U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 12:49 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,179,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The following is presented as food for thought and discussion. Seems like something we should consider as we evaluate future options.

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/opi...old-in-america

It is written from the perspective of a non senior reflection on the needs of elderly parents and how to help them without taking on a burden themselves.
There is already a thread on this article. Maybe the moderator can merge the two or close one.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...ed-living.html

mod note - they have been merged.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; Today at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 12:49 PM

30,032 posts, read 35,174,797 times
We are affiliated with a very nice CCRC for future use down the road hopefully around age 80.

The first stage is fully independent living. The facility has all the luxury bells and whistles.
The second stage if needed is assisted living and that can vary from facility to facility and be defined many different ways. Beyond that if needed is memory care and skilled nursing care.

We subscribe to the concept that a full rich retirement is enhanced by long term planning with possible needs, wants and goals identified along with a successful financial plan to achieve them.

Worked for us, but to each their own.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:51 PM

30,032 posts, read 35,174,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
There is already a thread on this article. Maybe the moderator can merge the two or close one.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...ed-living.html
I missed that thread. Same article no need to duplicate.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:17 PM
JRR

3,832 posts, read 2,300,988 times
My mother went into assisted living just before her 101st birthday. Facility was clean and pleasant and she had a nice large room and brought some of her furniture from her apartment. Food was pretty good and she made some friends there. People who worked there learned her routine such as liking a cup of tea before she went to bed. So they would be sure to bring her some hot water from the kitchen every evening.

Unfortunately, after 18 months there, she fell and fractured her upper arm and just gave up. Had to move her to a nursing home until the end. One of the last things she said was how much she missed the assisted living facility

Old 09-03-2019, 01:32 PM

2,268 posts, read 1,414,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No, thanks. I've had enough doom and gloom. But you go ahead and wallow, if you want.

Anne Tergesen of the Wall Street Journal notes, "Older adults who focus primarily on the downsides of aging need to recognize that they are doing themselves more harm than they might imagine. Researchers are finding that if we think about getting older primarily in terms of decline or disability, our health likely will suffer. Conversely, if we tend to view aging in terms of opportunity and growth, our bodies respond in kind."

Written by someone who is nowhere near old age. That goes for the "researchers" too.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 5,067,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Written by someone who is nowhere near old age. That goes for the "researchers" too.
I'm so tempted to point out the logical fallacy here...

But instead I'll just say, "So, how about that assisted suicide, huh?"

Old 09-03-2019, 02:59 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,977,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I never realized these facilities were exempted from standards required of Nursing Homes. I always considered them a sub-set of Nursing Homes, facilities for Seniors who required the least amount of assistance.
I thought assisted living = nursing homes. what's the difference?
oh, i didn't read the other replies. Now i understand.
jeez, this is stuff i didn't know.
Come to think of it.... it is very sad.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:18 PM

8,520 posts, read 9,284,657 times
For some who don’t know my history, I’m a retired Social Worker. With my experience I can assure you the likelihood of winding up in assisted living is very small. So small we are not spending money on LTC or any type of assisted living insurance.

The “fantasy” that we can be self sufficient until we die is the actual reality for 90% of elders and most of the other 10% will do ok with a little in home help

Last edited by Mr5150; 09-03-2019 at 04:00 PM..

Old 09-03-2019, 03:26 PM

4,124 posts, read 1,642,934 times
eventually, Assisted Living will be robot assisted.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:56 PM

7,743 posts, read 3,242,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I thought assisted living = nursing homes. what's the difference?
oh, i didn't read the other replies. Now i understand.
jeez, this is stuff i didn't know.
Come to think of it.... it is very sad.
Unfortunately, a common misconception/assumption people make until reality knocks on the front door. No one gave it permission to do so. It just does. Best to look into it beforehand but not go so far as to give up the ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or