U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM

737 posts, read 221,156 times

Advertisements

Math, as a Wisconsin native winter is realistically 5-6 months there. Give me cold any day over excessive heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

6,731 posts, read 10,790,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Hurricane—that’s it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker I’ve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I don’t see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesn’t require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?
Obvious that your hysterical thinking about Florida and such is shaped by mass media. Whatever.

So, yes, please do not come to Florida and go elsewhere, let us "worry" about hurricanes and such.

We'll be fine, thanks.

Anyway, try Nevada, Arizona, inland Texas, Tennessee, Oregon, Wyoming, to name a few mass areas without local specification, personal experience, and real knowledge on the ground and at sea.

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

3,014 posts, read 4,432,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Math, as a Wisconsin native winter is realistically 5-6 months there. Give me cold any day over excessive heat.
Are you warm on a cold day? and which one will kill you every time?

... just sayin'

Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM

30,910 posts, read 49,865,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
States with high heat are commonly stereotypes as places where retirees settle.

For some people can not handle the cold. My father was very cold sensitive.

But what state has the highest percentage of retirees? Oh a Northern state.

Clearly many of us retirees like the cold.

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

7,290 posts, read 1,588,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
No, it was a myth.
I wish I could rep you AGAIN! (I like the way you think. )

P.S. Rhetorical question: Why can't people simply agree to disagree about preferences? It is not like my preference for a four-seasons state affects anyone who prefers the Arizona desert, or vice versa. (Just to leave Florida out of it, lol.)

Last edited by katharsis; Yesterday at 11:41 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

30,220 posts, read 2,582,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I wish I could rep you AGAIN! (I like the way you think. )

P.S. Rhetorical question: Why can't people simply agree to disagree about preferences? It is not like my preference for a four-seasons state affect anyone who prefers the Arizona desert, or vice versa. (Just to leave Florida out of it, lol.)
Thanks, katharsis!

Good rhetorical question! I just don't get some people's rude remarks regarding different places to live. I mean, they should just be happy that not everyone wants to live where they're living, wherever that happens to be.

Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

32,332 posts, read 37,069,038 times
Population of FL has exploded over the last 40 years and now the 3rd most populous state. (Similar to Texas and other southern states)

Population of NY state is shrinking or level and people are fleeing many of these Northern states.

The warm Southern states are not for everyone but many Northerners have decided it is for them regardless of hurricanes, Tornadoes and alligators.

Many Southerners would say that's a shame.

Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

406 posts, read 66,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Oh, but it's a dry heat. 114į +
Anything much above 110 is very rare - there were only 14 days of 115+ in the last 30 years in Phoenix https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...emperature.php , that is about 1 day every other year on average, not normal temps. In Phoenix, on average there are 35 days a year with apparent temp above 105. The heat in LV or AZ at 105+ affects me much less than 95+ with high humidity in FL or LA - and I have lived in LV, FL and NOLA areas.

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

406 posts, read 66,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Summer temps can reach as high as 120 some years. That in itself is a natural disaster, LOL
Give me a break - Phoenix has hit 120 only two years ever, last time was almost 25 years ago - https://www.currentresults.com/Yearl...emperature.php , Tucson, AZ https://www.currentresults.com/Yearl...emperature.php and Las Vegas, NV have never hit 120 https://www.currentresults.com/Yearl...emperature.php .

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

87 posts, read 55,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Hurricaneóthatís it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker Iíve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I donít see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesnít require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?

Janeace, of all the things I dislike about Florida that I can't wait to leave, I can honestly say hurricanes are not nearly the worst. Unlike other natural disasters (wildfires, tornadoes, earthquakes), you know a hurricane is coming well in advance. Storm surge and flooding are the most life-threatening issues, but won't really affect you as long as you live inland and are not in a flood zone. Wind damage is always a cause for concern for mobile homes, but most block homes built within the last 20-ish years are made to withstand up to Cat 2 force winds. Where I am in Tampa storms rarely make it this far inland without losing most of their strength. Power outages are what most people will experience, and it's a real pain when your A/C and fridge go out (and if you're on well water with an electric pump that sucks too), but you learn to prepare by always having clean bottled water on hand (not waiting to buy until the middle of hurricane season when it's flying off shelves), by stocking your pantry with non-perishables and cooking up the food in your fridge / freezer in the days leading up to the storm so you don't have so much to lose if power goes out. Even better, you invest in a generator. When Irma passed through here in 2017, our power flickered twice, but for most of the evening we were playing Nintendo, and never did completely lose power (though many people I know in nearby areas weren't as lucky and went without electricity for several days).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The hurricane is only one issue. Hot and humid and buggy is way bigger and frequent. Some of the nation's worst health care also comes to mind. Then there is the culture.....
^^^^ These above things are far more bothersome IMO. Add the terrible drivers, rampant over-development and terrible roads, and it all equals major frustrations that you have to deal with on a daily basis, rather than once or twice a year during peak hurricane season. Oh, and sinkholes. Though major ones are rare, I know of at least 2 in my metro area that have opened suddenly and swallowed homes within hours. THAT is freaky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement