U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 12:01 AM

1,243 posts, read 736,465 times

Advertisements

You're not going to get me to go back to work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 11:19 AM

5,840 posts, read 13,415,416 times
We retired early, began collecting SS. Spouse was healthy full of energy, travelled, led an active lifestyle....spouse was diagnosed with aggressive cancer and passed within 1.5 months. My advice? Retire early and enjoy every day. You never know what will happen tomorrow. Had we waited until full retirement for SS, we wouldn't have enjoyed some of the best years of our lives. Friends who waited to retire found that when they did, they were physically and medically unable to fulfill their retirement plans.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:10 PM

24,875 posts, read 8,741,958 times
Oh good grief OP, we never know when our time is up.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:36 PM

1,936 posts, read 759,259 times
I retired early. No regrets. I am still going strong and in great health. Doing fun things sure beats sitting in a pressure filled office and slaving away at a job. Now there is no pressure. Just fun stuff to do, peace and quiet and serenity.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:57 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,099,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We retired early, began collecting SS. Spouse was healthy full of energy, travelled, led an active lifestyle....spouse was diagnosed with aggressive cancer and passed within 1.5 months. My advice? Retire early and enjoy every day. You never know what will happen tomorrow. Had we waited until full retirement for SS, we wouldn't have enjoyed some of the best years of our lives. Friends who waited to retire found that when they did, they were physically and medically unable to fulfill their retirement plans.
Sorry for your loss. Agree 100% with what you said. Glad you got to enjoy those days.

Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM

30,032 posts, read 35,174,797 times
I retired healthy and early and died shortly there after. Thus I am not available for comment on this topic. I will leave it to the living.

Old Today, 07:40 AM

12,251 posts, read 5,345,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh good grief OP, we never know when our time is up.
No we never know but one thing is for certain. The older you are the more likely your time will be up sooner than later and the more likely you will be medicated to some extent due ailments you didn't have when younger.

Old Today, 08:25 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,770,415 times
This does not worry me at all. Well dieing does but not because of retirement. I love retirement.

I wonder if this study was men. Women in marriages still work, laundry, shopping, cooking cleaning for one regardless of retirement. They are more likely to be engaged full on in grand kids. Men on the other hand need something else. I can see some of them having trouble. My brother in law though has been retired quite a while and he was a cop. He takes all that...whatever...out on the 20 acres. Cutting all the habitat trees, shrubs etc. down little by little, turning it into a golf course and bitching about having to mow the whole time.

Course then there are all the so called studies about living alone, lonliness and how it will kill you. That's why there aren't any old people living alone and nursing homes are empty.

Old Today, 11:01 AM

4,378 posts, read 6,122,256 times
My husband retired at 58. He's now 72 and he just finished taking down our hurricane shutters. Walks 18 holes and shows no signs of dying soon.

Old Today, 11:06 AM

12,560 posts, read 12,738,761 times
People often retire early because they have health problems that will kill them. A diabetic who has had multiple amputations will have a tough time holding a job, so early SS may be a path to survival. The survival may not last long.

People who retire in their 50s often have minimal health care. I know sick and retired young people, and the difficulty they have getting a doctor's appointment is shocking. Not long ago I saw a study of Salem, Oregon. People in upper class neighborhoods lived an average of 10 years longer than people in poor neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or