U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 10:47 AM

442 posts, read 176,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
After my stepfather died, my mother was living on $1300 a month. She had a $300 a month Medicare supplement plan and another $70 a month for her pharmacy plan. Plus she had all the expenses that come with a 1900 sq. ft. home with a pool in Florida. Eventually she took out a reverse mortgage because she didn't want to leave the house she had lived in for 30 years. She applied for food stamps and received exactly $15 a month because she owned a home.

Thankfully she had family to help her, not all seniors are that fortunate.
This isn't for everyone, but I can see myself living life with elderly female roommates. They can also pay rent. I would first try one and see if it works out.

Or, I could rent my 1900 sq ft house with a pool in Florida and rent a room elsewhere. This way, I would get income. I don't need to live in a 1900 sq ft house if I can no longer afford it.

It is very commendable that your mother is somehow finding a way.
There are other options short of selling the house.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:12 AM

24,241 posts, read 18,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
That is a fairly good amount of money! Free???
That is $48.25 a week, or $6.69 a day.

I would reserve that amount for the main meals everyday.
For example, a broasted chicken at Costco costs $5.00. That would last me three to four days.
The first day: Chicken breast with mayo, celery and onions on bread for lunch. Dinner would be chicken breast and veggies. Second day would be tacos on a "bed" of lettuce or tortilla for dinner. For lunch, a salad with chicken pieces. The third day would be chicken enchiladas for dinner. The fourth day would be chicken soup with noodles, boiling the chicken bones. The meat falls right off. You get the idea. A dozen eggs are about $1.00, oatmeal from breakfast is a cheap and healthy. If you run out of money for meats, go vegetarian for a few days.

Don't buy a lot, just enough for her meals. Don't let food go to waste. Plan carefully.
You can shop at the markdown section of the produce and bakery department. Sometimes, the markdown is more than 50%. Sometimes a loaf of premium quality bread is marked down to $1.00.
She won't have much money to make meals for you two together, so maybe you can take her out to a restaurant once week, or you can make the two of you meals a couple times a week at home.
At any rate, it isn't much, but I would be appreciative for that. She can't afford rib eye steaks, that is for sure.

The idea is not to need government assistance in the first place. Hopefully she can get a job so that she can afford to buy more food.

Also, there are the churches that will assist. Find out who gives out free food and what days to go.
She has lupus. She needs to healthier. Instead, the food stamps are for her junk food basically and she knows either me or her family/friends will buy the rest

Old 09-03-2019, 11:26 AM

13,998 posts, read 6,699,167 times
Quote:

For example, a broasted chicken at Costco costs $5.00. That would last me three to four days.
The first day: Chicken breast with mayo, celery and onions on bread for lunch. Dinner would be chicken breast and veggies. Second day would be tacos on a "bed" of lettuce or tortilla for dinner. For lunch, a salad with chicken pieces. The third day would be chicken enchiladas for dinner. The fourth day would be chicken soup with noodles, boiling the chicken bones. The meat falls right off. You get the idea. A dozen eggs are about $1.00, oatmeal from breakfast is a cheap and healthy. If you run out of money for meats, go vegetarian for a few days.

Don't buy a lot, just enough for her meals. Don't let food go to waste. Plan carefully.
You can shop at the markdown section of the produce and bakery department. Sometimes, the markdown is more than 50%. Sometimes a loaf of premium quality bread is marked down to $1.00.
She won't have much money to make meals for you two together, so maybe you can take her out to a restaurant once week, or you can make the two of you meals a couple times a week at home.
At any rate, it isn't much, but I would be appreciative for that. She can't afford rib eye steaks, that is for sure.

The idea is not to need government assistance in the first place. Hopefully she can get a job so that she can afford to buy more food.

Also, there are the churches that will assist. Find out who gives out free food and what days to go.
I’m tempted to start a cost diary to see if I can survive on $193 a month. You can buy bananas for 2lbs for a dollar. Have them with cheese. That’s what I eat at night when I don’t feel like cooking. Green onions is 10 for $1. Oranges here in season is like 5 for $1. Eat in season. I paid $11 for 7 nice and big melons. Note, I don’t eat a lot of processed food, cheese is one exception.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:00 PM

5,558 posts, read 2,850,808 times
Quote:

Un, I hate to tell you this, but if that broasted chicken is hot, you can't buy it with food stamps. No hot foods ca be bought with food stamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Iím tempted to start a cost diary to see if I can survive on $193 a month. You can buy bananas for 2lbs for a dollar. Have them with cheese. Thatís what I eat at night when I donít feel like cooking. Green onions is 10 for $1. Oranges here in season is like 5 for $1. Eat in season. I paid $11 for 7 nice and big melons. Note, I donít eat a lot of processed food, cheese is one exception.
Let us know how you do. It's a challenge. When I started cooking, practically half my food stamps that month went for spices. I didn't know what to buy, so I bought everything and I didn't know there were cheap spices to be had. That was a brutal month.

But there are tons of recipes online and I like to watch the Chef John videos - he usually has good things to eat and you can sub out the more expensive things. Good luck!

Old 09-03-2019, 12:20 PM

92 posts, read 15,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
After my stepfather died, my mother was living on $1300 a month. She had a $300 a month Medicare supplement plan and another $70 a month for her pharmacy plan. Plus she had all the expenses that come with a 1900 sq. ft. home with a pool in Florida. Eventually she took out a reverse mortgage because she didn't want to leave the house she had lived in for 30 years. She applied for food stamps and received exactly $15 a month because she owned a home.

Thankfully she had family to help her, not all seniors are that fortunate.
Just curious but how long ago was this?

Old 09-03-2019, 12:21 PM

10,779 posts, read 5,074,716 times
Quote:
This isn't for everyone, but I can see myself living life with elderly female roommates. They can also pay rent. I would first try one and see if it works out.

Or, I could rent my 1900 sq ft house with a pool in Florida and rent a room elsewhere. This way, I would get income. I don't need to live in a 1900 sq ft house if I can no longer afford it.

It is very commendable that your mother is somehow finding a way.
There are other options short of selling the house.
She applied for the food stamps around a year ago. As for the house, she finally gave up and sold it in April. She passed away 2 months later. She always said she was going to get a roommate but she was not the kind of person that was easy to live with.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:26 PM

6,540 posts, read 5,228,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Un, I hate to tell you this, but if that broasted chicken is hot, you can't buy it with food stamps. No hot foods ca be bought with food stamps.

Let us know how you do. It's a challenge. When I started cooking, practically half my food stamps that month went for spices. I didn't know what to buy, so I bought everything and I didn't know there were cheap spices to be had. That was a brutal month.

But there are tons of recipes online and I like to watch the Chef John videos - he usually has good things to eat and you can sub out the more expensive things. Good luck!
For instance, you cannot buy a hot rotisserie chicken, fresh out of the rotisserie. But once they put that rotisserie chicken into the cold display case, its eligible to be purchased on food stamps.

from NPR

Old 09-03-2019, 01:34 PM

218 posts, read 126,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
For instance, you cannot buy a hot rotisserie chicken, fresh out of the rotisserie. But once they put that rotisserie chicken into the cold display case, its eligible to be purchased on food stamps.

from NPR
Sometimes rules and regulations make no sense, this is one of them.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:42 PM

9,323 posts, read 9,408,583 times
Food bank is a great resource for the poor elderly in our community. It is held Fridays at the local senior center. Its my observation that the local stores are very generous and often part with items they could hold onto for a longer time.

The greatest difficulty is among of some of the elderly who participate in food bank. Its very difficult to get many to follow rules. Rules are set up to allow all the elderly who appear at food bank to get an equal chance at taking what is available. Yet, some some of the seniors ignore rules and make it difficult to run food bank. Some individuals ignore the numbers they are handed to guarantee equal treatment and simply walk up when they feel like it. Others, take far more than they should. Some show up with coolers to grab as much meat as they can. Rules have now been made to prevent this sort of thing. Frankly, the cheating that I'm aware of is downright embarrassing. Its the behavior I would expect out of seven year olds, not seventy year olds.

My greatest concern though is among those elderly who are too infirm to come to food bank. I worry about the ones that are homebound. Meals on wheels are delivered to them, but it may not be enough.

Food insecurity is not a huge problem, IMO. However, it does exist among some sections of the elderly.

No one should go hungry in as rich a country as America.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:47 PM

218 posts, read 126,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
We have so many independent and assisted living places here there is always transportation for them. We also have a city bus that will do door to door pickup for about $1 round trip. It isn't really a bus but a BIG van type vehicle and they seem to stay pretty busy. I know they go to Walmart a lot. lol
I live in the same area. When I first moved here I was surprised to see there's bus service from Cottonwood to Sedona, all over Cottonwood etc. The town is bigger than some but I think it's only 12,000 people give or take? I've lived in towns with much larger populations that didn't offer the same service. Besides helping the elderly it also benefits working people who don't own cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or