U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 11:46 PM

5,439 posts, read 3,523,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post

I think it is not just being able to afford food. It is being able to get out and shop for it, and on-line services like Instacart or Amazon Prime are expensive.

There are days I would just have toast rather than go out and shop for food. Hate it!!
If you have Shipt.com covering Target (the Targets which contain a grocery store) and it also covers some other grocery stores in your area, it's only $8.25 per month which covers unlimited number of deliveries per month.
No other charges. It's cheaper than Instacart.com.

Go to https://www.shipt.com and see what grocery stores are covered by Shipt.com in your area.

Also go to https://grocery.walmart.com and see if there is a Walmart in your area which delivers groceries from the Walmarts which contain a grocery store. It's $7.99 per delivery. (while Shipt.com is $8.25 per month for unlimited number of deliveries)

For nonperishables including canned goods and lots of other food items, one can have free delivery by UPS and FedEx at Walmart.com and Target.com with a $35 purchase (and Target might be $25 purchase) which are entirely different services that the ones I listed above.

Last edited by matisse12; 08-30-2019 at 12:18 AM..

Old 08-29-2019, 11:49 PM

870 posts, read 844,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I buy my ice cream from the Schwan's guy. I don't know if they deliver everywhere, but he makes the rounds weekly. Has all kinds of food - meats, veggies, full skillet meals, pasta, breads, and of course ice cream. It is all frozen.

And they take EBT.

Trumps new rules on Foodstamps means eliminating eligibility with resources. Like money in retirement accounts? Will these new regs affect the elderly?

Old 08-30-2019, 12:03 AM

14,475 posts, read 7,745,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's also knowing how to cook. Many older men grew up in the era when women did all the kitchen work; when their wife passes away, they're stuck. Cooking can be learned, of course, but where are these gentlemen going to turn to learn the needed skills? Cooking's one of those things best learned directly from someone who already knows the basics.
I guess they’ll just have to starve to death rather than learn to cook. There are these miraculous things called cookbooks. Joy of Cooking and Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook cover the basics and have been around for almost a century. $5 in a used book store. Like a lot of people, I’m completely self-taught. In 2019, I use Google but I used cookbooks when I was young and living by myself.

If someone is disabled to the point where they can’t fend for themselves, sure.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:11 AM

97 posts, read 32,743 times
Hydration is a huge problem with the elderly. They are more prone to accidents not to mention not wanting to burden their caregivers with having to assist them with toileting.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:47 AM

5,080 posts, read 3,557,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboom View Post
Hydration is a huge problem with the elderly. They are more prone to accidents not to mention not wanting to burden their caregivers with having to assist them with toileting.
This is so true. While I was trying to work but was really disabled, I did home health care; ie: housework for clients.

There was one woman who I was advised was crotchety and mean and the agency was prepared for it to be one time.

Well, we got on famously. I don't know if it was because we had both been raised around the same culture, both having strict Norwegian mother's or what, but we clicked.

Well, she was even upset about accepting help. Very proud woman who had always paid her own way. A beautiful lady who was just very proud.

Because of that, she only received care twice a week. I knew she wasn't drinking enough fluids, although she would when I was there, but I also knew from washing her dishes she was not eating enough.

She eventually fell in her home and a neighbor saw her through a window. She died shortly after. I just hope I gave her some companionship before she passed.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:12 AM

4,766 posts, read 1,846,991 times
I think a very large share of the "food insecure" have always been nutrition deprived, even when they had plenty. People who lived their whole life on Cheerios, Spaghetti-Os, french fries, Big Macs and Little Debbies. Kitchen skills are challenged if asked to pour a glass of milk. If their entire diet is pre-packaged food, it is not surprising that their $179 in food stamps is eaten up by the 20th by a single recipient. Of course, no 65-yo is going to learn to use a potato peeler, much less a knife sharpener or pressure cooker.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:43 AM

2,599 posts, read 1,151,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
My MIL worked at a food bank and judging by the items she brought home, I’d never go there for free food. Month-old pies, bagged salad turning into slime, that sort of thing. I’m a bear about food safety and throw out anything more than five days old.
My boss is also a stickler for food safety and our rule on produce is, if you wouldn't eat it, don't put it out. Bread is checked for dates and mold. Canned goods, usually a year past the Best By date. And we let customers choose their own food.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:35 AM

13,438 posts, read 25,801,246 times
[quote=Kentucky62;56053621]...Blame the victim is a defense mechanism so we don't have to believe it could ever happen to us or someone we care about.

Exactly. It's not an aspect of human nature that I'm fond of, but it's the truth.

Yes, some of my advantages were of birth and tenacity and genetic ability (personality) but I've also been fortunate that certain bad things didn't happen at the same time. I could have been brought down and so could anyone else. "There but for the grace..."

Old 08-30-2019, 06:52 AM

9,064 posts, read 7,873,965 times
There's a lot of interesting info here. Sounds like some of these people could benefit from low income subsidized housing for elderly singles. Many communities have this housing option. Sounds like more should consider it. Usually its nothing fancy, a room or two with a small kitchen and bath, but thats all you need.

Does anyone ever suggest to these people to find housing they can share with others. Thats a great way to save on expenses.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:16 AM

1,846 posts, read 1,159,790 times
All I have got to say is "there, but for the grace of God, go I".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or