U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 08:53 AM

3,128 posts, read 4,459,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
In the south, it's really important to have a really big deck all your friends can enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z_XVioiKXM
My deck is huge...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 10:41 AM

1,372 posts, read 3,517,617 times
I live in Maryland. I get enough hot and muggy weather up here. I have never had any desire to move to Florida for that reason. Plus I don't have a beach body.

I have always had a desire to retire in Maine. I don't know why, though. I hate the cold just as much as I hate the hot and muggy weather.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:33 PM

25,697 posts, read 42,046,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I live in Maryland. I get enough hot and muggy weather up here. I have never had any desire to move to Florida for that reason. Plus I don't have a beach body.

I have always had a desire to retire in Maine. I don't know why, though. I hate the cold just as much as I hate the hot and muggy weather.
We have lived in Maryland and Florida. Some parts of Maryland can be more humid and muggier than some parts of Florida...

Old 09-06-2019, 08:57 PM

183 posts, read 114,547 times
My husband says he would love to retire to Florida. I have no qualms about hurricanes as we live on the east coast, but no way would I move to Florida. It is hazy, hot and humid here in Va. Why would I want that almost year round? l love summer, but also fall weather. I need my 4 seasons. Something Florida lacks. I love an occasional snow fall too. And if you are far south in Florida is it such a long drive out to get to any other state. Florida is great to visit, couldn't live there. And I don't think hurricanes will keep people from going there to retire though if it is what they desire.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:09 PM
JRR

3,867 posts, read 2,319,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marid4061 View Post
My husband says he would love to retire to Florida. I have no qualms about hurricanes as we live on the east coast, but no way would I move to Florida. It is hazy, hot and humid here in Va. Why would I want that almost year round? l love summer, but also fall weather. I need my 4 seasons. Something Florida lacks. I love an occasional snow fall too. And if you are far south in Florida is it such a long drive out to get to any other state. Florida is great to visit, couldn't live there. And I don't think hurricanes will keep people from going there to retire though if it is what they desire.
Having a distinct 4 seasons was a large part of why we left Florida. Even though it seems like summer wants to hang around this year, I know that soon the temps will be dropping. Love those crisp days with the trees turned all the different colors. Then later on, we will be watching to see when we will be getting that first bit of snow.
In my 50 years in Florida, it snowed one time. I like a little more than that. And spring here is just a constant parade of beautiful blooming/bulbs/shrubs/trees

Old 09-07-2019, 08:10 AM

159 posts, read 82,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marid4061 View Post
Not trying to sway, just sharing experiences from a native, lifelong south/central Floridian pushing 40.

"Hazy" only for maybe a month or two during pollen season in the spring, otherwise the air tends to stay relatively clear and fresh most of the year as the sea breezes pass over the peninsula. (There may be a very infrequent passage of a fine atmospheric layer of Saharan dust for a few days to a week off the tradewinds.)

"Hot"...Pretty much guaranteed at all times between April-October. November-March will see cold fronts sweeping down about once every week to ten days, which dip peninsula temperatures into the 50s-60s for a few days to a week at a time, and occasionally down into the 30s-40s for maybe a few nights at a time. Between fronts, the temps will come back up into the 70s and occasionally touch the lower 80s.

"Humid"...Tends to follow the "hot" pattern above, although April and sometimes May can still see relatively low humidity for long stretches at a time until the daily thunderstorm pattern kicks into effect by June. Humid almost continuously from then until the cold front pattern kicks in around late October-early November which, after frontal passage, drops the humidity way down for a few days until the temps creep back up, another front passes, and the cycle repeats itself at least through late March.

Traveling...Living most of my life in South Florida, I've never left the state by car, but plenty of times comfortably by plane. The cost of gas alone for a round-trip to, say, Atlanta and back is easily the cost of the same round-trip airline ticket...and I'd much rather be relaxing shoulder-to-shoulder in an airplane for about an hour and a half each way while someone else does the "driving", than zombied out behind the wheel for 9 hours plus a couple fill-ups/meals/restrooms each way. The "agony" of driving so far to leave the state from South Florida (at least to reach a meaningful destination rather than to simply cross the border) has therefore never really been felt because it's never been required to be the sole option.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:30 AM

36 posts, read 11,272 times
I just moved to Orlando from Massachusetts. I've been here a little over a week. Went through the Hurrican Dorian scare starting on my second day. I'm still in my move-in honeymoon period but I will take the hurricane prep and even evacuation as the price you pay to be warm all of the time. It helps that I'm renting and sold all of the stuff before moving. I will not worry about damage or break-ins if I have to evacuate because there is very little to lose.

I'm very cold intolerant and every year in the northeast it got worse. The FL heat and humidity don't bother me. I'm the only one in the complex right now out on my porch. The rest of the native Floridians are inside. The only time I'm cold now is when I go in to Target or Publix and the AC is cranked way too high. Floridians loooove their AC.

Old 09-07-2019, 10:45 AM

There are very few "native" Floridians in Orlando ... lol. Well, one of my kids in native, so there's that.

Hope all goes well for you in your new state. Travel around and discover the real Florida. Many places like this wait to be re discovered.
https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...ngs-state-park

Old 09-07-2019, 03:11 PM

20,313 posts, read 19,292,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
There are very few "native" Floridians in Orlando ... lol. Well, one of my kids in native, so there's that.

Hope all goes well for you in your new state. Travel around and discover the real Florida. Many places like this wait to be re discovered.
https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...ngs-state-park
It's been a long time since I've been to Florida, with the exception of a cruise, but one of the best state parks is Wakulla Springs, mentioned above. It had just about everything I'd go to Florida before and staying overnight was a real treat. Then, way back in the 1970s we went to Pennecamp State Park for scuba diving and we were the only ones there! Several of the state parks we had all to ourselves and they were pristine and fascinating.

Of course Everglades is a national park, but cruising along with a real Seminole Indian guide on a boat that glided over the "sea of grass" was a thrill and just to observe the everglades in winter was interesting. I think a lot of that has changed so I'm glad I saw it while it was still relatively unspoiled.

I hope the state parks are still as they used to be. There were other wonderful state parks that we camped in with our tent back in the day. Any time there's a good place, however, it seems to get destroyed by too many people. Maybe that's why that cruise port is so awfully ugly and tacky. It may have been Port Canaveral. What a dump. Not the real Florida at all! So thank goodness for the beautiful state parks.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:20 PM

The State parks in Florida are lightly used compared to the population, since a lot of residents are "afraid" of gators, snakes and bugs... not to mention they're old. I'm old too, but very outdoorsy. Still dive, RV, boating/fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, and a 27' travel trailer. The weekends are busy with working young people so I tend to do my "stuff" Monday to Friday, kinda like a job.

livin' the dream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement