U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:42 PM

14,460 posts, read 7,719,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Some people don't want the stress and all the prep work that goes into living in hurricane alley. It's not worth it to them regardless of how much money and insurane they have or how high their homes are from possible flooding. Retirement should be as stress free as possible.

If you're at 50 feet MSL like I am, any stress is self-inflicted. I'm not going to flood. I cut the trees that could fall on my house years ago. I have plenty of other things to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:53 PM

634 posts, read 127,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you're at 50 feet MSL like I am, any stress is self-inflicted. I'm not going to flood. I cut the trees that could fall on my house years ago. I have plenty of other things to worry about.

Well, you could always get a tsunami from the Azores-Gibraltar Transform Fault. Then you'd be sorry I'll betcha.

Old Today, 04:03 PM

242 posts, read 31,414 times
I dunno. I live where we get tornadoes. Seems like with hurricanes you get a lot more advance warning. Everywhere has its pluses and minuses.

Old Today, 04:32 PM

4,813 posts, read 3,340,156 times
I am in central New York state.

The only really bad weather comes in winter with sizable amounts of snowfall and very cold temperatures.

I'll take that any day of the week.

Old Today, 04:37 PM

15,328 posts, read 31,442,394 times
Born and raised in Florida, now 70 y. o., have been impacted three times, and none too terrible by hurricanes. Always lived near coast but we are moving to central FL next month to some of the highest ground in the state and away from both coasts. I love my homestate and don't care to move. Love the fauna and flora here, it's like nowhere else.

Old Today, 04:42 PM

3,697 posts, read 2,863,252 times
You are aware that a major hurricane(cat 3 or above) has not hit the US in more than 9 years, right? So much for increasingly giant storms.

Old Today, 04:45 PM

3,697 posts, read 2,863,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Love the fauna and flora here, it's like nowhere else.
Poisonous Snakes, alligators, poisonous spiders, and bacterial diseases that donít exist in Maine, for example.

Old Today, 04:52 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,448,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post

The only really bad weather comes in winter with sizable amounts of snowfall and very cold temperatures.

and see I'm the exact opposite. I was in Rome NY for a while, still have many relatives there.
I got so depressed I had to go on medication.
That was enough for me.

I'll take hurricanes for 100 Alex, any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Old Today, 04:56 PM
JRR

3,800 posts, read 2,288,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
You are aware that a major hurricane(cat 3 or above) has not hit the US in more than 9 years, right? So much for increasingly giant storms.
Are you sure about that statement?

Old Today, 04:58 PM

7,158 posts, read 8,249,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post

Me too. In northern Maine, snow is about the only downside. But I have a plow and with the 3 dogs plus any available grandchildren, we take off and have a blast plowing snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Poisonous Snakes, alligators, poisonous spiders, and bacterial diseases that donít exist in Maine, for example.
Howdy neighbor! Glad to see you had the good sense to head for "the last frontier of the east"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement