U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2019, 09:45 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,813,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
There's a lot of interesting info here. Sounds like some of these people could benefit from low income subsidized housing for elderly singles. Many communities have this housing option. Sounds like more should consider it. Usually its nothing fancy, a room or two with a small kitchen and bath, but thats all you need.

Does anyone ever suggest to these people to find housing they can share with others. Thats a great way to save on expenses.

Yes, but you have to be very careful who you share with. I've had some doozies! I have two renters now and we get along great. They both have good jobs, pay their rent and we don't get in each other's faces. I expect they'll be with me for a long time because they are happy and comfortable here. None of us are perfect but we accept one another's eccentricities and habits. One is 44 and the other is 39 so they aren't kids. I have grandkids their ages. lol

Old 08-30-2019, 09:50 AM

14,475 posts, read 7,750,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Of course not, it was at a bar. But she obviously had enough money extra to buy beer even on SNAP.

A female college student who isn't hideous typically isn't paying for a beer.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:56 AM

7,702 posts, read 3,157,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
https://time.com/5662200/elderly-hunger-in-america/

The above is shared for information and discussion and not advocacy.
We often have discussion in here about the safety net for seniors.
So here is some FOOD for thought.

The following is from the link:

(Indeed, millions of seniors across the country quietly go hungry as the safety net designed to catch them frays. Nearly 8% of Americans 60 and older were “food insecure” in 2017, according to a recent study released by the anti-hunger group Feeding America. That’s 5.5 million seniors who don’t have consistent access to enough food for a healthy life, a number that has more than doubled since 2001 and is only expected to grow as America grays.

While the plight of hungry children elicits support and can be tackled in schools, the plight of hungry older Americans is shrouded by isolation and a generation’s pride. The problem is most acute in parts of the South and Southwest. Louisiana has the highest rate among states, with 12% of seniors facing food insecurity. Memphis fares worst among major metropolitan areas, with 17% of seniors like Milligan unsure of their next meal.)
Charity is out here for the truly needy. You seem to think taxpayers should pick up the tab.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Meals on wheels is income based. I know many well off that get them and they pay accordingly. Without them the program couldn't survive.

When I did in home health care I had several clients that got Meals on Wheels. They each paid $3 a day and was lunch only. My aunt got them at one point too but for some reason didn't eat them, just put them in the freezer..."for later". When she died my cousin found the fridge freezer full of them.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Well, you know that people who have SNAP are not supposed to ever have anything that might be the least bit enjoyable. I've seen people have a hissy fit because someone bought their little kid a birthday cake. Personally I'd buy a mix and do it myself but maybe that person doesn't have the time, etc.. It's food so they are allowed to have it but it's for something fun so....

Old 08-30-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
See above. Not everyone - even those with a range and refrigerator - have the physical or cognitive capacity to cook from scratch.

You're confusing two issues. There's a big difference between "food security" which is the topic of this thread and "long term care security".

If you're physically or mentally disabled to the point where you can't handle buying and preparing food, that's not a "food security" issue. At that point, there are going to be other basic things in life you can't do for yourself.

My point is that a US citizen age 65+ has enough of a safety net that food security isn't the issue. The issue is when you degrade to the point where you need assisted living level of services. In the US, that is private pay. In a lot of the country, there's a huge gap in services between living independently and qualifying for Medicaid services. With low birth rates, this is going to be a huge problem. ~70% of seniors aren't in a position to private pay for assisted living.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Well, you know that people who have SNAP are not supposed to ever have anything that might be the least bit enjoyable. I've seen people have a hissy fit because someone bought their little kid a birthday cake. Personally I'd buy a mix and do it myself but maybe that person doesn't have the time, etc.. It's food so they are allowed to have it but it's for something fun so....

Personally, I'd exclude all processed foods from SNAP benefits. It takes 30 to 45 minutes to prep and bake yellow sheet cake and another 10 minutes to frost/decorate it. Pineapple upside-down cake is more like an hour to get the brown sugar/pineapple caramelized. Why should my tax dollars fund someone too apathetic to bake a birthday cake?

When I was unemployed at the Great Recession, I learned how to bake.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:45 AM

6,544 posts, read 5,231,234 times
your tax dollars are already subsidizing the basic ingredients that go into that cake - sugar, wheat, corn if using vegetable oil. Milk?

Old 08-30-2019, 11:01 AM

14,028 posts, read 6,706,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
She’s very overweight, doesn’t get along with most people except she likes my daughter. Isn’t that amazing. In fact, she always wanted single room because she never could deal with roommate until she met my daughter.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:30 AM

116 posts, read 26,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

Agreed. that is why I don't get angry when people on SNAP have the latest Apple phone or nicer watch than I have. They may need that latest Apple phone to take a picture of their kid's birthday cake or need that expensive watch to ensure that they can get to work on time. As a taxpayer, who am I to judge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or