a lot better than take out. So there's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
That doesn't mean she got them from the food stamps. Beer is a non food item, and all the groceries, both food, and non food get checked out at once. Then after you pay for the food items with your snap card the computer separates the non food items out, and you pay for those on your own. No way she paid for the beer with snap.
When I was getting state disability, they put that on the EBT card. So I would pay for my food with EBT, then use the card again to pay for things like toilet paper and kleenex. You'd be amazed at how many people stopped to say I shouldn't be able to buy those things on food stamps. I had to explain to them that I was paying for it with disability income which was on the same card.

--------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of food banks depend on community donations. I volunteered at a food bank in a sort of "rich"town and it was amazing all the stuff they had. Fruits, vegetables, meat, bread, dairy, even cookies and cakes, plus a lot of stuff donated from a large local grocery store.

In the blue collar town I live in now, there are 3 food banks. You are allowed to register at one and only use that one. You won't be able to get food at the other food banks.

Not only that, but the food banks in this area all register your address as well, so when I tried to go another town a little further away, I was told it was only for those residents of that town and I needed to use the food banks in my town.

Problem is, the town I currently live in is so poor, there's practically no food donated to the food banks at all. They have a ton of canned food, some soft potatoes, and maybe some bread. Otherwise, there's no dairy, no vegetables, no fruits, no meat, and no sweets at all. And I hear the other two food banks are even worse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

There are so many variables when it comes to seniors going hungry, it's hard to account for them all. There may be a senior who has a hard time opening jars and packages (even I have a hard time with a lot of packages). Some seniors might live in a motel where they're not allowed to have a hot plate or do any cooking. Some seniors might live out in rural areas where getting to the store is a feat in itself (I'm going to be moving out to a rural area where my nearest grocery stores are 12 miles away). Some seniors live in food deserts. Some seniors live in their own house because it's paid for, but they can't afford the utilities if they pay the taxes. So they're living without electricity and sometimes even water.

A senior might need a car to get to a store, but maybe he can't afford one or shouldn't be driving one. Seniors may not remember how to cook or when to cook. And some seniors need special diets for diabetes or acid reflux. Ordering food to be delivered might mean they have to order a complete meal, half of which they won't or can't eat.

Then there are the physical problems of dental and eye care. If a senior needs to be able to read recipes and see the temps on stove and oven dials, and he has cataracts that prevent that, he's not going to be cooking much. Medicare doesn't cover eye exams and I have the bill sitting on my desk to prove that. Medicare also doesn't cover dental care. Many seniors have dental problems that can prevent them from eating. Some seniors need dentures and can't afford those, either.

The paperwork alone to get food stamps and subsidized housing is daunting. On Tuesday, I have to go into the housing authority here and requalify for my housing. Before I can do that, I need to see if the bank will print me out a statement for last month verifying my income. I don't have a printer at home and if the bank refuses to print anything out, I'll be driving 8 miles to Kinko's and spending money to rent a computer and pay for a printout there. Can you see someone who's 75 or 80 years old doing that?

Next week I also have to be requalified for the $15 in food stamps I get every month. That will mean filling out more forms and waiting at Social Services for several hours (think DMV lines+). There are people here who think you just show up and get showered with all this "free" stuff. I'd give a lot to drag them along with me and let them see the hoops I have to jump through to get food and shelter.

To expect someone who is 80 or 90 years old to do these things is ridiculous. Even someone who is younger and maybe has medical issues or mobility issues, doing this can be beyond their capabilities. And a lot of older people are so proud, too. Asking for these services is a blow to them. Asking for help to ask for these services is something many of them won't do.

It's not a single-solution-fits-all problem. That's why it's up to us in the community to keep an eye on our elderly neighbors who have no one else and make sure they're doing OK. Is it an imposition? Sure, but maybe somewhere someone is keeping an eye on your parents in case they need help and don't want to bother you. It's just the decent thing to do.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:08 AM

2,510 posts, read 887,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
There are so many variables when it comes to seniors going hungry, it's hard to account for them all. There may be a senior who has a hard time opening jars and packages (even I have a hard time with a lot of packages). Some seniors might live in a motel where they're not allowed to have a hot plate or do any cooking. Some seniors might live out in rural areas where getting to the store is a feat in itself (I'm going to be moving out to a rural area where my nearest grocery stores are 12 miles away). Some seniors live in food deserts. Some seniors live in their own house because it's paid for, but they can't afford the utilities if they pay the taxes. So they're living without electricity and sometimes even water.
<snip>
It's not a single-solution-fits-all problem. That's why it's up to us in the community to keep an eye on our elderly neighbors who have no one else and make sure they're doing OK. Is it an imposition? Sure, but maybe somewhere someone is keeping an eye on your parents in case they need help and don't want to bother you. It's just the decent thing to do.
Thanks for this- it was a real eye-opener. You'd mentioned dental issues and that's one of which I'm acutely aware because I know people with ill-fitting dentures. It affects your entire life (uncomfortable even to watch them talk as the dentures shifted) and limits what you can eat. All the crispy, crunchy veggies they tell you are good for you (and the cheaper cuts of meat, which may be tougher) are out of the question.

I talked to my Dad last night- he's in Independent Living and is considering moving to another facility nearby. The service in the place he's in, he says, isn't great. I told him this is common; there's a huge demand for people working with the aged but they don't get paid very well. The new facility may not be that much different. Still, I told him (as I've told him repeatedly) that I am profoundly grateful he can make those choices.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:25 AM

1,472 posts, read 666,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
That doesn't strike me as restricted to the poor.

I think it's simple enough, we are seeing 70+ years (I'll just randomly pick post-WWII) of evolution in packaged/fast food and drink products towards things people want to eat. It's kind of like the excellence in design of slot machines, tv ads, pop music, cell phone applications, social media. There's a lot of brilliant people designing things that people want that aren't particularly good for them.

The tricky part is the overlap between subsidizing unhealthy habits and public funding of something like healthcare. I guess we could be like the Japanese and throw a tape measure around everybody on a yearly basis.
My health insurance provider throws a tape measure around each of us every year as part of our annual biometric exam. You aren't REQUIRED to get the exam, but you get incentive dollars toward co-pays and deductibles if you do. You also get incentives for exercise and working with a health coach. I don't mind at all because I am a very self-motivated person, but I wonder if this program is having an impact on the overall health of the insured......Americans DO need to take more responsibility for their own health and if that means the insurance company needs to prod them a bit, I think that is okay.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:33 AM

1,472 posts, read 666,715 times
Just to insert a random bit of advice....there are some great gadgets out there to help with opening jars. I own this one and also bought it for my mom when she was alive. https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...TAEX5617X75G4P. I also bought some produce keepers so fresh items could last longer. My mom had stopped buying lettuce because "it always goes bad before I finish it." She appreciated this item: https://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Pro...n%2C166&sr=1-2. It made her more willing to buy something fresh if she knew it wouldn't go to waste. For seniors who live alone, being able to open jars or have produce last a couple of extra days can be very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or