U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 11:30 PM

13,998 posts, read 6,699,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Food stamps don't pay much. You'd have to really scrimp as a single person on food stamps. My girlfriend gets them - I think it's $193/month for her. That's not a lot to go on for food.
My daughter’s roommate in college was on snap and she went out drinking, I saw beer in her hand on her Instagram often.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:47 AM

12,556 posts, read 12,738,761 times
I have a friend who is food insecure. He owns his own home. It's a run down shack with the floor falling out of the bathroom and needs a roof, but he doesn't pay rent, so he gets $72/month food stamps. He lives on $600/month SS. He is diabetic and has colon cancer. He can't afford a diabetic diet, since starches like rice and potatoes are the cheapest thing he can eat. He doesn't drive, so depends on friends to give him a ride to the nearest food pantry, 14 miles away. Sometimes it doesn't happen. He is slowly starving to death.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:19 AM

39,090 posts, read 15,358,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I have a friend who is food insecure. He owns his own home. It's a run down shack with the floor falling out of the bathroom and needs a roof, but he doesn't pay rent, so he gets $72/month food stamps. He lives on $600/month SS. He is diabetic and has colon cancer. He can't afford a diabetic diet, since starches like rice and potatoes are the cheapest thing he can eat. He doesn't drive, so depends on friends to give him a ride to the nearest food pantry, 14 miles away. Sometimes it doesn't happen. He is slowly starving to death.
Lot of older people in that same boat.

For whatever reasons, chronic mental health issues, cognitive limitations, bad luck, ... they were never able to get situated in life and aging didn't improve matters any.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:27 AM

39,090 posts, read 15,358,684 times
Quote:
Food stamps don't pay much. You'd have to really scrimp as a single person on food stamps. My girlfriend gets them - I think it's $193/month for her. That's not a lot to go on for food.
$6/day for food is doable. There are websites devoted to this. You eat a lot of eggs, beans and rice, ... and cook a lot, but plenty of people do it.

The problem for many older people is that they don't cook. They reheat. They might cook an egg, but they often aren't cooking soup, or casseroles, or boiling up a pot of beans.

They aren' chopping vegetables. They are opening cans.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:34 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,452,593 times
Quote:
It's easy to forget the hardship out there if you live in an affluent area or are pretty affluent yourself, as are many people here.
absolutely

Old 08-29-2019, 05:38 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,452,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
$6/day for food is doable. There are websites devoted to this. You eat a lot of eggs, beans and rice, ... and cook a lot, but plenty of people do it.

The problem for many older people is that they don't cook. They reheat. They might cook an egg, but they often aren't cooking soup, or casseroles, or boiling up a pot of beans.

They aren' chopping vegetables. They are opening cans.
hummm not sure I agree.

1) websites 'devoted" to this? many seniors who are in a bad way will not have access to a "website". what? if you can't afford food do you seriously think they are going to be web surfing at home on a computer?

2) I disagree with seniors not being able to cook. sorry they are usually the ones who can cook, at least the ones I know. they did not grow up with a microwave nor prepackaged food. Not one of my senior relatives buys fast prepackage meals. now they will eat soup only because some times making home made soup is not easy.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:13 AM

6,540 posts, read 5,228,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
I would never ask my adult children for food. Fortunately, it will never be necessary.
You shouldn't have to ask. They should make sure you have what you need willingly.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:13 AM

6,016 posts, read 4,987,925 times
Quote:
It's not intended to be their entire food budget, but to supplement that budget.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:17 AM

6,540 posts, read 5,228,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
There are many opportunities in my local community for help for hungry seniors, but I am also aware of people who qualify for them who refuse to out of pride/shame. I don't know how to solve that.
One thing i did for a friend was to take her to the food bank. I got in line with her, we both got our items and then i took her home. I gave her the meat items from my portion. She was thrilled.

This last week she went on her own and took another friend. It has really helped her. She is disabled and survives on SSDI. Lives in public housing.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:58 AM

9,064 posts, read 7,873,965 times
I'm all for the food banks, but they apparently didn't qualify the recipients. Ie millionaires could come and get the free food. Don't tell me that people with plenty of money will not try to get free food. I have relatives that were millionaires and got meals on wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or