U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

7,633 posts, read 8,833,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The following is presented as food for thought and discussion. Seems like something we should consider as we evaluate future options.
I think it's way too easy to worry yourself into a corner if you allow yourself to do so. Better to spend time enjoying as much of your life as possible in the present and siphon out thinking about "old age" or even defining yourself that way.

I'm a pro-technologist. There likely will be innovative solutions that emerge over time that will be very useful to helping people at all life stages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM

13,998 posts, read 6,692,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No, thanks. I've had enough doom and gloom. But you go ahead and wallow, if you want.

Anne Tergesen of the Wall Street Journal notes, "Older adults who focus primarily on the downsides of aging need to recognize that they are doing themselves more harm than they might imagine. Researchers are finding that if we think about getting older primarily in terms of decline or disability, our health likely will suffer. Conversely, if we tend to view aging in terms of opportunity and growth, our bodies respond in kind."
Exactly. I hear so much doom and gloom here, not just from the Economics forum. Just live and let live.

Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I think it's way too easy to worry yourself into a corner if you allow yourself to do so. Better to spend time enjoying as much of your life as possible in the present and siphon out thinking about "old age" or even defining yourself that way.

I'm a pro-technologist. There likely will be innovative solutions that emerge over time that will be very useful to helping people at all life stages.
I wonder if this is a first sign of a mental decline.

Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

7,633 posts, read 8,833,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I wonder if this is a first sign of a mental decline.
Hmmm not sure. I think we live in an increasingly fear-based society and the downside of all the social media/interconnectivity/24-7 constant bad news is the ratcheting up of anger, hatred, fear, discontent and other things. Ever notice how everyone has their nose stuck in their smartphone? People are marinating in all of the crap. It is infecting everyone, all ages. I see it in my family elders who watch a lot of TV and then are presented with propaganda when they get online. It's like an infection.

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

2,258 posts, read 2,075,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
True. Itís all talk. I have no exit strategy, except to copy what my parents did, they refused extremely treatment. My mom refused chemo therapy, only radiation, no surgery either. My dad refused surgery, so he ended up with dialysis 3 times a week.
For me, itís going to be death by 1,000 roses. I only have room for 100 roses max here.

My father was mentally pretty OK. He was put in a nursing home when he wanted to go home. He decided he had had enough at almost 96, and chose to stop eating and drinking. He died in 2 weeks. We all got to say good-bye and gave up trying to persuade him otherwise. I thought it took quite a bit of mental fortitude to do it that way.

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,213,939 times
As an elder, I have to say that assisted living has never been my idea of a "solution to everyone's worries about old age." I'd rather live in a tent in the woods than live in assisted living.

My "solution to worries about old age" is to enjoy everything, every day, right now. Except doom and gloom posts like this one; I don't really enjoy them much.

Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Hmmm not sure. I think we live in an increasingly fear-based society and the downside of all the social media/interconnectivity/24-7 constant bad news is the ratcheting up of anger, hatred, fear, discontent and other things. Ever notice how everyone has their nose stuck in their smartphone? People are marinating in all of the crap. It is infecting everyone, all ages. I see it in my family elders who watch a lot of TV and then are presented with propaganda when they get online. It's like an infection.
Haha, I love the term marinated in all that crap. Thank goodness I have other positive forums to marinate in.

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
As an elder, I have to say that assisted living has never been my idea of a "solution to everyone's worries about old age." I'd rather live in a tent in the woods than live in assisted living.

My "solution to worries about old age" is to enjoy everything, every day, right now. Except doom and gloom posts like this one; I don't really enjoy them much.
My solution is to garden vigorously.

Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

30,032 posts, read 35,169,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No, thanks. I've had enough doom and gloom. But you go ahead and wallow, if you want.

Anne Tergesen of the Wall Street Journal notes, "Older adults who focus primarily on the downsides of aging need to recognize that they are doing themselves more harm than they might imagine. Researchers are finding that if we think about getting older primarily in terms of decline or disability, our health likely will suffer. Conversely, if we tend to view aging in terms of opportunity and growth, our bodies respond in kind."
Sure and researching isnít doom and gloom for us but rather assistance in charting a positive path forward.

Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

5,236 posts, read 2,554,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The following is presented as food for thought and discussion. Seems like something we should consider as we evaluate future options.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/opi...old-in-america

It is written from the perspective of a non senior reflection on the needs of elderly parents and how to help them without taking on a burden themselves.
The newest model I've found for assisted living is an owner occupied apartment building that is connected via covered walkway to a health services building. It seems like a more authentic aging-in-place as there is no need to ever move to another facility. Residents purchase services as needed. For example, when there are no health issues, they can purchase meal service or cook independently. There are 4 levels of care. As people who age in place need more services and care, they pay for those needed services. Level 4 means transferring to the health services building (dementia care).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or