U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM

9,490 posts, read 8,496,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Then they must have paid cash and not carried insurance on those homes
People w/mortgages usually are required by mortgage companies to carry insurance including flood insurance
Most people are smart to carry it even if they are not in flood plain...

And if you cant afford insurance you canít afford a home
There were thousands of the blue tarp homes here in South Florida after Irma. People were fighting insurance companies not because they didn't have the money to get them fixed OR the roofers were backed up 12 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM

9,923 posts, read 7,194,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Thats the hidden gorilla in the room no one will talk about. Its not global warming, its excess population living in places that are not save from Mother Nature.

Cut back the population to 1950 levels and things will be real nice.
Exactly. And what always frosts me about the overpopulation in Florida is that the local politicians, Chamber of Commerce and realtors bend over backwards encouraging, heck, aggressively pushing ever more development, more uncontrolled influx of transplants into not just coastal areas ( which are pretty much built to capacity), but also inland where they're overrunning the state's natural resources. And then when hurricanes threaten, they pretty much throw up their hands in despair at the daunting task of evacuating all these people to safety.

Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

12,245 posts, read 5,341,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Exactly. And what always frosts me about the overpopulation in Florida is that the local politicians, Chamber of Commerce and realtors bend over backwards encouraging, heck, aggressively pushing ever more development, more uncontrolled influx of transplants into not just coastal areas ( which are pretty much built to capacity), but also inland where they're overrunning the state's natural resources. And then when hurricanes threaten, they pretty much throw up their hands in despair at the daunting task of evacuating all these people to safety.
OK but short of putting in laws restricting population growth, what would you have them do? Development doesn't happen unless there is a demand for it.

Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM

113 posts, read 46,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
You left out the extreme heat,110+ degs some areas, monsoons and the tax on SS for high income earners. Thanks, Ill pass.
I guess you missed the “home in the mountains” part. Glorious weather in the 70’s here today, with some “spectacular” monsoon storms. And not sure where you get the ss tax info, we are, by anyone’s account, considered high earners, yet no state tax on SS. But glad you enjoy NorCal. You can keep it! I’ll happily come visit though.

Last edited by Movn-on; Yesterday at 09:53 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM
JRR

3,824 posts, read 2,298,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Then they must have paid cash and not carried insurance on those homes
People w/mortgages usually are required by mortgage companies to carry insurance including flood insurance
Most people are smart to carry it even if they are not in flood plain...

And if you cant afford insurance you canít afford a home
I remember an article in the Vero Beach FL newspaper several years ago about people who had older, paid for homes on the barrier island. Because of the sky high rates, some of them chose to go without insurance. One guy said that if his home got badly damaged that he would just sell the land and move on.

Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM

3,718 posts, read 2,869,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Itís also a gas that traps heat if it gets in the atmosphere.
On Venus. That has never shown to be true experimentally on earth. This is trash science for here. CO2 doesnít have enough presence in the atmosphere to do that....on earth.

Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
OK but short of putting in laws restricting population growth, what would you have them do? Development doesn't happen unless there is a demand for it.
Yes.... if you want to handle global warming(not real but its what they want) then the only thing that we can really do is pass laws limiting population growth. But that would actually hurt, and having awareness marches doesnít hurt.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I'm not saying that the infections never happen in Florida. But it sort of like Lyme Disease in Maine. Some people are going to have a problem with it. But to the vast majority it is just something that they read about.
Yeah... I have chronic Lyme. Do you?

Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM

4,460 posts, read 6,011,346 times
I was living in Philly (my hometown) when Hurricane Irene hit. It was only a Cat-1 and it made landfall on the coast in MD far from where I was, but it was still scary as heck. We were all on Facebook in the beginning, joking around...but when the worst of it came, nobody was joking anymore. The rain caused all kinds of flooding. My house didn't lose power but other sections of the neighborhood were without power for a week. Basements flooded due to sump pumps with no electricity. The worst was when I found out that a friend's sister had drowned because of it. She worked at a supermarket and went in around 2 or 3 AM to relieve the young folks with families. I have no idea why she did this, but she took some back roads and apparently tried to drive through a flooded creek. I also have no idea why she didn't call 911, but she got out of the car and got swept away. She could not swim. Her car was found by the cops and towed. The next day, her frantic family searched the creek bed, finally finding her shoe...and then her body. I can't even think of her terror.

I also lived there when Sandy hit. We felt the effects, but of course Jersey and then NY got the worst of it. But still, very stressful leading up to it.

I also was visiting my old neighborhood up there a few years ago right after "straight-line winds" (from a thunderstorm) had blown roofs off and took trees down, including a tree next to my old house which crashed through the fence that I had installed.

So I guess my point is, disasters can happen up North too.

Old Today, 12:55 AM

7,721 posts, read 3,235,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
One guy said that if his home got badly damaged that he would just sell the land and move on.
You mean he'd try to sell his vulnerable little patch of sand, right? Why anyone would build a house on a barrier island is another head scratcher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement