U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

15,868 posts, read 27,010,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I've never drunk a four dollar cup of coffee so there's that.
I remember going to the store near me to get a hot cocoa once in a while on a cool morning. They charged me $1.25 for the drink. I went in one day and they had a new machine and the cost had went from $1.25 to $2.85 for the hot cocoa. I walked out and figured from then on if I wanted to drink a hot cocoa I would buy the mix at the store and make my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

598 posts, read 124,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

OTOH, this many not be as much a product of today's generations, as a historic truth:

"They [Young People] have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things -- and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning -- all their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything -- they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else."
(Aristotle)
You know, people quote variants of that all the time to somehow prove that things have never changed, but I genuinely think that we simply see cycles at work. Generations really are different, but then behaviors will roughly repeat themselves given a sufficiently long time horizon.

Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM

24,202 posts, read 18,024,284 times
When people talk about Millennials, that's a big age span - something like 23/24-37. A 23 year old is unlikely to have much. 37 is starting to get into your peak career years. Some Millennials are now grandparents.

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM

10,186 posts, read 12,503,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
The silent generation, (Me) experienced growing up without a lot. I experienced my old man retiring with a SS check of $400 monthly. I was impressed and decided I did not want to retire on just SS, so I saved, invested and did without. Now I am old, but relativity comfortable. I haven't done any thing that the current younger generations could not do. They just need a good dose of doing without everything for a while and learn to save.
Biggest lesson they could learn is just because you have the cash does not mean you have to spend it on Chinese made goods to boost China's economy.

In 1950 the average size of a new house was 945 sq ft, two bedrooms, one bathroom and that was with a one car garage. Do you wonder why the average house in 1950 had but a one car garage? I will give you a dozen guesses if you are under the age of 25.

Why cell phones for everyone in the family even the 10 year old kids? Do what I will do when I retire and that's go with a cheap talk/text only. If you need a fancy phone for work then let work pay for it.

Cut the cable television noose that is around your neck. People complain of not being able to save but think nothing of spending $200 every month to watch worthless garbage.

Everyone, or most everyone, needs internet so go with the cheapest plan even if it's slower because adults shouldn't be gaming anyway. Games are for children and children should not have access to the internet anyway they should be outside playing in the sunshine.

Don't eat out at restaurants because restaurant food takes lots of money, it will make you fat and in the end kill you so eat HEALTHY at home.

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

6,447 posts, read 3,677,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I remember going to the store near me to get a hot cocoa once in a while on a cool morning. They charged me $1.25 for the drink. I went in one day and they had a new machine and the cost had went from $1.25 to $2.85 for the hot cocoa. I walked out and figured from then on if I wanted to drink a hot cocoa I would buy the mix at the store and make my own.
Well, that's something many of them don't seem to know - how to buy good ingredients and make many of your own at home with twice the luxury and half the cost.

What Aristotle said, was probably true but didn't the Ancient Greeks believe in respect for elders, earning your own respect with time and experience and teaching the young the self-discipline to do it the prescribed way until you were seasoned enough to develop your own method? That's the difference I see between then and now or even between school fifty years ago and now.

The buying power that credit has given them has short-circuited that process.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM

1,601 posts, read 1,371,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I've never drunk a four dollar cup of coffee so there's that.
Oh my...we just commented on that this morning. I stopped in for my Starbucks (plain brewed coffee) with a few of my coffee buddies this morning, and we commented on that.

The line of younger people, some college age or a few years older, streaming out of the Starbucks past us on the patio....most of them with a fancy drink with whipped crème on the top....at $4.50 or more a pop.

Hey...whatever, they can do whatever they wish to. But it is surprising that all of us older financially set guys are drinking drip coffee...and the "starving college students with big loans" as the media keeps telling us most of them are...are drinking pricey drinks.

Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM

2,616 posts, read 685,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
The line of younger people, some college age or a few years older, streaming out of the Starbucks past us on the patio....most of them with a fancy drink with whipped crème on the top....at $4.50 or more a pop.

Hey...whatever, they can do whatever they wish to. But it is surprising that all of us older financially set guys are drinking drip coffee...and the "starving college students with big loans" as the media keeps telling us most of them are...are drinking pricey drinks.

Old Today, 07:00 AM

6,447 posts, read 3,677,248 times
Guess they're doomed. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement