U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 09:53 PM

2,749 posts, read 1,026,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplehaired View Post
My daughter is a member of the working poor thank you. My grandson has health issues that she receives public assistance for. I AM a roomer in someone’s home thank you.

Any other bright ideas?

How about an apology for being so cruelly thoughtless? Sorry, that should read thoughtlessly cruel, but that can happen when one has had a stroke that affects their language processing which is why I am a roomer. There is no fun to be had laying on the floor unconscious for goodness knows how long with a head injury AFTER one has a SURPRISE!!!!!!! STROKE that has caused your now limp leg to send you into a solid immovable object with your head. YUP Double traumatic brain injury.

When people don’t think about the impact of their words in a public forum.....shame on them.
Hmm, the poster you were responding to was only trying to help by offering some ideas that were meant to possibly improve your situation. How were they to know of your issues when you never mentioned them? Non of us are mind readers, and had no idea. Your response was rude, and uncalled for. You are the one that should apologize to that poster.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplehaired View Post
TeacherTerry, sorry quoting didn’t work here.

Do you mean the 2-4yr waiting list for low income senior housing? There are a plethora of Septa & Octagenerians waiting ahead of me. Too many boomers. And if you read my reply to augiedogie, it’s not safe for me to live alone anymore.

I must live life as it is, not as I wish it to be.
You CAN change your life, at least parts of it. But it takes time. It took me 2 1/2 yrs of waiting to get into the senior apt in Colorado I lived in about 9 yrs ago. These places are for seniors, and the disabled of any age. First step is to get on the waiting list. Then you patiently wait till it's your turn. Other people like you manage to live on their own, so can you. And you can then be close to stores, healthcare, and many other things you are missing out on now.

The lists will only get bigger the longer you wait. You can research them online. Look for the Housing Authorities in the city, or county you are interested in. Less popular places have shorter waiting lists. Unless of course you like the situation you are in now. What happens if your situation changes, and you have to move out? There are many seniors that have it rough but persevere, and come out the other side better off. You can too. Don't give up.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
SNAP is for children.

It's not based on the parents not being able to buy Coca-Cola occasionally, and it doesn't stalk people or dictate what they must spend their money on.

The qualification for SNAP is that the parents are low income. Period. No matter what else they have or don't have, they are low income.

I've asked maybe 3 people in the past how they could afford an iPhone or any smartphone (I don't have one). They told me that a family member added them to a family plan, so it was really cheap per month, and the family member gave them an old phone, or because of the plan, it's able to be leased for little per month. They usually do not have landlines or new laptops; the smartphone is their household connection to the world. How they stay in touch w/family, pay bills, entertainment, etc. Not having the smartphone wouldn't solve the issue of being low income. (Since the phone replaces other things, it actually saves them money from the old days.)

My brother tried out a smartphone. He's older & not into new electronics, but gave it a try. It was a cheap brand of smartphone. I asked him how much it costs. He told me he got an AT&T plan for $30/month...and the phone was free or cheap (like $30 one time charge) because he signed up for the monthly plan. He discontinued the plan; he didn't like smartphones. AT&T didn't want the phone back, even. So he gave it to his low-income grandson; it could still be used for GPS and basic things like that, even tho it wasn't on a plan and couldn't be used for calls or texts.

Things are not always what they seem. These assistance programs (like the SNAP nutritional program for children) have their requirements. The people allowed to participate meet the criteria. That's all other citizens need to know. If they see someone committing fraud, they can report it. But judging from a grocery store line, or being resentful because of assumptions made from people wearing watches & having Smartphones, is bizarre, obviously unfair, and ignorant.
SNAP is also for low income seniors with no children.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:22 PM

13,999 posts, read 6,699,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
At any rate, nobody can buy beer with SNAP, or any other non food item, impossible. The computer program at checkout won't accept it. The non food items are sorted out automatically when you use your SNAP card. then you pay the remaining balance with the usual methods. She has some other income she buys beer with. It's that simple. I pay for my cheapest possible beer with my SS by debit card after I run my SNAP card first.
I thought somebody already responded to this topic already. I never said she used SHAP to pay for beer. Where did I say that.

Old 09-02-2019, 10:37 PM

8,745 posts, read 9,811,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
So? You put it in the budget as entertainment. Do you begrudge us once in a while having somewhat of a life?

Yes "they" do. If you get any kind of assistance you are supposed to hang your head in shame and never do anything that might be considered pleasurable. Otherwise you're just a fake, a phony and a fraud. Not to mention "stealing" from "them".

Old 09-02-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
Judging from some of the posts a lot of people didn't bother to read the article. Safety nets put in place to help those who are home bound and need food or can't afford to buy food are underfunded. They can't keep pace with the increasing number of seniors who need help, consequently, people are suffering.

This is a real problem that faces an aging population. Because someone lives in a town with ample food and resources for the poor doesn't mean the same exists in each and every town across the US. If this were true there wouldn't be a problem.

Some problems can't be fixed by buying rotisserie chickens or shopping at Aldi's.
But some of the problems can be fixed by those methods. All input here is welcomed. Thanks everyone for trying to help. It's much appreciated. Hugs.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Just to insert a random bit of advice....there are some great gadgets out there to help with opening jars. I own this one and also bought it for my mom when she was alive. https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...TAEX5617X75G4P. I also bought some produce keepers so fresh items could last longer. My mom had stopped buying lettuce because "it always goes bad before I finish it." She appreciated this item: https://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Pro...n%2C166&sr=1-2. It made her more willing to buy something fresh if she knew it wouldn't go to waste. For seniors who live alone, being able to open jars or have produce last a couple of extra days can be very helpful.

I'm finding that opening jars has become more difficult and it's annoying. Been thinking seriously of getting a 'helper'. That one looks interesting.

I used to buy those green bags to keep produce in and they worked really well but haven't seen them for a long time. Walgreen's and Walmart had them. Now I just use aluminum foil. It's amazing how long veggies last. Even lettuce. I, like your mom, have trouble using up a whole head of lettuce sometimes and the foil works great on it.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My father did. In fact he had no stomach issue, he hated soft food. I had to sneak in junk food that are not soft for him. Otherwise he would starve to death, mushy food was unappealing to him. Occasionally I took him out for Thai food near his nursing home, he was chomping on a lot of raw vegs, he loved raw vegs, not sautéed vegs or mushy peas.

My dad hated his dentures and only wore them in public, like church on Sundays. He could eat just about anything with the exception of nuts. He said the gums toughen up over time so it's not hard to do. He always loved his steak.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
When I was in graduate school at the university there, homeless people and food banks were a thing on nobody's radar (aside from one guy who looked like the 'Aqualung' album cover who hung out by the front gate). So what changed?
The closing of mental health facilities nationwide, the opioid epidemic which is insanely widespread (thanks big pharma), the prevalent use of speed, and other hard drugs. Plus it is said that a good portion of our citizens are only a couple paychecks away from being homeless. Sprinkle that with a liberal dose of hopelessness gives us what we have today. In many areas the hands of the police are tied by the city councils. Please watch this video when you get a chance. It's called "Seattle is Dying", excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi...has_verified=1

--------------------------------------------------

Old 09-02-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
To be fair, I didn't start cooking till I was in my mid-50s and on food stamps. I finally got tired of my food stamps running out the 3rd week of every month and decided to do something about making that food last. I discovered a couple of things: 1) cooking your own food does make it go much further 2) I have far less garbage and way more dishes when I cook and 3) I really hate cooking and doing dishes.

Although, I can finally make oyster sauce beef and anything teriyaki taste a lot better than take out. So there's that.

When I was getting state disability, they put that on the EBT card. So I would pay for my food with EBT, then use the card again to pay for things like toilet paper and kleenex. You'd be amazed at how many people stopped to say I shouldn't be able to buy those things on food stamps. I had to explain to them that I was paying for it with disability income which was on the same card.

--------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of food banks depend on community donations. I volunteered at a food bank in a sort of "rich"town and it was amazing all the stuff they had. Fruits, vegetables, meat, bread, dairy, even cookies and cakes, plus a lot of stuff donated from a large local grocery store.

In the blue collar town I live in now, there are 3 food banks. You are allowed to register at one and only use that one. You won't be able to get food at the other food banks.

Not only that, but the food banks in this area all register your address as well, so when I tried to go another town a little further away, I was told it was only for those residents of that town and I needed to use the food banks in my town.

Problem is, the town I currently live in is so poor, there's practically no food donated to the food banks at all. They have a ton of canned food, some soft potatoes, and maybe some bread. Otherwise, there's no dairy, no vegetables, no fruits, no meat, and no sweets at all. And I hear the other two food banks are even worse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

There are so many variables when it comes to seniors going hungry, it's hard to account for them all. There may be a senior who has a hard time opening jars and packages (even I have a hard time with a lot of packages). Some seniors might live in a motel where they're not allowed to have a hot plate or do any cooking. Some seniors might live out in rural areas where getting to the store is a feat in itself (I'm going to be moving out to a rural area where my nearest grocery stores are 12 miles away). Some seniors live in food deserts. Some seniors live in their own house because it's paid for, but they can't afford the utilities if they pay the taxes. So they're living without electricity and sometimes even water.

A senior might need a car to get to a store, but maybe he can't afford one or shouldn't be driving one. Seniors may not remember how to cook or when to cook. And some seniors need special diets for diabetes or acid reflux. Ordering food to be delivered might mean they have to order a complete meal, half of which they won't or can't eat.

Then there are the physical problems of dental and eye care. If a senior needs to be able to read recipes and see the temps on stove and oven dials, and he has cataracts that prevent that, he's not going to be cooking much. Medicare doesn't cover eye exams and I have the bill sitting on my desk to prove that. Medicare also doesn't cover dental care. Many seniors have dental problems that can prevent them from eating. Some seniors need dentures and can't afford those, either.

The paperwork alone to get food stamps and subsidized housing is daunting. On Tuesday, I have to go into the housing authority here and requalify for my housing. Before I can do that, I need to see if the bank will print me out a statement for last month verifying my income. I don't have a printer at home and if the bank refuses to print anything out, I'll be driving 8 miles to Kinko's and spending money to rent a computer and pay for a printout there. Can you see someone who's 75 or 80 years old doing that?

Next week I also have to be requalified for the $15 in food stamps I get every month. That will mean filling out more forms and waiting at Social Services for several hours (think DMV lines+). There are people here who think you just show up and get showered with all this "free" stuff. I'd give a lot to drag them along with me and let them see the hoops I have to jump through to get food and shelter.

To expect someone who is 80 or 90 years old to do these things is ridiculous. Even someone who is younger and maybe has medical issues or mobility issues, doing this can be beyond their capabilities. And a lot of older people are so proud, too. Asking for these services is a blow to them. Asking for help to ask for these services is something many of them won't do.

It's not a single-solution-fits-all problem. That's why it's up to us in the community to keep an eye on our elderly neighbors who have no one else and make sure they're doing OK. Is it an imposition? Sure, but maybe somewhere someone is keeping an eye on your parents in case they need help and don't want to bother you. It's just the decent thing to do.

All my life I've enjoyed cooking, until the last couple of years and now I'm tired of it. The way you do things now is the way I've done it for years when I was working. I have never been a fast food/take out fan. Well, maybe pizza or Chinese once in a blue moon but that's it. I wish I could get my love of cooking back but I don't eat that much anymore, I'm tired of coming up with things to cook and bored with most of the things I do cook. I need a COOK! lol

I've seen people get the 'evil eye' when using their EBT card for things like toilet paper and household items because people don't know that the card also has other cash benefits on it. As a cashier I could tell who did and didn't get both. The balances of both show on the receipt too. Very few get both.

What you said about just applying for help is so true. The hoops you jump through, the fact that they even want to know how much money you have in your wallet at the interview, the thorough raking of your finances, etc. etc.. Then within days they send you another packet to fill out and want you to send back a pile of info. Copies of your income, mortgage/rent, bank account, utility bills, etc. etc.. And answer a lot of citizenship questions, which is okay by me but they already have that info.. And no, I can't see most elderly people being able to do this on their own. Although my mom got SNAP for a couple of years until she died at age 87 and she took care of everything herself.

Last edited by AZDesertBrat; 09-02-2019 at 11:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or