U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 10:16 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,440,357 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI... Apples - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 06:42 AM

8,016 posts, read 11,778,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
That's just one of the reasons why we're moving to Door County (Wisconsin). They have had a very nasty tornado and one devastating fire (in 1876), but that's about it for natural disasters.

The following disaster map is interesting.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/d...Map/Dashboard1
And long hard winters

Old 09-05-2019, 06:56 AM

20,083 posts, read 20,198,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
In Florida ... look for mature Live Oaks as a "sign", of an area that has not been exposed to strong Hurricanes.
I just read this and have to say that's not a good sign. I lost a good deal of my house attachments to Irma but my huge live oak just lost a lot of it's leaves.
They are one of the most hurricane resistant trees there are.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:42 AM

14,616 posts, read 8,069,155 times
I have friends that retired there and are moving back to Illinois because of the hurricanes. It was never on my top ten places to retire. It's a nice place to visit but......

Old 09-05-2019, 10:21 AM

955 posts, read 329,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I just read this and have to say that's not a good sign. I lost a good deal of my house attachments to Irma but my huge live oak just lost a lot of it's leaves.
Dont build right on the coast and avoid areas that typically flood during heavy summer thunderstorms. I spent years living on the stormy West coast of Ireland and never had a problem because I was on top of a hill and a couple miles inland. Its no guarantee but its a common sense precaution. Too many people put scenery over safety.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:22 AM

3,620 posts, read 4,976,863 times
I think the thing that will sink retirement in Florida will be in the next 20 to 50 years as the sea levels continue to rise and the auquifer depletes. That will be a major event that people won't be able to control.

The hurricanes won't help, either. The thought that all your worldly possessions and even your life could be gone with the wind and water would be terrifying. Even if you survive and the house just has damage, it's a major inconvenience because electricity and water are out for days, and the thought of having to scrounge for food and fuel for possibly weeks would do it for me. And it happens with regularity. I don't think 20 million people were meant to live on such a delicate ecosystem.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:29 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,440,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Partly true, but severe hurricanes take them down or they break. Your personal experience doesn't apply throughout the SE. Like I said earlier I've responded to over 50 hurricanes and have seen how they are a benchmark (not in absolute terms) of hurricane severity.

Your house attachments may have been weaker than the tree and what was the wind speed? was the tree sheltered? etc, etc.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:43 PM

8,486 posts, read 11,289,428 times
IF you only just NOW figured out that they have hurricanes in Florida, you'd better let someone more alert do your retirement planning.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:52 PM

25,655 posts, read 41,977,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Hurricaneóthatís it, Florida is off the list. As a New Yorker Iíve always placed Florida on the top of my retirement home search list. In fact I have a another visit to Tampa area already planned in a couple months. But with this major hurricane headed to Florida I can only think living there is too much of a stress and hassle. Time to look for less greener pastures, I guess. Hard to give up the dream. These more frequent and stronger storms I believe are the result of climate change...and I donít see that issue being addressed. Any advice as to where to move that doesnít require hurricane shutters, evacuations and weeks with electricity?
I was born a "New Yorker", born in The Bronx, then grew up in Miami and then lived in 10 more states (and two + countries)... Everyplace I have lived had a degree of "stress and hassle"

There are times I miss Florida, we have gone back a few times. However we retired in New Mexico (originally my wife had a good job there and I commuted to Washington D.C.).

We sometimes departed Florida to other locations when the storms came. But at those times it was not an issue, I haven't kept track of all the hurricanes.

I don't see what you can do about "I believe are the result of climate change..." or if it is an issue...

In the words of Roseanne Roseannadanna: "Well, Jane, it just goes to show you, it's always something ó if it ain't one thing, it's another."

Good luck to you and your choice!

Old 09-05-2019, 01:08 PM

41,786 posts, read 3,188,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
IF you only just NOW figured out that they have hurricanes in Florida, you'd better let someone more alert do your retirement planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement