U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:50 AM

2,741 posts, read 1,021,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I moved to a hot place already. But I refuse to set the thermostat in my own house at a temp that is too cold or hot to save a few bucks. . . . I kind of hate wearing layers of clothes anyway never seem to make me warmer just constricted.
Well, you gotta be comfortable, and not liking the AC to be too cold will save you money. I don't like it cold enough to hang meat either, it hurts. I keep my AC at 71. If I'm a little chilled, the first thing extra I put on are socks, and then long sleeves, then I'm good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:34 AM

39,082 posts, read 15,345,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
That's just one of the reasons why we're moving to Door County (Wisconsin). They have had a very nasty tornado and one devastating fire (in 1876), but that's about it for natural disasters.

The following disaster map is interesting.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/d...Map/Dashboard1
What a fascinating map. Thank you.

Old Today, 05:56 AM

4,375 posts, read 6,119,805 times
I'm in Florida on the east coast awaiting the brush of Dorian and feeling, not only safe but, very much in love with my locale. Our house is built like a bunker to all the newest codes, we've known now for over a week to prepare, and we feel a lot safer here than we ever did in our stick built house back in the northeast. We don't have a fraction of the bugs we had back there, we get treated quarterly and we're in good shape. The humidity had forced us to change our habits so I take my walks now in the early am or in the pm but my husband golfs no matter what. People are nicer here, neighbors are more neighborly, and we won't be digging snow off our car, slipping on ice or scratching dry dead skin off our appendages.

People seem to lump all of Florida together. It's a diverse state with many personalities. Know what you want then choose wisely. If I liken it to Massachusetts, there is Boston, western MA, coastal MA, and Cape Cod where we used to live. Again, something for everybody. Just know what you like and go for it.

Old Today, 06:25 AM

3,303 posts, read 1,716,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Hurricaneóthatís it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker Iíve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I donít see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesnít require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?
I hope all New Yorkers feel like you. If hurricanes keep New Yorkers away, its more than worth the occasional hassle.

Old Today, 06:29 AM

2,981 posts, read 4,424,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I hope all New Yorkers feel like you. If hurricanes keep New Yorkers away, its more than worth the occasional hassle.
Say hello to our next governor, you've got my vote .... lol

Old Today, 06:37 AM

9,056 posts, read 7,868,570 times
I believe I read someplace that Az is the state with the least likelyhood of a natural disaster.

Old Today, 06:39 AM

4,375 posts, read 6,119,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I believe I read someplace that Az is the state with the least likelyhood of a natural disaster.
Oh, but it's a dry heat. 114į +

Old Today, 06:44 AM

9,913 posts, read 7,189,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I haven't yet been attacked by a gator.
Been in FL for 42 years, and I haven't either. In fact, I haven't even seen all that many firsthand. Those I have have just been right where they should be, doing their natural alligator thing, and not bothering anyone.

I figure, you leave them alone, they'll return the favor.

The alligators that get aggressive towards humans are those that have been fed by the dimwits who think it's cool to feed a wild animal.

Old Today, 06:50 AM

12,243 posts, read 5,338,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Summer temps can reach as high as 120 some years. That in itself is a natural disaster, LOL

Old Today, 06:56 AM

221 posts, read 170,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

You have to make your own Florida....the Florida they try to sell you isn't a good one, but there are lots of nice people there and most want to meet others (and they aren't Floridians, of course, because 90% of the population is from the last 50 years!)...
This! I, too, never wanted to live in FL. Spent a good bit of time there recently in the hottest months due to a family issue, and now find myself unexpectedly owning a small debt-free home, inland a few miles from the gulf. Noticed quickly how warm and welcoming people were..albeit many are likely transplants. But I love that people are from other places, and are looking to make connections with others. Have not yet decided what to do...move there or sell. With no close family and only a few close friends here (we’ve moved a lot), the pull is strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement