U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

679 posts, read 327,837 times

Advertisements

If I kept my house at 69 all year I'd be wearing a down jacket inside. No joke. Being constantly cold sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

150 posts, read 77,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I thought you were going to say it's the things the hurricane force winds are blowing around that kill ya. That too, lol.
Ehh, it's not the accident that kills ya, it's the sudden stop.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

16,568 posts, read 4,360,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Right on! I cant imagine living in Florida. I hated visiting there and I would hate living there. Give me New England anyday and all year round.
I've always hated florida and for very good reasons (I have a book of stories, including some dead people and many who went nuts, other who spent the family fortunes, etc. etc.).......

But now that we are older we have a nice little ranch in Sarasota about 1.5 miles inland and love it for a couple months a year.

You have to make your own Florida....the Florida they try to sell you isn't a good one, but there are lots of nice people there and most want to meet others (and they aren't Floridians, of course, because 90% of the population is from the last 50 years!)...

It's the poor mans caribbean.....easy to get to, easy to get out and the winter weather in mid-state and up is just great.

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

1,202 posts, read 627,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
For me, alligators are the biggest drawback. No, thank you! I live where it's safe to play in creeks and rivers and ponds and lakes. Yeah, there might be rattlesnakes and water moccasins and copperheads around, but they are more scared of you than you are of them and none of them have ever attacked me.
I haven't yet been attacked by a gator.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,021,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
If I kept my house at 69 all year I'd be wearing a down jacket inside. No joke. Being constantly cold sucks.
Poor you. I can handle coolness much better than being hot since I can always put on more clothes. But there is a limit to what I can take off, lol. Feeling cold like that can also be a classic sign of low thyroid. I know that when I try to cut back on my thyroid meds that I notice the cold more. It's good that we all don't tolerate the same thing, otherwise there wouldn't be room for all of us. I'll send you my hot weather, and you can send me your colder weather, how's that.

Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,021,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ft Laud Guy View Post
Ehh, it's not the accident that kills ya, it's the sudden stop.
Lol, And it's not the fall that kills ya, it's the stuff you hit on the way down.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM

6,949 posts, read 3,842,055 times
I think everyone I know that moved to Florida has moved away over the last 10 or 15 years. One friend just bought one of those canal homes on the Gulf side but he still lives in California and rents it out to visitors. He hopes to retire there but at sea level he might get his feet wet by then. I enjoy visiting but would not buy beach property.

There was an issue with sink holes where my relatives lived...and alligators. They had a pool and patio that was screened to keep bugs out and fire ants were in the yard. There were self-appointed vigilantes that patrolled the street as some sort of neighborhood watch posse. It just got too weird to stay...and they weren't even in a beach resort town.

Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM

679 posts, read 327,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Poor you. I can handle coolness much better than being hot since I can always put on more clothes.
I moved to a hot place already. But I refuse to set the thermostat in my own house at a temp that is too cold or hot to save a few bucks. . . . I kind of hate wearing layers of clothes anyway never seem to make me warmer just constricted.

Old Today, 12:29 AM

4,458 posts, read 6,009,424 times
I so agree with the OP! I've lived in FL for six years and in that time I've been attacked by gators twice, the place has been overrun with palmetto bugs, I can't even go out of the house for the mosquitoes and humidity, the darn flesh-eating bacteria almost ate my leg off, these darn hurricanes make us evacuate three or four times a season, and now my condo is sinking into a hole. So take my advice and just find somewhere else to retire!

Old Today, 12:45 AM

21,603 posts, read 44,479,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I so agree with the OP! I've lived in FL for six years and in that time I've been attacked by gators twice, the place has been overrun with palmetto bugs, I can't even go out of the house for the mosquitoes and humidity, the darn flesh-eating bacteria almost ate my leg off, these darn hurricanes make us evacuate three or four times a season, and now my condo is sinking into a hole. So take my advice and just find somewhere else to retire!

Hilarious. Laugh of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement