U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:15 AM

8,277 posts, read 12,041,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
People seem to lump all of Florida together. It's a diverse state with many personalities. Know what you want then choose wisely. If I liken it to Massachusetts, there is Boston, western MA, coastal MA, and Cape Cod where we used to live. Again, something for everybody. Just know what you like and go for it.
+1

Every time one of these threads is created, people come out of the woodwork to bash Florida. And they always describe "Florida" as if it is a single location such as a small town somewhere rather than a diverse area that is over 800 miles long from tip to tip. Just think about that for a moment. The distance from Key West to Pensacola is roughly the same as Savanah, Georgia, to Manhattan. Would anyone in his or her right mind describe someone or some place in Georgia as being exactly the same as Virginia, Maryland or PA? If someone in South Carolina or North Carolina does something stupid, should we start referring to such people as East Coast Man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:13 AM

9,497 posts, read 8,496,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Actually, Door County has only about four months of winter, according to the following:

https://www.wisconline.com/counties/door/climate.html

If anyone has lived there year-round for more than a couple of years and can tell me otherwise, I'm "all ears", lol. Anyway, even if there is more than four months, I would like that better than Alabama or Phoenix type of weather! Again, as has been said over and over again and is SO true, people certainly do like different environments, weather and otherwise!

(Of course, winter can be defined differently, according to preferences, I think. My definition of winter is many consecutive days in which the daily high is not above freezing.)
Okay, three of those months the daily temp never gets above freezing.

I understand many can't deal with the heat but that is nuts.

Old Today, 09:25 AM

4,377 posts, read 6,121,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
+1

Every time one of these threads is created, people come out of the woodwork to bash Florida. And they always describe "Florida" as if it is a single location such as a small town somewhere rather than a diverse area that is over 800 miles long from tip to tip. Just think about that for a moment. The distance from Key West to Pensacola is roughly the same as Savanah, Georgia, to Manhattan. Would anyone in his or her right mind describe someone or some place in Georgia as being exactly the same as Virginia, Maryland or PA? If someone in South Carolina or North Carolina does something stupid, should we start referring to such people as East Coast Man?
Haters gotta hate.

Old Today, 09:27 AM

9,923 posts, read 7,194,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The guy you are responding to, "Nov3" user name, just sent me an insulting DM. Can you believe that? LOL Sending a direct message to my account. Stalker material.
Lots of us told him off. I laughed in my cereal bowl at how strange it was, did you get the same?
No, guess I got lucky, LOL. Or you got lucky, depends on the perspective.

You could probably report that DM for TOS violations.

Old Today, 10:07 AM

479 posts, read 866,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The hurricane is only one issue. Hot and humid and buggy is way bigger and frequent. Some of the nation's worst health care also comes to mind. Then there is the culture.....
Tampa's summer humidity is enough to wish for a Hurricane to come though. It's no wonder it's home to so many nudist resorts. Wearing clothes in 90s heat/humidity sucks. The East coast is much more pleasant, but yeah, that can come at a cost.

Old Today, 10:17 AM

3,013 posts, read 4,428,715 times
Florida's health care is right in the middle of states. Rural areas have limited access due to concentrations of citizens to the coast and urban areas.

Cleveland Clinic very active in Florida https://www.floridatrend.com/article...-buying-others

Old Today, 10:25 AM

30,220 posts, read 2,582,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Okay, three of those months the daily temp never gets above freezing.

I understand many can't deal with the heat but that is nuts.
You know, blueherons, living up north isn't for everyone just like living down south isn't for everyone. Your repeated bashing is getting old. Personally I love living up north, have lived most of my life up north, and even lived in Iceland for three years. I love snow and I still take my daily walks in temps as low as 10 below zero, as long as there's no wind.

However, I have also lived in the south for several years while still connected with the Navy. I did not care for it, but I made the best of it at the time. Do I want to go visit family and friends that now live in the south? Yes, but I'll do it in the winter months, but not to escape my northern winter but to visit down there in months I can tolerate your southern weather.

So, it is not "nuts" to live up north and I am very glad everyone doesn't like it up here.

Good day!

Last edited by geebabe; Today at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Good day!

Old Today, 10:31 AM

Garden of Eden wasn't a ski resort..... just sayin'

lol

Old Today, 10:33 AM

30,220 posts, read 2,582,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Garden of Eden wasn't a ski resort..... just sayin'

lol
No, it was a myth.

Old Today, 10:37 AM

That was Atlantis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement