U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 01:29 PM

4,570 posts, read 2,945,336 times

Advertisements

By way from someone who's already retired lived there, a couple says Las Vegas is excellent if you can still drive yourself. The Strip is traffic laden, but you can always take "backways" to circumvent that.

I'm surprised people STILL want to bother with Florida despite decade after decade after decade of hurricanes, and other issues (e.g. weather, humid, hot). But hey, it's STILL popular, so there's gotta be some charm there! [shrug]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 01:46 PM

3,023 posts, read 4,435,147 times
Explore and marvel... turn off the ac and roll the windows down.

https://backroadplanet.com/how-to-se...ial-web-sites/

Old 09-04-2019, 01:53 PM

9,499 posts, read 8,501,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
You know, blueherons, living up north isn't for everyone just like living down south isn't for everyone. Your repeated bashing is getting old. Personally I love living up north, have lived most of my life up north, and even lived in Iceland for three years. I love snow and I still take my daily walks in temps as low as 10 below zero, as long as there's no wind.

However, I have also lived in the south for several years while still connected with the Navy. I did not care for it, but I made the best of it at the time. Do I want to go visit family and friends that now live in the south? Yes, but I'll do it in the winter months, but not to escape my northern winter but to visit down there in months I can tolerate your southern weather.

So, it is not "nuts" to live up north and I am very glad everyone doesn't like it up here.

Good day!
You know geebabe, I've never bashed the north. Not once. In fact, if you click on my name you'll see where I said in another thread how much I love Milwaukee.

Repeated bashing? Not me.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:57 PM

4,711 posts, read 3,539,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Hurricaneóthatís it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker Iíve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I donít see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesnít require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?

My father was born near Tampa in 1929. In the 90 years since then, he never experienced a direct hit from a hurricane. These "more frequent and stronger storms" are not a recent phenomena. Google "Labor Day Hurricane of 1935" to see that the strength of a hurricane is not necessarily tied to the "climate".

Every retirement locale has its share of pros and cons. New York seems to have more cons (both in elected office, and in reality), and I understand why you would want to move. But anywhere you go is going to have some challenges.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:29 PM

154 posts, read 76,142 times
"end of Fl as a retirement destination" on a Hurricane that mostly missed Florida.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:51 PM

30,223 posts, read 2,583,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You know geebabe, I've never bashed the north. Not once. In fact, if you click on my name you'll see where I said in another thread how much I love Milwaukee.

Repeated bashing? Not me.
Too funny!!! I don't care enough to go digging through posts, so have it your way. Bye-bye.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:58 PM

5,805 posts, read 4,555,489 times
For me, its Texas, Nevada or Delaware

Old 09-04-2019, 03:10 PM

14,451 posts, read 45,355,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Omitted is the preponderance of insects.

Well, technically spiders and scorpions are not insects, but arachnids - and you got plenty of them, and big ones, around Tuscon. Not sure they are much of an improvement over palmetto bugs.

Old 09-04-2019, 03:31 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,099,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
On Venus. That has never shown to be true experimentally on earth. This is trash science for here. CO2 doesn’t have enough presence in the atmosphere to do that....on earth.
Not going to even try to explain the science to someone that feels this way. Believe what you want to believe. As a double science major I disagree.

Have a good day but remember just because that’s what you believe doesn’t make it true.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:20 PM

115 posts, read 25,501 times
Tennessee, Arkansas, inland portions of Texas, Oklahoma, inland portions of Virginia, inland portions of North Carolina and inland portions of Alabama are safe from hurricanes but still have a humid subtropical climate. You may not be able to grow live oaks and spanish moss, but you can grow southern magnolias and a few cold-hardy palms (I live in middle TN and am growing two needle palms myself).

Plus, Virginia and Alabama do still have major cities away from the water, even if not in the way Texas does; Roanoke and Huntsville, respectively. However, an inland major city in North Carolina may not be easy to find, if even possible, so Roanoke or middle/east Tennessee would probably be best if you want a similar climate to western NC but in a major city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement