U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 09:13 AM

4,819 posts, read 3,347,642 times

Advertisements

Something I have noticed in the past couple of years is that young men (some of them) are extremely polite and helpful. Unfortunately, not as true for young women, but a few of them are polite and helpful.

Just a guess...... the way these people were brought up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 09:42 AM

13,981 posts, read 6,685,004 times
I was in UK and two nice young men on separate train trip, one from US and one from Sweden offered to help my husband and I with our luggage, I was telling my daughters, they need to meet these young men. Not only that they were nice looking too.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 09-01-2019 at 11:00 AM..

Old 09-01-2019, 10:34 AM

32,477 posts, read 20,455,652 times
In our 50s in Hawaii and don't feel ignored or disrespected at all.

I have no doubt that my MIL feels ignored, and my Mom probably does not, she is much more social and positive.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 09-01-2019, 10:46 AM

5,427 posts, read 698,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Something I have noticed in the past couple of years is that young men (some of them) are extremely polite and helpful. Unfortunately, not as true for young women, but a few of them are polite and helpful.

When I lived in NE I noticed this too--especially at rock concerts. Young girls will invade my space--I mean REALLY invade my space, i.e. you could not slide a piece of paper between us! Once i was literally pushed off a step by a huffy young woman who claimed that my daughter pushed in front of her. My daughter had gone to the restroom between sets when these chicks and their dates came up behind me. When my daughter resumed her place next to me a row almost broke out between these kids and us. If it wasn't for a couple of bystanders vouching for us I think we would all have been kicked out! What's interesting is that guys for the most part aren't the problem--it's always the girls.

I haven't had a chance to experience a rock concert here in FL so I can't comment if it's the same here. Otherwise, almost everyone has been very nice, very accommodating and will go out of their way to help you. Not so much with driving--but that's ANOTHER story

Old 09-01-2019, 11:35 AM

2,402 posts, read 1,210,744 times
I don't feel like I'm being ignored when out in public, people of all ages smile at me, say hello, etc. Young people that I know are attentive, don't ignore me, but I get the feeling they are always watching for signs of dementia. I do admit that I like to keep them guessing sometimes... it amuses me.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:02 PM
mlb

3,305 posts, read 2,923,400 times
65 and 63 here in a Hispanic dominant community in Central California.

HUGELY respectful of elders.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:34 PM

24,826 posts, read 8,721,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Iím 57, and yes, itís obvious Iím starting to become invisible with the younger set. I live in the Bay Area. On the other hand, Iím also enjoying the benefits of the few well mannered younger set who will hold doors, carry bags, etc, for an old lady. They seem to be about 10% of the population.
57, older lady? I was helping my 80 some yr old friend with her life when I was 57+

Old 09-01-2019, 02:49 PM

5,230 posts, read 8,772,180 times
Smile You are correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post

My own father made all my dates pick me up at the house and go through the interview process, open the car door, etc.

Eventually, I went out on my own but I had a few who did not do that but in the back of my mind, always wanted that.

Well, my own husband always opens the car door for me, also the regular doors and our children, now young adults, see the same thing. We went out to dinner recently with our son and he did just as his dad did.

My children were also around someone with a disability (me) and an older woman who took care of them growing up. She was 68 when I hired her and she passed away at 89. Had the weekends off but never missed a day in those 21 years; went on vacations with us; was part of the family; we were hers and she was ours. She was our grandma for hire but obviously much more than that.

It taught our kids respect for their elders and to help those with disabilities. They saw it first hand.

So glad we had her in our lives. She was one of those coincidences that just happened and the pieces fell in together.

As a female, whoever open the door for me, I always thank them. Basic courtesy. Never goes out of style.

Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM

6,950 posts, read 3,842,055 times
I have not had any disrespectful experiences at the age of 71. I tend to patronize the same shops and restaurants so people know me. They will comment that I've been missing if I have not been there as usual. I can't recall any disrespect from other customers.!

On occasion there is an episode of invisibility when a place is busy or the waiters are stressed out. I will walk out and probably not go back. Women tell me that they get the invisible treatment quite often if they are not with a man. That has little to do with age.

I was in an Old Navy store today...pretty conspicuous as the oldest person in the place. Their styles are pretty young. They were having a sale and my daughter was looking at clothes. I was politely quizzed a couple times if I needed help finding something. I actually found a few things that I bought so people will probably mistake me now for being half my age.

Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM

1,070 posts, read 393,401 times
I do not feel that normally I am treated any differently than when I was younger but I do miss the human contact that is disappearing with technology and social changes. So I go to the supermarket and do not speak to anyone as it is self serve check out. No one packs for you here or carries anything to your car. If you want that you have to shop online. Increasing numbers of pubs and restaurants are almost self-serve, line up and order, go back and collect food when the buzzer goes off. With public transport, the only option is a preloaded tap card. You rarely need to go into a bank as it is usually done online or for cash, you go to an ATM. Library books are self borrowed and returned so there is rarely a need to talk to anyone at the library. Airline checkin is self serve now and no one ever says Welcome Home when you return from overseas as going through customs and immigration is now self serve as it now is on departure. Friends mostly send a text rather than call to make an arrangement. It is lovely to have an hour talking to someone when you finally do catch up.

It is not done here to talk to people on public transport. However I do have to say that if I am travelling on a bus with my grandkids it is people of Asian appearance who are the ones to offer or change a seat to help me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or