U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2019, 03:28 PM

22,564 posts, read 14,830,058 times

Advertisements

Old women wear cloaks of invisibility. You can sit in a coffee shop and observe with impunity. On the other hand, I have not been harassed by random men in a long time.

But over all, in my corner of the PNW, I am treated courteously and well. I have no complaints.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:08 AM

7 posts, read 7,743 times
All the people in my area are very friendly and helpful to me. I go to the stores or park using my mobility chair and if I stop for a minute, people will stop to ask if I need help. In the store, I can't reach the produce bags and someone will always offer to get it for me or anything else if they see me trying to get it. I can turn the chair off and then stand up to get it but they are usually offering before I do that. On the sidewalks along the street, even kids and teenagers on skateboard say hello or offer help. One of my neighbors was out in her mobility chair and got stuck in a mud puddle on a busy street corner, a teenager jumped out of his car (he was the passenger, not driving) to help her. The grocery clerks put my groceries in my insulated bag and hang it on the back of my chair, which means that have to come out from behind the counter.

Old Today, 07:35 AM

4,567 posts, read 2,721,863 times
We have a major top 10 university in our town.

The college students there think we locals are 1) in their way, 2) idiots, 3) show little or no respect for us.

Many come from foriegn countries and cultures where probably they are "high class" ( becausethey can come here and go to college), so therefore we are "little people" to them.

One culture in particular, who will remain anonymous, is particularly that way, because they DO come from a higher class. That doesn't translate to well here, where everyone is supposed to be equal ( though we all know , even from these boards that thats not exactly true over here).

They also take jobs away from locals to work while in school. Case in point, my OH works a grocery store cashier job across the river. Hours/,days used to get cut to 3 days a week come summer, but this summer my OH got cut to just one 4 hour day( instead of 25 hours a week), in favor of college kids who made more than my OH, called off frequently, or pulled no call/no shows, but still had a job waiting when they "felt like " coming to work, and didn't care to completely do the job.
(My OH does have an incomplete college education, so is not a dunce and has a quality work ethic).

The other high school kids will cross a 6 lane divided parkway without regards to cars, crosswalks or crossing signals, mouth off to elders.

So. No you cannot prove the younger generation(s) are "good" by us here.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or