U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 09:56 PM

8,511 posts, read 9,276,205 times

Advertisements

How is it for you where you live?

Mrs5150 and I were talking just now how well we are treated By young people. We are pushing 70 and everyone in our town, despite their age, treats us with respect and relates to us as real people despite their age. We are not invisible to 18 year olds.

I keep reading how old people are ignored in urban settings. Treated as if they are invisible. Even in small towns. Is this true where you live? Or is it not so where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 10:35 PM

24,808 posts, read 8,711,827 times
I live in Santa Monica in a 13 unit apt bldg and I'm 81.

I have 4 younger guys help me, one is 55, one is 40something and 2 twins are 25. They are respectful, most of us have interesting discussions and I'm like a grandma type I'm sure. One says I remind him of his grandma.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:53 PM

814 posts, read 814,245 times
We moved to Florida from NY.
When we first moved, I was amazed how nice young people (under 20) treated so many old people. Publix supermarket has mostly older people working the checkouts. Young people do bagging or helping people out with their shopping carts, loading their cars. They even stand at the doors during rain storms and carry umbrellas to help you to your car. Amazing!

There are so many older people working in the stores, I'm amazed. We're here 7 yrs and I'm still struck how respectful and helpful the young people are.

We miss New York, but really enjoy how everyone treats us in Florida. Hubby is 87 and I'm 70.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:48 PM

18,898 posts, read 4,994,331 times
I don't feel we are ignored and we are 72. These are acre+ lots. The neighbor across the street is 70, another neighbor is 92. There are a lot of retired people here but a lot of younger people, schools, activities. Many came from other states, we are from California but have been in Colorado since 1981. We like it here, outside of Pueblo, in Pueblo West.

Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM

18,166 posts, read 23,407,981 times
I'm in my 60's in Silicon Valley. No issues here.

Old Yesterday, 04:46 AM

26,385 posts, read 33,397,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Mrs5150 and I were talking just now how well we are treated By young people. We are pushing 70 and everyone in our town, despite their age, treats us with respect and relates to us as real people despite their age. We are not invisible to 18 year olds.

I keep reading how old people are ignored in urban settings. Treated as if they are invisible. Even in small towns. Is this true where you live? Or is it not so where you live?
My parents are 88 and 93, and given my experience with how many times that service companies have ripped them off I would say that there is little respect for the elderly.

Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM

24,212 posts, read 18,040,831 times
The median age here is about 50. Seniors are a large component of the population and aren’t ignored.

Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM

1,098 posts, read 844,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My parents are 88 and 93, and given my experience with how many times that service companies have ripped them off I would say that there is little respect for the elderly.
I think this ^^^^ can be said no matter where one lives. The same businesses I would not trust as far as I could throw them when I was young, are the same businesses I trust even less now that I am old.

Sadly what I hear the most about, on the news, are rip offs by caregivers who come into the homes of seniors. Jewelry, bank accounts, coin collections, anything small and of value. I would like to think these stories are about a small percent of worthless people but it sure puts a black mark on that industry as a whole.

I am in Tennessee and, generally speaking on a day-to-day more personal basis, the younger folks are very respectful.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM

13,970 posts, read 6,677,472 times
It varies, but the disrespect is not from the young people, middle age or older. I was at Costco and one couple in their 40s, decided to bump my heels with their cart, then skipped ahead of me even though they were behind me in line, when I spoke up, they said I was walking slowly, heck anybody would if you were just injured. I gave them an earful. Jerks are jerks everywhere. Another one my husband played with at pickle ball court, sheís probably older than 50, kept insisting on using her ball that didnít work, we offered our ball, she refused, then she let him use her partnerís pickle ball, that didnít work either. My husband offered our ball again. They refused. In the end, my husband gave them a ****ty game, served them right. Mean girls even at this age. They never did grow up.

Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM

1,158 posts, read 556,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

I’m 57, and yes, it’s obvious I’m starting to become invisible with the younger set. I live in the Bay Area. On the other hand, I’m also enjoying the benefits of the few well mannered younger set who will hold doors, carry bags, etc, for an old lady. They seem to be about 10% of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or