U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 11:38 PM

2,749 posts, read 1,026,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think what they're saying is that if she has money for beer, she doesn't need SNAP.

As someone pointed out already, her drinking a beer does not mean she bought the beer.
Thanks, I had already posted that before I came to the "hideous" post. I'm working my way through this very long thread from one end to the other. I aim to eventually finish, if I live long enough.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:47 PM

2,749 posts, read 1,026,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Aldi is very low cost, but I don't consider them a full service grocer.

There is no butcher on site. All the meat is prepackaged from elsewhere. Some of their stuff is good - occasionally they'll have something like berries half off the mainline grocers. The stores are much smaller than something like Kroger and the middle is almost always various household goods.

The rural areas here have Food City, a regional chain, and that's really it. Some have a Walmart.
Yeah, I wasn't that impressed with it. It had an odd assortment of products. And the stuff in the middle was not organized in a logical manner, kind of mixed up/thrown together. Maybe if I had gone more often I would have gotten the hang of it. But it was kind of fun for a change, something different. I know in Wally World that I can get just about everything on my list, and don't have to go traipsing around to different stores. With Aldi I would have to make another stop elsewhere. But they seem to be popular.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:52 PM

8,745 posts, read 9,811,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
In my area Meals On Wheels provides one meal a day, only delivers one day a week, and will not deliver outside the city limits. They charge for the service, but will accept food stamps. The catch-22 is that the one meal a day costs $90 a month more than the max SNAP benefit. There goes the electric bill.

Transportation services are limited to medical appointments. They will not take seniors grocery shopping.

Here it's one meal a day, five days a week and $3 day. But we are a bigger town than you are and, no doubt, way more demand for it.

We have so many independent and assisted living places here there is always transportation for them. We also have a city bus that will do door to door pickup for about $1 round trip. It isn't really a bus but a BIG van type vehicle and they seem to stay pretty busy. I know they go to Walmart a lot. lol

Old 09-03-2019, 06:57 AM

24,241 posts, read 18,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Yeah, I wasn't that impressed with it. It had an odd assortment of products. And the stuff in the middle was not organized in a logical manner, kind of mixed up/thrown together. Maybe if I had gone more often I would have gotten the hang of it. But it was kind of fun for a change, something different. I know in Wally World that I can get just about everything on my list, and don't have to go traipsing around to different stores. With Aldi I would have to make another stop elsewhere. But they seem to be popular.
Some of their stuff is really good. Some of the stuff I've had from there is awful. Like you said, you end up having to stop somewhere else. There is one on my way back from Walmart and Sam's Club, and I might hit it up on occasion - no guarantees.

Overall, I don't find it much cheaper than Walmart, much less bulk items at Sam's.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:38 AM

30,032 posts, read 35,174,797 times
Wow, just wow. I started this thread and it seemed like it was destined to sit and die a fairly quick death. Been away from the forum and just got back in and wow 27 pages. Anxious to read the comments and discussion.

On a more somber note about poverty and the elderly. The national media before hurricanes pay little attention to the poor, especially those living near coastal areas. They are the ones who will suffer most along with the others of limited means. They don't evacuate because of foolishness they usually can't afford to evacuate for multiple reasons including lack of transportation or not being able to fill the tank up if it is just before pay day or the first of the month.

Whether you pray or not please have the comfort of those folks in mind as the hurricanes move through.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
Judging from some of the posts a lot of people didn't bother to read the article. Safety nets put in place to help those who are home bound and need food or can't afford to buy food are underfunded. They can't keep pace with the increasing number of seniors who need help, consequently, people are suffering.

This is a real problem that faces an aging population. Because someone lives in a town with ample food and resources for the poor doesn't mean the same exists in each and every town across the US. If this were true there wouldn't be a problem.

Some problems can't be fixed by buying rotisserie chickens or shopping at Aldi's.
Thank you, a major focus of the article was that the hunger issue is higher in the South and South West and that it is often a result of a lack of programs and underfunding of programs.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
This is such a stereotype. Expensive watches? Next time you are in a crowd, look around and see how few people even wear watches. People can have things they bought when times were better for them, and then a layoff or illness came along and, boom, their income is gone. Is anyone really going to suggest they sell that Apple phone they bought 3 years ago for the little it would bring them? How will they ever find a job, then? Unless you know the details, are you really in a position to judge?
I always wondered how people knew strangers were poor and or on social welfare. Perhaps the people aren't and it is just a stereotype application of what people see as being a welfare recipient in public.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:25 AM

10,779 posts, read 5,074,716 times
Quote:
Food stamps don't pay much. You'd have to really scrimp as a single person on food stamps. My girlfriend gets them - I think it's $193/month for her. That's not a lot to go on for food.
After my stepfather died, my mother was living on $1300 a month. She had a $300 a month Medicare supplement plan and another $70 a month for her pharmacy plan. Plus she had all the expenses that come with a 1900 sq. ft. home with a pool in Florida. Eventually she took out a reverse mortgage because she didn't want to leave the house she had lived in for 30 years. She applied for food stamps and received exactly $15 a month because she owned a home.

Thankfully she had family to help her, not all seniors are that fortunate.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:35 AM

442 posts, read 176,081 times
Quote:
Food stamps don't pay much. You'd have to really scrimp as a single person on food stamps. My girlfriend gets them - I think it's $193/month for her. That's not a lot to go on for food.
That is a fairly good amount of money! Free???
That is $48.25 a week, or $6.69 a day.

I would reserve that amount for the main meals everyday.
For example, a broasted chicken at Costco costs $5.00. That would last me three to four days.
The first day: Chicken breast with mayo, celery and onions on bread for lunch. Dinner would be chicken breast and veggies. Second day would be tacos on a "bed" of lettuce or tortilla for dinner. For lunch, a salad with chicken pieces. The third day would be chicken enchiladas for dinner. The fourth day would be chicken soup with noodles, boiling the chicken bones. The meat falls right off. You get the idea. A dozen eggs are about $1.00, oatmeal from breakfast is a cheap and healthy. If you run out of money for meats, go vegetarian for a few days.

Don't buy a lot, just enough for her meals. Don't let food go to waste. Plan carefully.
You can shop at the markdown section of the produce and bakery department. Sometimes, the markdown is more than 50%. Sometimes a loaf of premium quality bread is marked down to $1.00.
She won't have much money to make meals for you two together, so maybe you can take her out to a restaurant once week, or you can make the two of you meals a couple times a week at home.
At any rate, it isn't much, but I would be appreciative for that. She can't afford rib eye steaks, that is for sure.

The idea is not to need government assistance in the first place. Hopefully she can get a job so that she can afford to buy more food.

Also, there are the churches that will assist. Find out who gives out free food and what days to go.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:40 AM

442 posts, read 176,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
That's mostly true. Rotisserie chickens can be bought with EBT/SNAP nowadays, provided that they're cold. In which case, $10 buys 4 simple but adequate meals. While I don't live on EBT/SNAP now, I make my weekday lunches that way. So...

rotisserie chicken - $5
bag of rice - $1
bag of frozen broccoli - $2
packet of cheese sauce - $1
barbecue sauce - $1
salt and pepper - already have

You can make a variety of meals from those ingredients alone. You can combine them all into a casserole. Or you can eat chicken, rice, and broccoli with cheese separately. Or anything in-between.

That said, elderly persons going hungry is very, very wrong. Especially considering that we as a society waste nearly 40% of our food. I volunteer periodically at food banks, knowing that some of their food goes to the people who need it.
You are "right on."
People can make inexpensive and fairly healthy meals.
I primarily shop at a warehouse type of grocery store where I can buy small amounts of foods in bins. I pay by the pound. For example, I can buy 8 oz of rice, or 8 oz of oatmeal.
There are a lot ore options for the elderly than people think. I can stop by at most moderate to large senior centers in most cities and find cheap lunches for $3.00 more or less. Sometimes the cities give out free food four times a year, especially for Thanksgiving. The churches give out food, sometimes once a week on a certain day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or