U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 12:48 PM

823 posts, read 230,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
... I am far from that point but I do have a plan.
Only when you don’t...
If a mental decline sneaks up on you - what is then? Your best laid plans are now a moot point.
Better have some plan B.
I am sadly and admiringly fascinated by this man: not sure if I could have done it.
http://martin-manley.eprci.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I've been mulling this over. I am alone. No spouse, no kids or grandkids. There are sisters, but they are not caring types, and one has significant problems of her own.

So it'll be me, myself, and I who will have to deal with things. If I get cancer? How will I get to and from cancer treatments? Will I be able to take care of myself while undergoing treatments? Will my ins. pay for a home health care person to come by once a day to make sure I'm okay, or how does that work?

I will need an exit strategy, if I'm not lucky enough to drop dead from a heart attack. Both grandmas declined to the point where one had to be put in a nursing home...the other lived w/my mother, but didn't know who we were, and rapidly declined until she was hospitalized and died.

Will I want to live in a nursing home, where every friend I make dies...as will I, eventually? I don't think so.

I need to give these things more thought. I don't see the need to eek out one more breath, just for the sake of it.
Check your options at the Elderly/ Health department of your state for home care.
Rides are available from those services if needed or volunteer organizations.
Meals on wheels, church communities.
Set up an Uber/Lyft account. Program taxi cabs phone # in your phone.
Get a life alert necklace or similar - paid services.
Subscribe to a daily paper even if you don’t need it-or send yourself a letter every day- if not picked up by you from a mailbox- your mailman will alert authorities.
Get a front door key lock box for police or fire or both. They can enter your place without breaking in to assist you in case your “ life alert” went on or to remove your body.
https://www.knoxbox.com/residential-knoxboxes/
If one lives alone and elderly- maybe better is to re- home your pets if you have any

Old 08-31-2019, 01:01 PM

7,082 posts, read 3,926,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
IF you have a little money, there is a non profit in Switzerland that is available.
You probably have to be a Swiss citizen.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:07 PM

7,082 posts, read 3,926,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Check your options at the Elderly/ Health department of your state for home care.
Rides are available from those services if needed or volunteer organizations.
Meals on wheels, church communities.
Set up an Uber/Lyft account. Program taxi cabs phone # in your phone.
Get a life alert necklace or similar - paid services.
Subscribe to a daily paper even if you don’t need it-or send yourself a letter every day- if not picked up by you from a mailbox- your mailman will alert authorities.
Not much. I live in Louisiana...a poor state committed to the oil & gas industry, and not fond of providing anything for residents w/o money. You're pretty much on your own, except for the minimum.

Having said that, the gov did expand Medicaid. And in my semi-rural area, I think there is ONE senior service bus in the city I'm a burb of, and Lyft operates here. So, better than nothing. But nothing that can be used in a hurry. And that's IF there is nearby cancer treatment. My dad took his wife 3 hrs away to Houston for cancer treatments. I won't be able to do that, of course.

When I get older I'll check into life alert. That seems like a good idea.

Newspapers...they don't deliver here any more. I guess they'd mail it.

But none of this gets me cancer treatments, and cared for at home...unless my ins. provides for a once a day checkup by nursing aid or something.

What I will probably have to do is my ins. pay for going into a nursing home for cancer treatments, or something like that. Or if I forego treatments, I can go into hospice to die.

Old 08-31-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
...I just hope Death with Dignity laws get passed in our state before too long.
Even if passed: it is not a panacea and a very limited application- you have to be mentally competent and physically able to administer the drug yourself.
Those conditions won’t apply when you need it the most...to die with dignity

Old 08-31-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
Well, that's the thing, isn't it? Having the Cancer Fairy visit your house tends to cause more disciplined thinking I think.

I would much sooner throw a huge party (really huge) than spend $9k/month wearing diapers and having Nurse Ratched ignore my bedsores. The tricky thing is finding a suicide plan that is somewhat dignified, doesn't result in a mess for others, and is easy to do for the cowardly. Leaping from bridges or walking in front of trains is a tricky matter and probably too difficult, although I have to admire the mental strength of the people I know who have done it.
Martin Manley

Old 08-31-2019, 01:16 PM

7,419 posts, read 15,512,080 times
Even the states with Death With Dignity/Assisted Suicide, like my state of Oregon, have restrictions. You have to have to be a resident, you have to have a terminal diagnosis AND get a doctor to certify that you have 6 months or less to live. Oregon requires residency, but the act of getting a driver's license, or much easier, an ID card, counts.

For a lot of people, that "6 months to live" is the problem, particularly for diseases with a long slow slope.

And I get the counter-argument to Death With Dignity laws, that people might be pressured by family members or health care companies or doctors to end their lives, but I want to be able to control my own life AND death.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 08-31-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I am another of the loners who has no one to help me when I reach the point I can't help myself. I will look into that book I've heard about (can't remember the name) that gives some ideas how to end your own life.

If my state allows physician assisted end of life, I'll do that.

I was there for my mother when she became ill and died (neither of my two sisters had any interest). Then I had to move my oldest sister (she had cerebral palsy and her mind was failing) into a nursing home (I worked full time, had a one bedroom apartment) and her daughter wasn't interested in having her move in, either. My second sister had kids who took care of the details.

I have a nephew out of state who doesn't speak to me (3 years!!) due to a comment I made about the election (2016). But he said before that he would take care of it (I made him a beneficiary in a life insurance policy). My kids....... well let's not go there.

I wish in a way that we were more like the animals who sense when they are dying to wander off and find a place to die.

I had thought at one time of moving to an area with mountains where when things were going downhill (no pun intended) for me to wander off and finish life there.
Some nephew, canít believe he actually said that to you- to make him a beneficiary- he probably pull the plug ASAP, even if you still have a chance...
You better off finding some house of worship? The ones that would keep you alive as their beliefs dictate...
Leave them money for some beautiful and historic building restoration where they worship.
You help them to save a historic building and they will help you...?

Old 08-31-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
You probably have to be a Swiss citizen.
No, you donít.
The only requirements is that you are mentally able and physically can take a drug by yourself alone in the room and that the prescribing doctor can not financially benefit from your death.
I think recently there were backed up and would not take new people for a while...

Old 08-31-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Not much. I live in Louisiana...a poor state committed to the oil & gas industry, and not fond of providing anything for residents w/o money. You're pretty much on your own, except for the minimum.

Having said that, the gov did expand Medicaid. And in my semi-rural area, I think there is ONE senior service bus in the city I'm a burb of, and Lyft operates here. So, better than nothing. But nothing that can be used in a hurry. And that's IF there is nearby cancer treatment. My dad took his wife 3 hrs away to Houston for cancer treatments. I won't be able to do that, of course.

When I get older I'll check into life alert. That seems like a good idea.

Newspapers...they don't deliver here any more. I guess they'd mail it.

But none of this gets me cancer treatments, and cared for at home...unless my ins. provides for a once a day checkup by nursing aid or something.

What I will probably have to do is my ins. pay for going into a nursing home for cancer treatments, or something like that. Or if I forego treatments, I can go into hospice to die.
Sorry to hear that... how attached are you to your location?
Maybe it is time to consider new adventures and move to a more urban environment? Or even another state?
It seems the trend now: the young and the old are moving to urban centers...
What do you have to lose if you still are healthy enough to try something new? which can possibly help you to “ future proof” your life in an old age?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or