U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-02-2019, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Arizona
218 posts, read 126,179 times
Reputation: 933

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Strawman argument. Food or dumpster.
It was a worse case scenario to drive home a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I agree with a poster who said this is care issue more than hunger issue.
It's both. If the country doesn't have enough funds or won't provide the funds needed to feed it's poor, where will it get the money to provide day to day care for these same people?

 
Old 09-02-2019, 11:24 AM
 
Location: SoCal
13,999 posts, read 6,699,167 times
Reputation: 10654
Who are these poor people, are they homeless. I can eat well on $196 a month here. Yesterday I bought 8-12 pieces of drum sticks for a little about $2. I made fried chicken on my BBQ, not deep fried. That would last me at least 6 meals. I freeze my food too.
My budget is expensive because I eat a lot of fresh wild fish. But if I’m poor, canned salmon can be had for cheap, the one I bought from Sprouts should last me for at least 2 meals. No cooking is necessary. I cook rice every 2-3 days, then heat them up. If you are too lazy to make rice, buy it from a Chinese take out. There are ways to stretch your budget. Poor people are much smarter than we give them credit. It’s usually the rich here, as in not poor, discuss how hard it is for poor people to stretch the budget because they never done it. If you are poor all your life, you’ll learn quickly.
 
Old 09-02-2019, 12:49 PM
 
736 posts, read 224,421 times
Reputation: 1855
Newbie, people can not just gum their food. If you cannot chew your food properly it ends up causing stomach issues and sometimes the need for surgery. I have expensive implants on the bottom and a well fitted denture on top. Fake teeth lack the bite force needed to chew well. Even with tender steak I have to cut it up in baby size pieces. It takes me forever to eat. I have lost lots of weight since this happened 4 years ago.
 
Old 09-02-2019, 01:15 PM
 
14,475 posts, read 7,745,443 times
Reputation: 26546
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Who are these poor people, are they homeless. I can eat well on $196 a month here. Yesterday I bought 8-12 pieces of drum sticks for a little about $2. I made fried chicken on my BBQ, not deep fried. That would last me at least 6 meals. I freeze my food too.
My budget is expensive because I eat a lot of fresh wild fish. But if Iím poor, canned salmon can be had for cheap, the one I bought from Sprouts should last me for at least 2 meals. No cooking is necessary. I cook rice every 2-3 days, then heat them up. If you are too lazy to make rice, buy it from a Chinese take out. There are ways to stretch your budget. Poor people are much smarter than we give them credit. Itís usually the rich here, as in not poor, discuss how hard it is for poor people to stretch the budget because they never done it. If you are poor all your life, youíll learn quickly.

You're not disabled. You can shop for your own food. You have a kitchen. You can cook your own food. You can wash your dishes. The "insecurity" issue is a care issue, not a food cost issue.
 
Old 09-02-2019, 01:25 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,999 posts, read 6,699,167 times
Reputation: 10654
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You're not disabled. You can shop for your own food. You have a kitchen. You can cook your own food. You can wash your dishes. The "insecurity" issue is a care issue, not a food cost issue.
I agree with you, this is not a hunger issue, itís a care issue. However, with the home delivery now, I know my previous neighbors, the two doctors were ordering lots of fresh stuff from Amazon.
 
Old 09-02-2019, 01:27 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,999 posts, read 6,699,167 times
Reputation: 10654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Newbie, people can not just gum their food. If you cannot chew your food properly it ends up causing stomach issues and sometimes the need for surgery. I have expensive implants on the bottom and a well fitted denture on top. Fake teeth lack the bite force needed to chew well. Even with tender steak I have to cut it up in baby size pieces. It takes me forever to eat. I have lost lots of weight since this happened 4 years ago.
My father did. In fact he had no stomach issue, he hated soft food. I had to sneak in junk food that are not soft for him. Otherwise he would starve to death, mushy food was unappealing to him. Occasionally I took him out for Thai food near his nursing home, he was chomping on a lot of raw vegs, he loved raw vegs, not sautťed vegs or mushy peas.
 
Old 09-02-2019, 02:22 PM
 
7,102 posts, read 4,002,817 times
Reputation: 16206
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I'm all for the food banks, but they apparently didn't qualify the recipients. Ie millionaires could come and get the free food. Don't tell me that people with plenty of money will not try to get free food. I have relatives that were millionaires and got meals on wheels.

In many areas Meals on Wheels are not free. At the senior centers they cost $4 and home delivery is about the same. To get it for free you have to prove need. Many people get the home delivery because they are disabled or too feeble to shop & cook, either permanently or short term after surgery. My dad paid for it after surgery but the food was so awful that he canceled it.
 
Old 09-02-2019, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Cleverly concealed
984 posts, read 1,544,690 times
Reputation: 1006
Meals on Wheels and similar organizations, at least here, have a shortage of volunteers as well. They don't deliver seven days a week.
 
Old 09-02-2019, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
12,556 posts, read 12,738,761 times
Reputation: 20067
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Who are these poor people, are they homeless. I can eat well on $196 a month here. Yesterday I bought 8-12 pieces of drum sticks for a little about $2. I made fried chicken on my BBQ, not deep fried. That would last me at least 6 meals. I freeze my food too.
My budget is expensive because I eat a lot of fresh wild fish. But if Iím poor, canned salmon can be had for cheap, the one I bought from Sprouts should last me for at least 2 meals. No cooking is necessary. I cook rice every 2-3 days, then heat them up. If you are too lazy to make rice, buy it from a Chinese take out. There are ways to stretch your budget. Poor people are much smarter than we give them credit. Itís usually the rich here, as in not poor, discuss how hard it is for poor people to stretch the budget because they never done it. If you are poor all your life, youíll learn quickly.
How do you manage your diabetes on $196/month?
 
Old 09-02-2019, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Myrtle Creek, Oregon
12,556 posts, read 12,738,761 times
Reputation: 20067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
In many areas Meals on Wheels are not free. At the senior centers they cost $4 and home delivery is about the same. To get it for free you have to prove need. Many people get the home delivery because they are disabled or too feeble to shop & cook, either permanently or short term after surgery. My dad paid for it after surgery but the food was so awful that he canceled it.
In my area Meals On Wheels provides one meal a day, only delivers one day a week, and will not deliver outside the city limits. They charge for the service, but will accept food stamps. The catch-22 is that the one meal a day costs $90 a month more than the max SNAP benefit. There goes the electric bill.

Transportation services are limited to medical appointments. They will not take seniors grocery shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top