U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 03:16 PM

8,745 posts, read 9,811,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
My MIL worked at a food bank and judging by the items she brought home, I’d never go there for free food. Month-old pies, bagged salad turning into slime, that sort of thing. I’m a bear about food safety and throw out anything more than five days old.

That sounds like one sorry food bank. I've been in the ones here with my mom and friends and never seen anything like that. The only complaint I ever had with one was her church. They picked the items and delivered it to her home but they sent her the craziest things and weird amounts. Once sent her 10# of chicken legs...for one little ol' lady. I used my food sealer and kept them in the freezer for her. They would send her a huge amount of Kale and she hated the stuff. Half a ton of fresh melons. On top of that they'd toss in a bunch of junk food full of salt or sugar, which she didn't need. They did send her good stuff too but I had to talk to them twice to get them to cut down on some stuff.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:21 PM

1,472 posts, read 666,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I'm the transportation for my 79 y/o uncle who went bust in the financial collapse a decade ago. He's living on next to nothing, but gets ~$150 month ($5/d) from the fed food stamps program.

6 oz of ground beef (~$1) 2 eggs (~$0.15) a potato (~$0.20) and a couple slices of bread (~$0.10) gives him all the protein and most of the vits & mins he needs. The other $3.55 can go to DingDongs or YoHos or whatever he wants to fill in the calorie requirement.(Check your favorite nutrition site if you don't believe me.)

No need for anyone in this country to go undernourished. Loneliness is a big problem tho. We need more family and less govt. Maybe church youth groups, Scouts and 4H organizations could get involved. (Even Seinfeld, Elaine & George once volunteered to befriend the elderly.)

BTW- I'm trying to develop a strain of grape to make a wine that will go well with cat food & crackers. The elderly shouldn't have to miss out on the finer things in life.
"We need more family" is not a solution to a senior citizen's loneliness problem. We are in a very mobile society and family often is very far away. I only have one child who is pursuing her career on the opposite coast....not sure how I will get "more family" in my old age. The community groups you mention already do good work with the elderly, but it isn't often the sustained support they need. The Meals on Wheels program not only provides food, but caring human contact to the elderly. It is a government program that costs tax dollars, but if you look at the big picture, it allows the elderly to stay in their own homes vs. ending up in hospitals or nursing homes, which are more expensive in the long-run. And, BTW, a diet of ground beef, eggs, potatoes and bread is a horrible diet.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:24 PM

4,828 posts, read 2,628,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
There are plenty of older people without family to look out for them. Either they didn't create a family or become estranged from the family they had.
And that number will only grow, in my opinion, based on readings of so many forum posts on C-D where young and middle-aged people egg each other on that "you need to live your own life, don't bother with your parents," etc.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:43 PM

8,745 posts, read 9,811,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
So far this month I've spent $228.78 on groceries and that includes cat food and her treats. It also includes some spices I had run out of, so that's not a normal month. I just went shopping yesterday so there won't be any more monies spent on food this month.

I do quite a bit in the crock pot and end up freezing a lot of that so I'm never out of food. I don't get food stamps because I receive too much in social security. Well,I could get $17 or some such, but I couldn't have an emergency fund. No thanks to that notion.

So $193 in food stamps would be more than enough for me. But, out of necessity I've relearned the frugal ways of my youth. I suppose that helps a lot.

When I was working I was spending about $200 mo. and that included pet stuff, household items, all the non-food items. I do a big shop once a month and always have so only have to replace milk, bread, some fresh veggies. I hate shopping really and I keep it cheap. I'm a big fan of order online/pickup at the store.

I have two crockpots and use them a lot. Like you I will freeze some for later when I'm feeling lazy or just too tired to mess with cooking.

Yes, my healthy emergency fund isn't as healthy anymore. Now I get to worry about the "what ifs". It wasn't spent to meet their requirements, believe me, but since it turned out that way I thought I might as well go for the EBT.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:52 PM

14,475 posts, read 7,745,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I received $194 a month on food stamps. Yes, it's easy to cook IF you have the ability to stand and prepare food and cook it. Many seniors have problems standing for long periods of time and that makes preparing and cooking food extremely difficult. Not to mention that I got the majority of my recipes off the internet. Many older people don't have a computer, can't afford internet access or can use a computer even if they could. If they had money for that, they'd be buying food.

The other thing you have to take into account is gathering together all the ingredients to cook food. Since you might use a bag of flour or rice all through the month, then you have to buy it when the food stamps are put on the card. If you have to shop for some ingredients one day and more ingredients the next day and more the day after, you're not going to be cooking much and will eventually be hungry until you have everything you need to cook with. What this means is the majority, if not all, of your grocery purchases will be made at the beginning of the month.

When I would shop, I'd sometimes be bringing home 20 bags of groceries for the month. Tell me how a senior who may not be able to stand or walk for long and without a car, is going to be able to get that many groceries home and unloaded into his kitchen.

On top of everything else, I also traveled to different stores to shop. At one time, I could visit up to nine stores to follow their sales and do all my shopping in five to six hours. A senior who can only walk for half an hour or who has no variety of stores to shop at or is limited to just one store is going to find it very difficult to feed himself on that $194 a month.

You can cook on a tabletop hot plate sitting in a wheelchair. People actually cooked meals before the internet existed. In my zip code, I can get groceries delivered. I have Peapod from Stop & Shop which is kind of expensive. Aldi is now delivering and that's inexpensive with a $5.99 delivery fee.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:14 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,711,351 times
Wow, just wow.

This thread has run the gammut.

Thise of you who have NEVER gone hungry, NEVER been homeless, or NEVER lived in a dump have NO RIGHT to say "its their fault ".
When manufacturing closed up in the 80s here, this area went to low minimum wage 'service jobs'. Only nurses (RN ) doctors or lawyers or managers of the service establishments maje any money. The hospitals can only hite so many nurses, and by far not everyone is cut out fir being a dr.
Why are WE here? Because our 91 yo dementia father and 85 yo semi healthy father are here, we consider it our duty to look after them. My OH is an only child, and while i do have a living sibling that sib is in prison for life. Neither do I, or my OH separately or together have children, so its the end of the line fir our families.

When i was healthy in my 20s i worked two full time jobs and attended college for 2 semesters (3As, 1B each semester), and i saved $75 k for retirement and had an efund and played hard too. I "did all the right things ".
But when i started into my 30s ( after moving back here "home ", very serious medical issues became a big issue. I had 10 surgeries in 6 years, spent 8 or 12 rollibg months in the hospital and blew through my retirement savings for both living expenses and medical expenses. I actually ended up homeless living under a bridge next to the RR tracks. ( hard to keep a job when you are out 8 months if the year. The longest stay was 3mos, 18 days. I got poked prodded and tested to death, all to cone up with 2 surgeries to "fix things".
Ive had my stomach and esophagus sewn together to prevent frequently involuntary vomiting (sonetimes with blood) [ its called a Nissan Fundoplycation, look it up]., it also took them 5 years to determine my gallbladder had to come out. Every time id eat id vomit due to bile secretions from the gallbladder. I was down to 112 pounds! ( im male).

To date ive had 21 surgeries and will face at least 2 more in the future from the neurosurgeon as we continue to fuse my spine ( neck already partially fused).

Ive had: no food, food bank food, free meals at churches, foodstamps and been able to buy my food. When i had stamps ( now EBT [electronic Benefits Transfer]), i got a whoke $120/month. ($4/ DAY), BUT that WAS SONE years ago. This was after i was rehomed.

While I was homeless, no one would hire me. Ti get welfare, i had to have an address to get mail at. Catch 22!!! I finally asked a friends live-on-property landlord if i coukd get mail at the address, and finally, after 5 tries got expedited benefits due to homelessness!! I volunteered at a pantry while homeless and awaiting my benefits just so i could get extra food that i could select. Somehow i had a can opener and silverware and ate many Cold cans of veggies and soup and stuff. No way to cook!!!
Sone Pantries have fresher in-date food, others get the expiring or expired foods cast offs from grocery stores, who get a tax write off instead of loss for trash, and it CAN be a mess.

I knew a lady who git meals on wheels ( blind and elderly), $3/,meal, $15/week, $60/month, some people dont have that much more for food budget. Its now $5/day for one meal tray, once a day. PB&J and chips for the snow days and a weekend meal delivered once a week. Its pretty bland food.

We wont have a lavish retirement, but shoukd do ok. The crucial point will come when daily living expenses meet or exceed our retirement income as we wont have but about a half mil for savings, and that can go quickly. Especially for things like vehicle and expenses, weve already foubd we will be too high an income fir senior incone based housing in the cheap area we will retire to. So itll have to be renting or buying ( we can cash in our house here and go cheaper there). But when there is only ONE of us, monthly income will NOT COVER expenses! Abd .5 mil can go quickly...my $90k savings in the 80s went very quick in the early 90s. Granted .5 mil is more than $100k, but it costs o more to live now than then.

When one of us is left, or even elderly us as a couple could face problems in the future. I certainly don't want to be 95 and peeing and pooping myself in a nursing home!!

Pride...we are all taught to 'pull our own weight', to " pull ourselves up by our bootstraps', etc, and that causes pride. Trust me, i SWALLOWED A WHOLE LOTTA PRIDE when i went to apply ( all five times getting denied 4 times) for welfare!!!! But starving to death, cold and hungry made SOME pride go away fir a momentary lapse of reason.

That did nothing good for my mental disabilities and caused 2 of 3 serious suicide attempts.

Dont know but the "haves" do not need to shame the elderly as their pride is already hurt, why add insult to injury,? What if the tables were reversed?

And any "have" who thinks it cant happen to them, well we are all just one 1929 stock crash/bank run/great depression away from losing everything. Whose goona buy that $950,k house then? Do you REALLY think the govt can bail out ALL the banks? Heck the recent bank scare put that fear into us..." to big to fail" my butt.

So dont sit high and might, for tye bigger they are the harder they fall.

In the meantime, if you are of means and have an elderly relative or know an elderly senior, find out if they need a gentle helping hand.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:01 PM

3,766 posts, read 1,939,519 times
I think it is not just being able to afford food. It is being able to get out and shop for it, and on-line services like Instacart or Amazon Prime are expensive.

There are days I would just have toast rather than go out and shop for food. Hate it!!

Old 08-29-2019, 08:11 PM

6,540 posts, read 5,228,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I think it is not just being able to afford food. It is being able to get out and shop for it, and on-line services like Instacart or Amazon Prime are expensive.

There are days I would just have toast rather than go out and shop for food. Hate it!!
I buy my ice cream from the Schwan's guy. I don't know if they deliver everywhere, but he makes the rounds weekly. Has all kinds of food - meats, veggies, full skillet meals, pasta, breads, and of course ice cream. It is all frozen.

And they take EBT.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:12 PM

6,540 posts, read 5,228,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
That sounds like one sorry food bank. I've been in the ones here with my mom and friends and never seen anything like that. The only complaint I ever had with one was her church. They picked the items and delivered it to her home but they sent her the craziest things and weird amounts. Once sent her 10# of chicken legs...for one little ol' lady. I used my food sealer and kept them in the freezer for her. They would send her a huge amount of Kale and she hated the stuff. Half a ton of fresh melons. On top of that they'd toss in a bunch of junk food full of salt or sugar, which she didn't need. They did send her good stuff too but I had to talk to them twice to get them to cut down on some stuff.
yea sounds bad

Sure we get the occasional rotten onion, but most of the stuff we hand out is in good shape.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:00 PM

7,446 posts, read 4,286,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
It's also knowing how to cook. Many older men grew up in the era when women did all the kitchen work; when their wife passes away, they're stuck. Cooking can be learned, of course, but where are these gentlemen going to turn to learn the needed skills? Cooking's one of those things best learned directly from someone who already knows the basics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or