U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:41 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,703,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I grew up in New England. Generally speaking you do not have a week or two to prepare for severe winter storms as with a typical hurricane. That was really my point.
A week or two? You have all of September, October, and November to prepare for winter storms. You know they're coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:46 AM

12,237 posts, read 5,334,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
A week or two? You have all of September, October, and November to prepare for winter storms. You know they're coming!
Yeah, actually you have all year to prepare. Winter storms are a normal part of the weather there. They are not abnormal or unusual. You know you are going to have winter storms every winter, no question about it.

Old Today, 08:51 AM

587 posts, read 680,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Hurricaneóthatís it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker Iíve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I donít see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesnít require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?
Good to hear. We have enough people already

Old Today, 09:10 AM

9,640 posts, read 2,931,336 times
Quote:
Hurricaneóthatís it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker Iíve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I donít see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesnít require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?
Totally agree with you about climate change and the stronger more frequent storms. DH and I are 6-7 generational native Floridians and made the choice to leave FL. It was a difficult decision, but we started seeing the effects a few years ago.

Best of luck to you on your move.

Old Today, 09:11 AM

16,551 posts, read 4,354,247 times
Quote:
Hurricane—that’s it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker I’ve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I don’t see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesn’t require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?
Living in Florida full time for most heat-sensitive retirees is not my suggestion!

We have a winter place on the Gulf Coast and spend 4 months a year there. Perfect weather. The highest winds recorded since 1871 where I live are 75 MPH....

Not to say it could not happen.

Florida isn't much of a dream these days, tho, as traffic, pollution, crime, excess heat, etc. have all taken their toll. But if you can afford seasonal stays then your insurance will take care of the rest.

We live in a 1955 house that was built well before any hurricane codes. No problems.....

Just don't move onto the barrier islands....and don't expect the government there to clean things up, install mass transit or do ANYTHING other than cater to big business and builders (ag, mining, development, health care, etc.)

Old Today, 09:16 AM

16,551 posts, read 4,354,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
And don't forget the biggest threat to Florida residents: "Florida Man"!!!!!
I am entertained by him - in fact, I frequent a particular 7-11 where he is on full display. I should do a reality TV show.

BUT, one should keep in mind pedestrians and bikes are mowed down at the highest rate in the nation.....and 2X the typical motor vehicle deaths and injuries.

We don't go a day on the Gulf Coast without a couple of deadly accidents. It's as if it was just a part of life...accepted.

Old Today, 09:19 AM

6,002 posts, read 4,979,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The hurricane is only one issue. Hot and humid and buggy is way bigger and frequent. Some of the nation's worst health care also comes to mind. Then there is the culture.....
What culture? There was none as far as I could see. LOL

Old Today, 09:41 AM

1,638 posts, read 581,072 times
I heard Orlando is virtually hurricane and flood-proof: is that true? If so, maybe Orlando is going to see massive growth, due to it having the best weather in Florida.

Forgive my ignorance (closest to Florida I've been is New Orleans and coastal Mississippi during the summer), but in my perspective, the hurricanes won't deter retirees from snowbirding to Florida. For me, two months of Gulf Coast heat and humidity was actually incredibly pleasant. I'm sure even two hours in a blizzard in Upstate New York will be brutal enough to have you wishing you were back in the Floridian humidity. Clearly snowbirders would rather take some humidity than blizzards in the Upper Midwest.

Other than hurricanes and flooding, the Gulf Coast has the best weather in the U.S. People think Coastal California has great weather but then they come to San Diego or Los Angeles during June and it's all gloomy, overcast, and too chilly to go to the beach. This "June gloom" can come back periodically even in August. Drive an hour inland to places like San Bernardino, and you'll be treated to 100+ degree heat waves plus the most polluted air in the U.S. Don't forget, bone dry summers mean high fire danger, come fall.

Old Today, 09:49 AM

20,206 posts, read 19,202,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I grew up in New England. Generally speaking you do not have a week or two to prepare for severe winter storms as with a typical hurricane. That was really my point.
Yes, a blizzard is easier to prepare for than a hurricane but they're often not predicted very well and as you get older, you're not out there skiing. You're more likely to be trapped in your house minus electricity (better if you have your own generator), no landline, no cell service, can't get the door open to go out and shovel the snow. Shouldn't shovel the snow at your age anyway.

But you do have the choice of moving to an apartment where maintenance will clear the parking lot and the electricity is less likely to go off than when you're living isolated somewhere in your own house.

In 2015 we had the most snow in history in the month of Feb. We couldn't get out, couldn't call for help, the roads weren't plowed for days, no electricity. We ate sandwiches for a few days. The snow was packed so high against both doors that we didn't get the back door open until April (there was still a foot of frozen snow on the back deck and that prevented the door from opening.) Snow hadn't drifted and then frozen quite as much on the front door, thank goodness.

In this country, it seems that you aren't really safe from bad weather anywhere. The best you can do is to take protective measures like apartment living, living near family who can help you, living in a city.

Old Today, 09:54 AM

1,195 posts, read 626,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
For most people, Florida drivers are probably more of a menace.
That's because they are all northerners!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement